The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

<< < (378/404) > >>

(: premont :):

--- Quote from: milk on November 30, 2021, 07:37:21 PM ---

I’m reassessing this. I think it needs more consideration.

--- End quote ---

To me it was like an unimaginative run through, not much different from sight-reading. Very disappointing.

(: premont :):

--- Quote from: milk on November 25, 2021, 11:12:56 PM ---…Listening to Kenneth Weiss and marveling about how much more attractive his instrument is.

--- End quote ---

Yes, this is something else, noble, tasteful and well-sounding.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: milk on November 30, 2021, 07:37:21 PM ---

I’m reassessing this. I think it needs more consideration.

--- End quote ---

I think you need to say more to make that idea convincing. Take a specific piece and say what makes it interesting for you.

milk:

--- Quote from: (: premont :) on December 01, 2021, 06:19:22 AM ---To me it was like an unimaginative run through, not much different from sight-reading. Very disappointing.

--- End quote ---
I was trying it out again today mostly because I like Dunedin so much. I just thought that there has to me more to Butt. I think Dunedin Cantatas and B-mass are fine recordings - attractive, unpretentious...or maybe I really like this pared-down approach in any vocal music. Kuijken, for example. Dunedin is a little more brisk and finely detailed than Kuijken sometimes. maybe. Anyway, Butt seems to get Bach in the vocal stuff, I wonder at his approach to the WTC. But, yeah, WTC is such deep waters. I expect a lot from anyone delving into it.

milk:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on December 01, 2021, 06:38:06 AM ---I think you need to say more to make that idea convincing. Take a specific piece and say what makes it interesting for you.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, there isn't anything. I want to like something here but I am not finding anything. I thought it deserved more consideration but I'm still not affected by it. The musicianship in Dunedin is very good and I think Butt's leadership in that ensemble is successful. I've listened to their latest Bach cantata recording several times. So, why doesn't Butt give us more in WTC? I don't know. The recording is wooden, inexpressive, etc. I thought wrong. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version