Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: toñito on June 29, 2011, 09:48:45 AM
Yes, it was exactly my reaction when I did read: "No unanimity on my part" on your Reply #893.

My fault. :-[ I misinterpreted the word unanimity, thinking it meant un-animity (disagreement) instead of un(a)-animity (agreement).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: toñito on June 29, 2011, 08:25:54 PM
... I prefer to listen to again this Bk. 1 before posting any more detailed comment...

So do I.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bogey

For 5 bones, could not resist getting this set:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Bogey on July 12, 2011, 01:15:46 PM

I just hope they weren't yours! The bones I mean!  ;D
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Bogey

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 12, 2011, 01:17:30 PM
I just hope they weren't yours! The bones I mean!  ;D

May just be worth the real ones....I'll let you know. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

jwinter

A bit late I realize, but I'm currently listening to Gieseking's WTC, Book 1.  I was catching up on this thread and saw it mentioned, and then remembered that I had found a copy at my library last year and ripped it to MP3 along with a bunch of other stuff. 

Overall this is better than I was expecting -- after one spin it's not breaking in among my favorites by any stretch, but I'm glad I've finally given it a listen.  It has lousy sound quality (most likely due to excessive noise reduction, as I think George mentioned), and his speeds are a bit fast for me at times, although not universally so (I'm hearing BWV 849 now, and it's rather leisurely). 

[asin]B00000E4IK[/asin]

By the by, there also seems to be another Gieseking WTC out now, recorded for Saar Radio according to Amazon...

[asin]B003X859N4[/asin]
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Bulldog

Quote from: jwinter on July 20, 2011, 12:20:38 PM
A bit late I realize, but I'm currently listening to Gieseking's WTC, Book 1.  I was catching up on this thread and saw it mentioned, and then remembered that I had found a copy at my library last year and ripped it to MP3 along with a bunch of other stuff. 

Overall this is better than I was expecting --

Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in the Gieseking set.  Yes, the sound is poor, but I think Gieseking does nothing to rise above it.

Mandryka

Quote from: Bogey on July 12, 2011, 01:15:46 PM

Part of the problem there, for me, is that it's quite closely miked and for me that almost kills the music making -- it makes her instrument sound too powerful. All her later harpsichord recordings are like this and for me they are awful to listen to. The Playel she used was a quiet instrument and I guess her producers thought that the public demanded something more in your face. Interpretively the WTC is very interesting and she has a tremendous rhythmic facility. But if you want to hear her at her best you need to go to earlier recordings -- the first A minor English suite (not the second), the Rameau E minor suite. for example.

Still  she is a genius and I'm glad to have her WTC

Quote from: jwinter on July 20, 2011, 12:20:38 PM

By the by, there also seems to be another Gieseking WTC out now, recorded for Saar Radio according to Amazon...

I think they are the same performance. Gieseking was on a performance treadmill after the war and some of his records show this.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Bulldog

I acquired this set about 2 weeks ago.  I'm finding it very rewarding although I'm not sold yet on how she plays Bach's "dark" pieces.

[asin]B002C68WSC[/asin]

Opus106

Beyond Robert Levin's are there recordings of the pairs from the WTK -- one, two, many or the whole lot -- played on an organ?

EDIT: All right, I see that Lagacé and one Frederic Desenclos are mentioned already in this thread. If there are others, please let me know. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Opus106 on February 07, 2012, 06:17:06 AM
Beyond Robert Levin's are there recordings of the pairs from the WTK -- one, two, many or the whole lot -- played on an organ?

Yes, the whole shebang here:

[asin]B002TIYP7U[/asin]

Extra info and samples: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Das-Wohltemperierte-Klavier-1-2/hnum/7556747

The complete WTC also was recorded by Bernard Lagacé on Analekta (1965 Rudolph von Beckerath organ at the Église Immaculée-Conception, Montreal), as invividual CDs and as a part of his integral recording of Bach's organ works.

Daniel Chorzempa also recorded the two books using different instruments (harpsichord, organ, clavichord & fortepiano), as Levin, but his complete set is sadly OOP.

:)

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 07, 2012, 06:44:33 AM
Yes, the whole shebang here:

[asin]B002TIYP7U[/asin]

Extra info and samples: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Das-Wohltemperierte-Klavier-1-2/hnum/7556747

The complete WTC also was recorded by Bernard Lagacé on Analekta (1965 Rudolph von Beckerath organ at the Église Immaculée-Conception, Montreal), as invividual CDs and as a part of his integral recording of Bach's organ works.

Daniel Chorzempa also recorded the two books using different instruments (harpsichord, organ, clavichord & fortepiano), as Levin, but his complete set is sadly OOP.

:)

There is another (or third) version af WTC book II by Christoph Bossert:

Johann Sebastian Bach: Das wohltemperierte Clavier, 2. Teil
24 Präludien und Fugen BWV 870–893
Christoph Bossert, Orgel. Aufgenommen 1998 an der Ehrlich-Orgel der Evangelischen Stadtkirche zu Bad Wimpfen (Deutschland). Ars Musici 1257-2. 3 CD.

It is about five years since I last listened to it. Compared to Desenclos I remember Bossert as being a bit unimaginative, - or maybe I did not listen enough to his interpretation  ;).

http://www.amazon.de/Das-Wohltemperierte-Clavier-Christoph-Bossert/dp/B000023ZTA/ref=sr_1_256?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1328638575&sr=1-256
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Geo Dude

Now that Schornsheim's WTC has been out for a bit, I'm curious to know what the general consensus on the recording is.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 07, 2012, 09:02:35 AM
There is another (or third) version af WTC book II by Christoph Bossert:

Johann Sebastian Bach: Das wohltemperierte Clavier, 2. Teil
24 Präludien und Fugen BWV 870–893
Christoph Bossert, Orgel. Aufgenommen 1998 an der Ehrlich-Orgel der Evangelischen Stadtkirche zu Bad Wimpfen (Deutschland). Ars Musici 1257-2. 3 CD.

It is about five years since I last listened to it. Compared to Desenclos I remember Bossert as being a bit unimaginative, - or maybe I did not listen enough to his interpretation ;).

http://www.amazon.de/Das-Wohltemperierte-Clavier-Christoph-Bossert/dp/B000023ZTA/ref=sr_1_256?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1328638575&sr=1-256

Yes, who knows, maybe he was interesting, but you weren't interested. ;D

Just for the record: Joseph Payne also plays some multi-instrumental proto-WTC in his recording of the Clavier-Büchlein für Wilhelm Friedemann Bach. But there just one of the eleven Praeludium is played on organ, the others on harpsichord and clavichord.

Leo K.

I'm continually returning to Egarr's account of WTC book 2. It's making me love Book 2, whereas before I only respected it. I've never heard any Bach like Egarr's book 1 and 2. Incredible.

8)

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 07, 2012, 10:57:28 AM
Yes, who knows, maybe he was interesting, but you weren't interested. ;D

Wonder if I get the time to listen to it again. There is too much else waiting for me to listen to.

Quote from: Antoine Marchand
Just for the record: Joseph Payne also plays some multi-instrumental proto-WTC in his recording of the Clavier-Büchlein für Wilhelm Friedemann Bach. But there just one of the eleven Praeludium is played on organ, the others on harpsichord and clavichord.

One more: I used to own a recording (on LP) by Anthony Newman of book II, where he used organ, harpsichord and clavichord. However I parted with it, as I could not stand his superficial style in the long run.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Leo K on February 07, 2012, 12:42:02 PM

I'm continually returning to Egarr's account of WTC book 2. It's making me love Book 2, whereas before I only respected it. I've never heard any Bach like Egarr's book 1 and 2. Incredible.

8)

Egarr´s recording of Book I turned me off his Bach, and I have not acquired his Book II. I find his Book I sleepy and underarticulated.  Is his Book II that different?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Leo K.

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 07, 2012, 01:12:05 PM
Egarr´s recording of Book I turned me off his Bach, and I have not acquired his Book II. I find his Book I sleepy and underarticulated.  Is his Book II that different?

His Book 2 is in the same style, so you probably wouldn't want it.  Egarr's "cantabile heaven" is all over it. In my opinion it fits book 2 rather well, perhaps better than book 1. Perhaps.

8)

Bulldog

Quote from: Leo K on February 07, 2012, 02:29:01 PM
His Book 2 is in the same style, so you probably wouldn't want it.  Egarr's "cantabile heaven" is all over it. In my opinion it fits book 2 rather well, perhaps better than book 1. Perhaps.

8)

While "cantabile heaven" is a nice place to visit now and then, it gets a little tiring when his interpretations lack some drama, incisiveness and excitement.

For about a year now, I've been playing the WTC's from Egarr, Dantone and Ashkenazy non-stop in my vehicle (my favored versions don't leave the house).  Each of the three has its pros and cons.  I really hate that the Dantone only has one track for each prelude/fugue combination; it's a major pain to simply listen to a particular fugue.