The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

<< < (379/387) > >>

(: premont :):

--- Quote from: milk on December 01, 2021, 06:39:48 AM ---I was trying it out again today mostly because I like Dunedin so much. I just thought that there has to me more to Butt. I think Dunedin Cantatas and B-mass are fine recordings - attractive, unpretentious...or maybe I really like this pared-down approach in any vocal music. Kuijken, for example. Dunedin is a little more brisk and finely detailed than Kuijken sometimes. maybe. Anyway, Butt seems to get Bach in the vocal stuff, I wonder at his approach to the WTC. But, yeah, WTC is such deep waters. I expect a lot from anyone delving into it.

--- End quote ---

I fully agree, that the Dunedin's recordings are enjoyable (Brandenburgs, violin concertos, passions and b-minor mass), but as to Butt's recordings as a keyboardist, there is a but(t) (pun of course intended), as they generally are quite unremarkable (WTC, and some Bach organ recordings as well as organ music by Cabanilles, Frescobaldi and Pachelbel). His Kuhnau btw is moderately interesting.

bioluminescentsquid:

--- Quote from: (: premont :) on December 01, 2021, 01:45:27 PM ---I fully agree, that the Dunedin's recordings are enjoyable (Brandenburgs, violin concertos, passions and b-minor mass), but as to Butt's recordings as a keyboardist, there is a but(t) (pun of course intended), as they generally are quite unremarkable (WTC, and some Bach organ recordings as well as organ music by Cabanilles, Frescobaldi and Pachelbel). His Kuhnau btw is moderately interesting.

--- End quote ---

Not his trio sonatas?
I liked his Frescobaldi as well.

--- Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 04, 2021, 08:18:18 PM ---Not his trio sonatas?
I liked his Frescobaldi as well.

--- End quote ---

I have listened to both (and several others of his recordings) a couple of times even if is some years ago, but I don't recall being that impressed, rather I recall them as being somewhat bland. But maybe I should revisit them.

Mandryka:
Well I think there are some things to say about Butt’s WTC 2 at least. His experiment seems to be about two things:

1 Fast pace, drive it forward, never linger or reflect. This is the opposite of cerebral, introspective, spiritual.

2. Dancing rhythm and foot tapping pulse.

I don’t share Premont’s thought that it’s unimaginative or sounds like a run through. I think it’s full of ideas, probably bold ones.   

I don’t say it’s a successful experiment by the way - I’m not sure how to make that judgement in fact.

Well, my "unimaginative run through" and your "fast pace, drive it forward, never linger or reflect" aren't that different.

Your "Dancing rhythm and foot tapping pulse" reminds me of Glenn Gould, and I think there are some similarities here. So I shall change my "unimaginative" to monochrome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version