Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: San Antone on September 19, 2023, 06:29:59 PMI kind of liked it, for a change.  The sound of the organ did not bother me.  But don't know how many P/F I can take. She can play, that's for sure.

I heard some prominent beating in the first prelude, which was a turnoff. Maybe an interesting "well-tempered" tuning? Perhaps accentuated by the overwhelming soundstage in the recording? Anyway, didn't work for me.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

I think it takes a considerable adjustment to get into the swing of it, if you can't obliterate the memory of other performances. The organ brings more than a change to timbre - it's as if the instrument leads her to new ideas for touch and phrasing and balance. Still haven't heard her Bk 1 by the way.

One thing I have noticed  is the absence of pompousness. Whether that means that the interpretation is too small scale is a moot point IMO. It's one thing to say it's light, relaxed, domestic. The flip side of that is that it doesn't have much by way of seriousness,  gravitas.  But still, it's a good thing that the recording poses these questions, gives food for thought.

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 17, 2023, 08:26:33 AMI tried prelude and fugue I from book I. I found it unlistenable. Got halfway through the prelude before I had to turn it off.
:)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 20, 2023, 12:32:19 AMI think it takes a considerable adjustment to get into the swing of it, if you can't obliterate the memory of other performances. The organ brings more than a change to timbre - it's as if the instrument leads her to new ideas for touch and phrasing and balance. Still haven't heard her Bk 1 by the way.

One thing I have noticed  is the absence of pompousness. Whether that means that the interpretation is too small scale is a moot point IMO. It's one thing to say it's light, relaxed, domestic. The flip side of that is that it doesn't have much by way of seriousness,  gravitas.  But still, it's a good thing that the recording poses these questions, gives food for thought.

:)

I had no problems at all. What attracts me is precisely the small scale domestic air.

BTW Naoya Otsuka is a he, not a she.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

San Antone

Quote from: premont on September 20, 2023, 05:19:01 AMBTW Naoya Otsuka is a he, not a she.

Oh.  I was working off of this photo on Spotify. Maybe there are two musicians with the same name?

I was a bit confused with her holding an oboe, but thought, well maybe she plays organ too.

JBS

His Youtube channel is here
https://youtube.com/channel/UCRW9-2zT90bH1hWHeafroeA?feature=shared

As of now, it's simply uploads of the WTC recording.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: San Antone on September 20, 2023, 06:18:39 AMOh.  I was working off of this photo on Spotify. Maybe there are two musicians with the same name?

I was a bit confused with her holding an oboe, but thought, well maybe she plays organ too.

He is a professor at Tokyo Art University, the most prestigious conservatory in Japan.

http://waonrecords.jp/waoncd390.html