The Music Room > Opera and Vocal

~ Baroque Opera ~

(1/57) > >>

Harry:
I love all operas by Lully, Rameau, and the likes. Gardiner recorded alot of them, and I hope, that Warner bundles them together for a nice price.

FideLeo:

--- Quote from: Harry on June 23, 2007, 07:46:08 AM ---I love all operas by Lully, Rameau, and the likes. Gardiner recorded alot of them, and I hope, that Warner bundles them together for a nice price.

--- End quote ---

The same description applies to Minkowski as well, who made the only (so far) and really superb recording of Marin Marais's "Alcyone".  Lully's "Phaeton" and Remeau's "Platee" are also worth a hear (all Erato/Warner).

Que:

--- Quote from: Harry on June 23, 2007, 07:46:08 AM ---I love all operas by Lully, Rameau, and the likes. Gardiner recorded alot of them, and I hope, that Warner bundles them together for a nice price.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: masolino on June 23, 2007, 07:54:18 AM ---The same description applies to Minkowski as well, who made the only (so far) and really superb recording of Marin Marais's "Alcyone".  Lully's "Phaeton" and Rameau's "Platee" are also worth a hear (all Erato/Warner).
--- End quote ---

OK, you guys. Give a novice like me a recommendation for a superb French baroque opera!
Where shall I start? Names and numbers please! :)

Thanks! :)

Q

Harry:

--- Quote from: Que on June 23, 2007, 09:08:41 AM ---OK, you guys. Give a novice like me a recommendation for a superb French baroque opera!

Q

--- End quote ---

Q, pick any of the Rameau's on Erato, they are all fine!

FideLeo:

--- Quote from: Que on June 23, 2007, 09:08:41 AM ---OK, you guys. Give a novice like me a recommendation for a superb French baroque opera!

Q

--- End quote ---

For many the ULTIMATE French baroque opera (in the category of tragédies lyriques anyway)
isn't one by Lully or Rameau, but Médée composed by Marc-Antoine Charpentier (libretto:
Thomas Corneille). William Christie recorded it twice (for HM and Erato respectively), although
the general preference is for the later Erato version with the late Lorraine Hunt in the title role.
It is said that Charpentier instilled into the genre a rare psychological complexity that
can be utterly challenging and rewarding to attentive listeners.  The HM version, furthermore,
is cut in several places, but it has its share of supporters.  I am most fascinated by
the vocal style of haute-contres in this period, and Mark Padmore does a most convincing
job as a French baroque Heldentenor  :D

wiki article

4509-96558-2 (Erato)
HM901139-41 (Harmonia mundi)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version