Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

What do you enjoy here for recordings (either or both books)?  HIP and Non-HIP suggestions welcome.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Holden

If you can get it - Samuil Feinberg. I also enjoy Richter and, surprisingly, Jeno Jando
Cheers

Holden

Bunny

Glen Wilson, Bob van Asperen, Ottavio Dantone, Gustav Leonhardt -- all on harpsichord.

Don

Quote from: Bunny on May 06, 2007, 05:04:06 PM
Glen Wilson, Bob van Asperen, Ottavio Dantone, Gustav Leonhardt -- all on harpsichord.

Agree, and I would add Landowska, Gilbert, Suzuki and Verlet.

On piano, there's Gould, Gulda, Fellner/Bk. 1, Richter, Feinberg, Aldwell, Tureck, Crochet, Fischer and Nikolayeva.

George

I'll add the third vote for Richter. SURPRISE!  ;D

Book one was remastered on RCA, but book two wasn't.  :'(

George

Quote from: Holden on May 06, 2007, 03:57:05 PM
If you can get it - Samuil Feinberg.

I've seen this about on the "Classical records" label. How's the sound?

Bogey

Thanks for the feedback.  My knee-jerk reaction to the above is Gould.

Is Andras Schiff's work here worth a listen?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

The Mad Hatter

I've heard that the Schiff is the best if you want 'traditional' Bach.

Personally, I'll almost always go for Gould (har, har) - his playing just speaks to me in a way very few other performers do.

The Jando on Naxos I don't really enjoy - can't hear the voicing very clearly.

Bunny

Quote from: Don on May 06, 2007, 05:43:22 PM
Agree, and I would add Landowska, Gilbert, Suzuki and Verlet.

On piano, there's Gould, Gulda, Fellner/Bk. 1, Richter, Feinberg, Aldwell, Tureck, Crochet, Fischer and Nikolayeva.

Oops, forgot the Landowska!

I love the Fellner and the Tureck.  I wish Fellner would hurry up and record Bk II!

Que

Another vote for Glen Wilson on harpsichord and Glen Glould on piano!

Q

Justin Ignaz Franz Bieber

Quote from: Bunny on May 06, 2007, 05:04:06 PM

I haven't heard any of those but I imagine they're all very good. I bet Lar Ulrik Mortensen & Ludger Remy have good recordings (that is if they do have recordings at all...)

For piano I was a surprised that I didn't like Gould's recording but I'm much happier with Richter's. I don't think I like WTC enough to collect a whole bunch of them though.  :-\
"I am, therefore I think." -- Nietzsche

val

Harpsichord: Gustav Leonhardt

Piano: Friedrich Gulda

Don

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on May 06, 2007, 06:47:53 PM
I've heard that the Schiff is the best if you want 'traditional' Bach.

I've never heard the above.  I do consider Schiff's WTC his best Bach recording except for his Goldbergs on ECM.

marvinbrown

Josquin des Prez

Harpsichord: Gilbert.

Piano: Feltsman.

E d o

helios

Gould enlivens the music like no other.  Though if you're a purist,  I suggest Angela Hewitt.

Don

Quote from: helios on May 07, 2007, 10:15:05 AM
Gould enlivens the music like no other.  Though if you're a purist,  I suggest Angela Hewitt.

Unusual, recommending a piano version to a purist.

Bunny

helios

Quote from: Don on May 07, 2007, 12:31:55 PM
Unusual, recommending a piano version to a purist.

Haha.. good point.   ;D

You know what I meant though.... a piano version more faithful to the score.  ;)