Catholicism Poll III: Change their view on homosexuality?

Started by ChamberNut, May 15, 2008, 09:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Catholic Church change their view on homosexuality as being a sin?

Yes
No
Undecided

ChamberNut

Kullervo

springrite

david johnson

i don't see a difference in telling either heteros or homos to live a temperate lifestyle regarding sexual practices.  continued fornication is a sin no matter who or what it's with (baaaaa, arf).  christians are supposed to repent regardless of their urges.

marriage seems to be the catholic approved outlet for hetero sex.  that's where the problem hits the homo believer, since a same-sex marriage would be frowned upon.
i don't believe the catholic church will change it's stance anytime soon.

dj

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: david johnson on May 16, 2008, 02:07:09 AM
i don't see a difference in telling either heteros or homos to live a temperate lifestyle regarding sexual practices.  continued fornication is a sin no matter who or what it's with (baaaaa, arf).  christians are supposed to repent regardless of their urges.

marriage seems to be the catholic approved outlet for hetero sex.  that's where the problem hits the homo believer, since a same-sex marriage would be frowned upon.

dj

I don't believe the Church will change either. But in the US at least, though there's a lot of progress yet to be made, there has been a steadily evolving recognition that gay people are not the abnormal terrors that some perceive them to be, and that they are fundamentally no different from heteros in personality, morals, or character. Some of my best friends, etc., etc.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Hector

Quote from: david johnson on May 16, 2008, 02:07:09 AM

dj

Are you serious?

They changed there stance on the burning of witches and heretics and the Inquisition has gone (hasn't it?) so, hey, why not?

Soon is not never.

Bunny

Quote from: Hector on May 16, 2008, 05:49:55 AM
Are you serious?

They changed there stance on the burning of witches and heretics and the Inquisition has gone (hasn't it?) so, hey, why not?

Soon is not never.

Try "someday" not "soon".  It took close to a millennium for those changes.  Btw, the Church still has not admitted error wrt Galileo.  They have only said that they "might" have erred.  Institutions become more rigid the longer they exist.