~ Baroque Opera ~

Started by Harry, June 23, 2007, 08:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: The new erato on October 15, 2014, 02:17:25 AM
That ship has sailed for me I'm afraid.

I don't know if the complete inability to resist buying Rameau CDs is a blessing or a curse.

Up until a moment ago, I was the only person I knew who couldn't walk past a disc that had the word "Rameau" on the front. I'm glad to meet a fellow PPORG.*

(*Persistent Purchaser Of Rameau Goods.)

ritter

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 15, 2014, 03:18:45 AM
I don't know if the complete inability to resist buying Rameau CDs is a blessing or a curse.

Up until a moment ago, I was the only person I knew who couldn't walk past a disc that had the word "Rameau" on the front. I'm glad to meet a fellow PPORG.*

(*Persistent Purchaser Of Rameau Goods.)
Well, I'm afraid I may have been infected  ::)...it seems like a mild afflication at present, but, doctor, ¿does it necessarily get worse?  :o

;)

JCBuckley

Quote from: ritter on October 15, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
Well, I'm afraid I may have been infected  ::)...it seems like a mild afflication at present, but, doctor, ¿does it necessarily get worse?  :o

;)

I think it does. My Rameau habit quickly developed into full-blown French Baroque addiction, which has required regular & expensive doses of Marais, Dauvergne, Destouches, Boismortier, Royer, De Lalande, Couperin, Charpentier - and of course lashes of Lully. Next up: Lully's Atys, released in the UK next week, from the team that brought us the new Indes Galantes.

Moonfish

Quote from: ritter on October 15, 2014, 03:44:44 AM

;)

I think Peter PP is a carrier of the Rameau virus! I think I am coming down with something Baroque!    :P
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

ritter

Quote from: JCBuckley on October 15, 2014, 05:23:27 AM
I think it does. My Rameau habit quickly developed into full-blown French Baroque addiction, which has required regular & expensive doses of Marais, Dauvergne, Destouches, Boismortier, Royer, De Lalande, Couperin, Charpentier - and of course lashes of Lully. Next up: Lully's Atys, released in the UK next week, from the team that brought us the new Indes Galantes.
Well, I myself have always been a sucker for tragédies en musique, but this particular Rameau-craze is some sort of new strain... :)

Have you heard Atys before? Wonderful, wonderful piece...."Dormons, dormons tous" . I still cherish the memory of seeing Christie and his Les Arts Florissants do it in the beautiful Villégier staging here in Madrid in the late 80s... :) :) :)

Moonfish

Succumbed and received the recent Erato compilation today. A mild fever has started...... hmmmmmm

[asin] B00KYMJ4H4[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Testing the waters from this compilation with "Les Fetes d'Hebe".  Wish me luck!

[asin] B000006CS2[/asin]
Anna Lappé

ritter

Well, I see Les Boréades looming in the listening horizon for tonight... :)

JCBuckley

Quote from: ritter on October 15, 2014, 07:14:24 AM

Have you heard Atys before? Wonderful, wonderful piece...."Dormons, dormons tous" . I still cherish the memory of seeing Christie and his Les Arts Florissants do it in the beautiful Villégier staging here in Madrid in the late 80s... :) :) :)

I have the Christie recording of Atys, and have watched the Villégier production on DVD - but am deeply envious that you saw it on stage.

Have you seen the Haim/Alexandre production of Hippolyte et Aricie? From the clips on YouTube, it looks wonderful.

ritter

Quote from: JCBuckley on October 15, 2014, 07:40:36 AM

Have you seen the Haim/Alexandre production of Hippolyte et Aricie? From the clips on YouTube, it looks wonderful.
Nope...but a friend of mine saw it live at the Palais Garnier and was overwhelmd...He arrived at the conclusion that Hippolyte is, along with Pelléas et Mélisande and Les Troyens one of the greatest French operas ever! I must seek out that DVD (oh, this fever, this fever  ::) )

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: JCBuckley on October 15, 2014, 07:40:36 AM
I have the Christie recording of Atys, and have watched the Villégier production on DVD - but am deeply envious that you saw it on stage.

It sure does.

http://www.youtube.com/v/W-5qzH0d2Hg

http://www.youtube.com/v/wZdrNY_TA78

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Moonfish on October 15, 2014, 07:19:21 AM
Testing the waters from this compilation with "Les Fetes d'Hebe".  Wish me luck!

[asin] B000006CS2[/asin]

There are three available recordings featuring Les Fêtes d'Hébé:
If you're interested in comparing the different styles of each conductor, here's the same excerpt from the opera:

Les Fêtes d'Hébé ou Les Talens Liriques, Acte III "La Danse", Scène 6 - Premier et Deuxième Gavottes
Les Arts Florissants / William Christie
http://www.youtube.com/v/5EhV90J08jA

Les Fêtes d'Hébé (Paris, 1739. Suite from the Opéra-ballet) - Gavottes en rondeau pour les bergers
Orchestra of the 18th Century / Frans Brüggen
http://www.youtube.com/v/kqfovCIWmec

Les Fêtes d'Hébé, 3ème Entrée: La Danse, Acte de ballet - 2 Gavottes en Rondeau
Monteverdi Orchestra / John Eliot Gardiner
http://www.youtube.com/v/a8GJtRm9VFw

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: JCBuckley on October 15, 2014, 05:23:27 AM
[snip] ... My Rameau habit quickly developed into full-blown French Baroque addiction ... [snip]

I know exactly where you're coming from, JC.

For anyone who likes Rameau's operas and wants to see what else is out there, I can thoroughly recommend Mondonville's Les Fêtes de Paphos. It's very Rameau-ian, though not as innovative. (I'd call it "Rameau-Lite".) It is, however, very enjoyable for anyone who's been bitten by the Rameau bug. I'd go so far as to say Les Fêtes de Paphos is the best Rameau opera not written by Rameau.

Here it is:

Mondonville - Les Fêtes de Paphos (1758)

Sandrine Piau (sop)
Véronique Gens (sop)
Agnès Mellon (sop)
Jean-Paul Fouchécourt (ten)
Olivier Lallouette (bar)
Peter Harvey (bar)
James Oxley (ten)

Les Talens Lyriques / Christophe Rousset
(Recorded 1997)

Amazon.com

CD 1
http://www.youtube.com/v/Z3Ylx6fxcCU

CD 2
http://www.youtube.com/v/Dx3-jdlcI8k

JCBuckley

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 24, 2014, 12:01:16 AM

I'd go so far as to say Les Fêtes de Paphos is the best Rameau opera not written by Rameau.

I wish I'd thought of that - brilliantly put, PPP.

I was sent a review copy of Les Fêtes de Paphos when it was released, but failed to appreciate it at the time. Now, approaching Mondonville after immersion in Rameau and his precursors, I can only wonder why I was so obtuse. You have his Grands Motets, I assume?

Peter Power Pop

And in the expensive corner...

Mondonville - Titon et l'Aurore
Les Musiciens du Louvre / Marc Minkowski

eBay: US$164.75 (Yes, really.)

And it's not even new.

At least over at Amazon.com it's a much more reasonable US$30.17 (also used, but affordable).

Que

Hi everybody. :)

I'm pleased to see that the interest in Barroque opera and French Baroque music in general has been rekindled! :)

I have made an adjustment by widening the scope of this thread to all Baroque Opera. Currently there is no designated place on the Opera and Vocal board to post about non-French opera, and more/separate threads does not make much sense.

In addition, some non-opera posts have been moved to the French Baroque thread

Q

Que

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Que on November 08, 2014, 11:38:44 AM
New:

Q

À chacun son goût.

Your signature: "À chacun son goût."

Translation: [Father talking to his son about him correctly identifying a form of Baroque music] "A chaconne, son. Good."

North Star

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on November 08, 2014, 04:33:23 PM
Your signature: "À chacun son goût."

Translation: [Father talking to his son about him correctly identifying a form of Baroque music] "A chaconne, son. Good."
No, it means 'the chaconne of the person with gout'.  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Que

I love chaccones, obviously.  :D

Q