Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 22, 2022, 11:23:07 AM

New release, I'd say the performances lean on the energetic and inoffensive run through side. A bit like hearing it through a barrel organ. Not feeling positive so far, I have to say. Maybe I'll come round to it. I'm listening to Bk 2 by the way, not the one in the image.

I'm going to listen to this tomorrow (download from Presto without booklet - MERDE!!). Judged from the picture a positiv (=small) organ is used. This would be my ideal for this music when organ is used, but of course the interpretation as such plays an important role.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 22, 2022, 01:56:44 PM
I don't like the sound of organ much.

It might help to think of this organ as a box of flutes. It sounds like a box of flutes.

(Quite enjoying it in small doses this morning, with a different sound system and a different head-space. It's a smiley, cheerful WTC 2, light hearted. But no - it's wearing after a short time. )
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

New release, I'd say the performances lean on the energetic and inoffensive run through side. A bit like hearing it through a barrel organ. Not feeling positive so far, I have to say. Maybe I'll come round to it. I'm listening to Bk 2 by the way, not the one in the image.

It's strange, that this is the first recording of the WTC on a chamber organ. This instrument has the great advantage of having a modest and clear sound well suited for the music. Otsuka's interpretation is rather straight-forward with almost inflexible pace (except for traditional ritardandi at the end of sections). What makes me associate to Helmut Walcha is also the insistent character of the playing, the almost metric execution of embellishments and ornamentation and the clear part playing. His articulation though is much more informed than Walchas home-made articulation. I have wondered about the tuning of the chamber organ. So far all modes sound equally out of tune I suppose the tuning is equal.
However I think the new recording is an interesting contribution to the WTC field.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on October 23, 2022, 12:48:22 AM
It might help to think of this organ as a box of flutes. It sounds like a box of flutes.

(Quite enjoying it in small doses this morning, with a different sound system and a different head-space. It's a smiley, cheerful WTC 2, light hearted. But no - it's wearing after a short time. )

I'll do so.  ;D ;D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

It turns out that my FB friend made that organ! He and others call it "positive organ". I don't know what it is.

The explanation is very helpful and informative. Thanks a lot.

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 23, 2022, 12:12:50 PM
It's strange, that this is the first recording of the WTC on a chamber organ. This instrument has the great advantage of having a modest and clear sound well suited for the music. Otsuka's interpretation is rather straight-forward with almost inflexible pace (except for traditional ritardandi at the end of sections). What makes me associate to Helmut Walcha is also the insistent character of the playing, the almost metric execution of embellishments and ornamentation and the clear part playing. His articulation though is much more informed than Walchas home-made articulation. I have wondered about the tuning of the chamber organ. So far all modes sound equally out of tune I suppose the tuning is equal.
However I think the new recording is an interesting contribution to the WTC field.

milk

Well here's something new. I feel like my ears are rusty, which is a good thing. How about you, will you be listening to this?

Que

Thanks, I will definitely give it a go.  :)

Though considering that everyone and granny is trying their hands on the WTC lately, succes rate is remarkably low. Steven Devine is the last notable recording IMO.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on September 14, 2023, 04:10:13 PM
Well here's something new. I feel like my ears are rusty, which is a good thing. How about you, will you be listening to this?

Poblocka WTC2 too.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: premont on October 22, 2022, 02:59:41 PMI'm going to listen to this tomorrow (download from Presto without booklet - MERDE!!). Judged from the picture a positiv (=small) organ is used. This would be my ideal for this music when organ is used, but of course the interpretation as such plays an important role.

Like this recording. The perfect accompaniment for hanging out in space.

premont

Quote from: Que on September 14, 2023, 11:02:57 PMThough conside9thst everyone and granny is trying their hands on the WTC lately, succes rate is remarkably low. Steve Devine is the last notable recording IMO.

Don't forget Colin Booth, who incidentally made the harpsichord Devine is using.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

San Antone

I can't find it on any streaming service.

Spotted Horses

I did listen to very brief excerpts (Apple Music Streaming), and I found it interesting. I didn't listen to anything sufficient to judge quality of performance, but it was refreshing to hear the music on a different instrument.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Que

Quote from: premont on September 15, 2023, 05:58:09 AMDon't forget Colin Booth, who incidentally made the harpsichord Devine is using.

I haven't heard Colin Booth, wasn't available on Spotify (yet) but I'm not surprised that he is of interest!

Mandryka

Mandryka

Sounds very good to me.

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/63/000159836.pdf

Nice bassy clangy Hemsch inspired instrument  - interesting tuning - fresh (new) performance ideas which make you prick up your ears  -  back to sources for the manuscript - acceptable sound engineering, you're on the front row or even in the player's seat  -  what's not to like?

(Listening to BK 2)

premont

I have just downloaded it from Presto (Flac files including booklet) for a donation price amounting to 13½ Euro. Shall listen to some of it tomorrow. Mandrykas comments sound encouraging.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Spotted Horses

I tried prelude and fugue I from book I. I found it unlistenable. Got halfway through the prelude before I had to turn it off.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on September 16, 2023, 03:16:19 AMSounds very good to me.

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/63/000159836.pdf

Nice bassy clangy Hemsch inspired instrument  - interesting tuning - fresh (new) performance ideas which make you prick up your ears  -  back to sources for the manuscript - acceptable sound engineering, you're on the front row or even in the player's seat  -  what's not to like?

(Listening to BK 2)
Makes me think again that harpsichordists generally know what it's about while pianists may or may not. But really, this is top drawer.

San Antone

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 17, 2023, 08:26:33 AMI tried prelude and fugue I from book I. I found it unlistenable. Got halfway through the prelude before I had to turn it off.

I kind of liked it, for a change.  The sound of the organ did not bother me.  But don't know how many P/F I can take. She can play, that's for sure.