The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

<< < (380/387) > >>

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: (: premont :) on December 09, 2021, 03:36:18 PM ---Well, my "unimaginative run through" and your "fast pace, drive it forward, never linger or reflect" aren't that different.

Your "Dancing rhythm and foot tapping pulse" reminds me of Glenn Gould, and I think there are some similarities here. So I shall change my "unimaginative" to monochrome.

--- End quote ---

In fact I also thought of Gould and so listened to one or two tracks - Gould is stiff, and Butt isn’t stiff at all.

(: premont :):

--- Quote from: Mandryka on December 09, 2021, 08:33:11 PM ---In fact I also thought of Gould and so listened to one or two tracks - Gould is stiff, and Butt isn’t stiff at all.

--- End quote ---

But this:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on December 09, 2021, 02:20:45 PM ---Fast pace, drive it forward, never linger or reflect. This is the opposite of cerebral, introspective, spiritual.

--- End quote ---

doesn't leave much room for expressive rubato, and this is also how I recall Butt's WTC: devoid of reflection and expressive rubato.

milk:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on December 09, 2021, 08:33:11 PM ---In fact I also thought of Gould and so listened to one or two tracks - Gould is stiff, and Butt isn’t stiff at all.

--- End quote ---
It's much better than Gould I think. There are some subtle moments, probably some really inspirational moments if I had the patience to listen carefully to it all. It's just mostly too brisk. I think he would be bold if he were also moving in the way he does it. I guess it's possible someone can make that magic work. Isn't Pienaar, on the piano, also pretty brisk and toe-tapping? I recall liking Pienaar so I have to go back and figure it out. Maybe Pienaar seems witty and uses his chosen instrument to better effect. But maybe I'm misremembering Pienaar. Or maybe he's not always so experimentally breakneck as Butt.   

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: (: premont :) on December 10, 2021, 03:20:06 AM ---But this:

doesn't leave much room for expressive rubato, and this is also how I recall Butt's WTC: devoid of reflection and expressive rubato.

--- End quote ---

Well, I don't hear it quite like that.

https://www.youtube.com/v/7pnCcxODh0U&ab_channel=JohnButt-Topic

Here's Gould

https://www.youtube.com/v/rACX7pUZSjI&ab_channel=GlennGould-Topic

SonicMan46:
Well, I'm at the end of my Papa Bach collection perusal w/ the WTC works - currently own 6 versions shown below, 3 on piano & 3 on harpsichord (and like to have both instrument options) - now I've not updated my WTC recordings in years, so maybe some newer offerings? The overall number is fine, i.e. 6 versions are plenty for me but 'culling and adding' is a consideration -  ;D

In looking through the last dozen pages of this thread, I see plenty of newer recordings unfamiliar to me, so would be interested in comments - now, I did look at reviews on the ones owned (see attachment if interested) - these have all received excellent to outstanding write-ups, but would like to do some Spotify listening of other recent favorites here.  Thanks for any help.  Dave :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version