Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staxomega

I'm finding Kenneth Weiss' cycle extremely good. I'd love to see him play this live, it's very expressive.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on April 06, 2021, 06:27:11 AM
It's a recording for pipe and slippers people.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pipe%20and%20Slippers
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Quote from: hvbias on April 06, 2021, 01:47:44 PM
I'm finding Kenneth Weiss' cycle extremely good. I'd love to see him play this live, it's very expressive.
Me too!

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: Old San Antone on April 06, 2021, 05:24:09 AM
I think there are a number of fine transcriptions of The Goldberg Variations and Art of Fugue.  Maybe the WTC is a different kind of work.

Quote from: Mandryka on April 06, 2021, 06:24:33 AM
I don't agree.

Well, I'm w/ San Antone and the Goldberg Variations - own these works on probably a half dozen different instrument(s), including a number of keyboards, harp, guitar, and strings.

Usually enjoy Bach transcriptions and would like to hear Phantasm doing the WTC, but not available at the moment on Spotify, my only subscribed streaming service - any other 'free' sites to hear these works (preferably not short snippets).  Thanks.  Dave

Mandryka

Mahan Esfahani WTC 1

https://www.youtube.com/v/jtEY1kDzmHc&feature=emb_imp_woyt

On his new harpsichord!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Selig

The new Cristiano Holtz seems so far innovative without being too sensational. I think I like his registrational approach more than Esfahani's. It's a pity that performance at Wigmore Hall was removed though.

Mandryka

Quote from: Selig on August 19, 2021, 10:55:57 PMIt's a pity that performance at Wigmore Hall was removed though.

Send me a message if you want the sound file.

staxomega

Quote from: Selig on August 19, 2021, 10:55:57 PM
The new Cristiano Holtz seems so far innovative without being too sensational. I think I like his registrational approach more than Esfahani's. It's a pity that performance at Wigmore Hall was removed though.

I enjoyed Christiano Holtz, there is a certain humbleness to this ala DHM Leonhardt. One other interesting thing, up here we have a large open plan living room with vaulted ceilings and double story windows to the left that can be closed for acoustic reasons with the speakers pulled out pretty far from the front wall. You could really get a sense for just how large that instrument is.

Unfortunate that there are problems with mic'ing, like on the C minor prelude that has a good amount of bass it's creating a rather ugly boxy congested sound.

milk

Quote from: Selig on August 19, 2021, 10:55:57 PM

Yeah, I feel like part of the register is missing. It's like, some of the notes aren't there or something. Maybe it just takes getting used to.

milk

I put this up every so often - In spite of knowing no one likes it. 🤔😁

Also this:
Sensitive playing. Sometimes bleak.

premont

Quote from: milk on September 30, 2021, 07:15:29 AM

Don't think you are obliged to plan your listening according to others tastes, because others tastes may be fallacious.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: milk on September 30, 2021, 07:15:29 AM

I like it!

milk

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 01, 2021, 09:22:34 AM
I like it!
Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Quote from: (: premont :) on October 01, 2021, 08:24:57 AM
Don't think you are obliged to plan your listening according to others tastes, because others tastes may be fallacious.
Hear hear!

milk

How do you reduce this? Well. This is one not talked about but so far I'm enjoying it. I can't say its qualities yet.
Also: Aaron Pilsen is a new guy on the block. Looks like a fashion ad:

milk

I think this is very fine. The instrument has character and Kiener judges well. It's a confident rendition with a lot of spirit and joy. He's flexible with his rubato as well. He has a touch.

milk

it's a crowded field but I think this should be added to one's collection. I've only listened a little so far. The instrument is interesting and Staier takes enough risks and has enough vision.

Que

Quote from: milk on November 22, 2021, 06:56:54 PM

it's a crowded field but I think this should be added to one's collection. I've only listened a little so far. The instrument is interesting and Staier takes enough risks and has enough vision.

I really admire Andreas Staier, but I never got along with his Bach. I will give it a try.  :)

Mandryka

Vigorous and expressive playing from Staier - it's like a cross between Scott Ross and Kenneth Gilbert. Lovely harpsichord (d'après Albrecht Hass (1734)) - big bass, attractive lute stop -  and seductively recorded, with a sense of room in the sound image which I adore. This is the best of Staier's solo Bach I think.

It is wearing to listen to, there's not enough relief and variety of approach to make it something for more than a handful of pieces at a time.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on November 23, 2021, 12:30:32 AM
Vigorous and expressive playing from Staier - it's like a cross between Scott Ross and Kenneth Gilbert. Lovely harpsichord (d'après Albrecht Hass (1734)) - big bass, attractive lute stop -  and seductively recorded, with a sense of room in the sound image which I adore. This is the best of Staier's solo Bach I think.

It is wearing to listen to, there's not enough relief and variety of approach to make it something for more than a handful of pieces at a time.
that sounds about right. He's weird in his Bach. What's up with his Goldberg-s? I'm guessing I won't be this handling all at once. I like what I've heard though.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Decent performance and nice instrument, but so much reverb.