Author Topic: Bach on the piano  (Read 206386 times)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Bach on the piano
« Reply #1000 on: April 07, 2021, 10:34:46 AM »
The Bach on this one is quite nice, indeed. (And the lion's share; more interesting than the Tchaik. & Mahler, I find.)

Who do you prefer -- Rach playing that partita on the recording he released or Chochieva? For me it's a close call, I think I prefer the lady. And I definitely prefer her to Fiorentino. 

(It turns out I have on my hard-drive an unreleased performance of Rachmaninov playing it in 1935, which sounds good. )
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:37:19 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1001 on: May 03, 2021, 04:20:53 AM »
Confirming what many have already pointed out in this thread:

(Also heard him in concert a few days ago and it was stunning. Review to follow as well.)

Icelandic #Bach With Heart and Panache

https://classicstoday.com/review/icelandic-bach-with-heart-and-panache/

10/10

Here comes the box set, which might equally fit under Debussy, Glass, or Rameau. Uh, well, Bach it shall be:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0d0PCxX0AEx7UO?format=jpg&name=large[/img]]Triad: Víkingur Ólafsson’s Greatest Hits

Triad: Bach, Glass, Rameau & Debussy

...I first heard the Juilliard-taught student of Ann Schein and Seymour Lipkin when he was a stiff tween performing at the Icelandic Ambassador’s residence back in the days. Already then his pianism was excellent, his manner understated. His image has changed, but none of the essentials. Finally: A major label artist who is actually worthy of the hype; an unpretentious musician where the music is the focus, not his (or her) personality, whose performances are better than his self-promotional showboating. If you’ve missed out on these albums before, this is an excellent way to catch up...

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1002 on: May 03, 2021, 04:29:30 AM »
Who do you prefer -- Rach playing that partita on the recording he released or Chochieva? For me it's a close call, I think I prefer the lady. And I definitely prefer her to Fiorentino. 

(It turns out I have on my hard-drive an unreleased performance of Rachmaninov playing it in 1935, which sounds good. )

Good question. I don't recall the Rachmaninoff AT ALL, though I suspect it's in my RCA box of R-playing-R.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1003 on: September 29, 2021, 06:49:56 AM »
I hadn’t listened to this, or much of any, Bach in a while. I’m really surprised by the uniqueness of this and by how much I like it.
I don’t think there is anything quite like this concept of Bach on keyboard, certainly not piano. At least I don’t recall anything like it.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1004 on: September 29, 2021, 09:40:22 AM »
I hadn’t listened to this, or much of any, Bach in a while. I’m really surprised by the uniqueness of this and by how much I like it.
I don’t think there is anything quite like this concept of Bach on keyboard, certainly not piano. At least I don’t recall anything like it.

Precisely my reaction to this recording (and Rübsam's other Bach on piano recordings) about twenty years ago. This is why I eagerly recommend him all the time.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1005 on: October 06, 2021, 07:00:37 AM »
So I'm listening to Richer through Amazon Prime Streaming and I notice different releases of the Well Tempered Clavier but they are all the same whether Alto or Sony BMG or something called Olympia. So, is there a different recording worth having? I've seen somewhere that there's a live one?

This interesting, puzzling at times, a bit strange in its sound design, but worth taking in. MacGregor goes all in on her way of doing things. That's not bad. She's highly entertaining but I don't know if she's deep. 

ETA: I've been listening to this Richter a lot. It goes against what I've previously thought about Bach recordings, particularly ones on the piano. What I'm saying is that I like this despite the fact that every description I can give goes against what I usually prefer. Richter is kind of fast and straight - something that usually turns me off. But Richter has some kind of magic touch, some kind of fascinating color and ambience and dreaminess - yet he is unpretentious and unaffected. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 03:53:03 AM by milk »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1006 on: November 05, 2021, 03:49:52 AM »

Here is tasteful playing. He doesn't rely on dynamics too much and he gets the point across with subtle rubato and ornamentations. He takes some liberties with ornamentations but I find them enlightening. Maybe I'm making this sound bad? It's good. He brings out his own sense of the counterpoint with a touch of pianism - not too much. I think he does understand counterpoint and there's a sense of baroque. I guess he studied with Tureck but he sure doesn't sound like her. 
ETA: this is my new favorite.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 04:57:37 PM by milk »

Offline Iota

• Veteran member
« Reply #1007 on: November 06, 2021, 06:11:43 AM »
This interesting, puzzling at times, a bit strange in its sound design, but worth taking in. MacGregor goes all in on her way of doing things. That's not bad. She's highly entertaining but I don't know if she's deep.

This has been my experience of her thus far too. Though because of it, I've not heard a lot, so there may yet be words to eat. And I've certainly heard her talk interestingly about music.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1008 on: November 26, 2021, 07:35:46 AM »
I don’t know if there’s supposed to be more of this? Why only 12? I really like this. There’s something very warm and embracing and personal about the way he plays these. The rubato is unique, very particular and compelling. The tone of the piano is a bit too bright and the way it’s recorded kind of throws me. There’s too much stereo separation. Anyway, that aside, I wish there were more.