The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

<< < (381/387) > >>

San Antone:
These are all piano versions (while the image shows only one part all of these are complete in two volumes), I'll leave it to other to suggest ones on harpsichord.

Dina Ugorskaja (2016)

Zhu Xiao-Mei (2010)

Cedric Pescia (2018)

I also like the András Schiff recording on ECM, but assume you have already heard it.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 16, 2022, 09:57:28 AM ---Well, I'm at the end of my Papa Bach collection perusal w/ the WTC works - currently own 6 versions shown below, 3 on piano & 3 on harpsichord (and like to have both instrument options) - now I've not updated my WTC recordings in years, so maybe some newer offerings? The overall number is fine, i.e. 6 versions are plenty for me but 'culling and adding' is a consideration -  ;D

In looking through the last dozen pages of this thread, I see plenty of newer recordings unfamiliar to me, so would be interested in comments - now, I did look at reviews on the ones owned (see attachment if interested) - these have all received excellent to outstanding write-ups, but would like to do some Spotify listening of other recent favorites here.  Thanks for any help.  Dave :)

--- End quote ---

Well I know you now, so I’m fairly confident that this would have your name written all over it, if it were complete - there’s a Vol 1

https://www.linnrecords.com/recording-js-bach-well-tempered-consort-ii

Apart from that you know the answer as well as I do - Rübsam and Booth obvs.

SonicMan46:

--- Quote from: San Antone on February 16, 2022, 10:19:31 AM ---These are all piano versions (while the image shows only one part all of these are complete in two volumes), I'll leave it to other to suggest ones on harpsichord.

Dina Ugorskaja (2016)
Zhu Xiao-Mei (2010)
Cedric Pescia (2018)

I also like the András Schiff recording on ECM, but assume you have already heard it.

--- End quote ---

Hi San Antone - thanks for the 'piano' suggestions - looking at some reviews, I believe that Dina Ugorskaja & András Schiff interest me; both are on Spotify, so will take a listen - as you likely know, Ugoskaja died at aged 46 yrs in 2019 from cancer (only knew reading her bio today).  Dave :)

SonicMan46:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on February 16, 2022, 10:35:33 AM ---Well I know you now, so I’m fairly confident that this would have your name written all over it, if it were complete - there’s a Vol 1

https://www.linnrecords.com/recording-js-bach-well-tempered-consort-ii

Apart from that you know the answer as well as I do - Rübsam and Booth obvs.

--- End quote ---

Hi Mandryka - thanks for your prompt response - the Phantasm recording(s) certainly interests me (have a half dozen of their CDs already in my collection), so will preview them on Spotify (already setup a 4 album-recording playlist).  As to Rübsam & Booth, already added Rübsam's French Suites and have Booth's Goldberg Variations 'in the mail' - now he is selling the complete WTC for just £14 as shown below on his website - should have added that to my last order - again for those in the USA, shipping is free!  Dave :)

milk:
I’m gonna still push George Lepauw whom I think could get some more love. It’s a crowded field to be sure. And, as almost everyone seems to agree, Demus live is kicking around if you can find it. But I scratch my head as to why Lepauw doesn’t seem to rate here, especially as, to me, Schiff is on the insipid conservative side of the isle. Just my one cent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version