Schiff's Beethoven Cycle

Started by George K, May 06, 2007, 10:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George K

Hello again...  0:)

I have recently purchased the first 3 discs of Andras Schiff's traversal of the Beethoven piano sonatas. I was intrigued when I heard his lectures on the BBC, and found some of his insights to be interesting. For example, Op. 49 #2 (the easy one that EVERYBODY learns to play) was quite interesting in his performance. In the repeat of the exposition, the themes are flourished with trills, turns and mordents. The 2nd movement has a staccato left hand, which I've never heard played before.

I am looking forward to the release of the 4th disc later this month.

ANyone have any opinions?

Oh, if you're interested in hearing his lectures, you can hear/download them http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html from that link.

Don

George:

Are those folks clapping at the end of a movement or the end of the work?

Todd

Quote from: George K on May 06, 2007, 10:01:54 AMAnyone have any opinions?

I find his cycle variable thus far, though it has its definite high points.  I'm anxious for the next disc to arrive later this month because I think Schiff should do well in the works on the disc, Op 28 especially. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George K

Todd, thanks for the link to your comments. I searched "Schiff Beethoven" and didn't come up with much. Perhaps it was my n00bness in that I didn't search the entire forum.  ???

Again, thanks for the comments!

Bogey

Quote from: Don on May 06, 2007, 10:38:25 AM
George:

Are those folks clapping at the end of a movement or the end of the work?

Not sure if I can answer that question Don,  but I do know that it cannot be a performance here in the U.S., as they are all seated.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Holden

Quote from: George K on May 06, 2007, 10:01:54 AM
Hello again...  0:)

I have recently purchased the first 3 discs of Andras Schiff's traversal of the Beethoven piano sonatas. I was intrigued when I heard his lectures on the BBC, and found some of his insights to be interesting. For example, Op. 49 #2 (the easy one that EVERYBODY learns to play) was quite interesting in his performance. In the repeat of the exposition, the themes are flourished with trills, turns and mordents. The 2nd movement has a staccato left hand, which I've never heard played before.

I am looking forward to the release of the 4th disc later this month.

ANyone have any opinions?

That's the way it is written!
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Bogey on May 06, 2007, 01:19:04 PM
Not sure if I can answer that question Don,  but I do know that it cannot be a performance here in the U.S., as they are all seated.

;D

George K

Quote from: Holden on May 06, 2007, 03:59:23 PM
That's the way it is written!

In this Urtext edition (which I found online) it's not written staccato:

or here:

I'm at work right now, but I'll check my Henle edition when I get home tomorrow.

George K

Just checked. Henle doesn't show them staccato either.

Holden

Quote from: George K on May 07, 2007, 04:33:27 AM
Just checked. Henle doesn't show them staccato either.

The edition that I learned it from (many years ago) had the second theme LH written as staccato.

I've just listened to Disc 2 (Op 10 and Op 13) in the series and I have to agree with Todd regarding the stiffness and fussiness of the playing which doesn't really let the music flow. The need to put a phrase within a phrase which really isn't there in the score is somewhat off putting. But most of all, this is joyless, humourless  Beethoven and I don't think I'll sample any more of this cycle (maybe with the exception of Op 28).
Cheers

Holden