Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

These are all piano versions (while the image shows only one part all of these are complete in two volumes), I'll leave it to other to suggest ones on harpsichord.

Dina Ugorskaja (2016)

Zhu Xiao-Mei (2010)

Cedric Pescia (2018)

I also like the András Schiff recording on ECM, but assume you have already heard it.

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 16, 2022, 08:57:28 AM
Well, I'm at the end of my Papa Bach collection perusal w/ the WTC works - currently own 6 versions shown below, 3 on piano & 3 on harpsichord (and like to have both instrument options) - now I've not updated my WTC recordings in years, so maybe some newer offerings? The overall number is fine, i.e. 6 versions are plenty for me but 'culling and adding' is a consideration -  ;D

In looking through the last dozen pages of this thread, I see plenty of newer recordings unfamiliar to me, so would be interested in comments - now, I did look at reviews on the ones owned (see attachment if interested) - these have all received excellent to outstanding write-ups, but would like to do some Spotify listening of other recent favorites here.  Thanks for any help.  Dave :)

Well I know you now, so I'm fairly confident that this would have your name written all over it, if it were complete - there's a Vol 1

https://www.linnrecords.com/recording-js-bach-well-tempered-consort-ii

Apart from that you know the answer as well as I do - Rübsam and Booth obvs.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: San Antone on February 16, 2022, 09:19:31 AM
These are all piano versions (while the image shows only one part all of these are complete in two volumes), I'll leave it to other to suggest ones on harpsichord.

Dina Ugorskaja (2016)
Zhu Xiao-Mei (2010)
Cedric Pescia (2018)

I also like the András Schiff recording on ECM, but assume you have already heard it.

Hi San Antone - thanks for the 'piano' suggestions - looking at some reviews, I believe that Dina Ugorskaja & András Schiff interest me; both are on Spotify, so will take a listen - as you likely know, Ugoskaja died at aged 46 yrs in 2019 from cancer (only knew reading her bio today).  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on February 16, 2022, 09:35:33 AM
Well I know you now, so I'm fairly confident that this would have your name written all over it, if it were complete - there's a Vol 1

https://www.linnrecords.com/recording-js-bach-well-tempered-consort-ii

Apart from that you know the answer as well as I do - Rübsam and Booth obvs.

Hi Mandryka - thanks for your prompt response - the Phantasm recording(s) certainly interests me (have a half dozen of their CDs already in my collection), so will preview them on Spotify (already setup a 4 album-recording playlist).  As to Rübsam & Booth, already added Rübsam's French Suites and have Booth's Goldberg Variations 'in the mail' - now he is selling the complete WTC for just £14 as shown below on his website - should have added that to my last order - again for those in the USA, shipping is free!  Dave :)

milk

I'm gonna still push George Lepauw whom I think could get some more love. It's a crowded field to be sure. And, as almost everyone seems to agree, Demus live is kicking around if you can find it. But I scratch my head as to why Lepauw doesn't seem to rate here, especially as, to me, Schiff is on the insipid conservative side of the isle. Just my one cent.

San Antone

milk

Quote from: San Antone on February 16, 2022, 03:34:32 PM
::)
Ok. Maybe insipid is going too far. Also, I don't mean to suggest that Ugorskaja isn't very good. It is good.

San Antone

Quote from: milk on February 16, 2022, 04:05:00 PM
Ok. Maybe insipid is going too far. Also, I don't mean to suggest that Ugorskaja isn't very good. It is good.

Because of your post I listened to about half of the George Lepauw WTC but found it indulgent for my taste - which I suppose is insipidly conventional.  ;)   8)

milk

Quote from: San Antone on February 16, 2022, 04:28:00 PM
Because of your post I listened to about half of the George Lepauw WTC but found it indulgent for my taste - which I suppose is insipidly conventional.  ;)   8)
well, my reactions change. I'm not reliable. I might like Schiff better next time I play it. ETA and see? Listening to Lepauw this morning, I could totally see how he might get annoying. I bet you do or would like Pienaar. No fussiness and kind of "old style," in a good way. Like, crash and burn!

Mandryka

Well, I'm at the end of my Papa Bach collection perusal w/ the WTC works - currently own 6 versions shown below, 3 on piano & 3 on harpsichord (and like to have both instrument options) - now I've not updated my WTC recordings in years, so maybe some newer offerings? The overall number is fine, i.e. 6 versions are plenty for me but 'culling and adding' is a consideration -  ;D

In looking through the last dozen pages of this thread, I see plenty of newer recordings unfamiliar to me, so would be interested in comments - now, I did look at reviews on the ones owned (see attachment if interested) - these have all received excellent to outstanding write-ups, but would like to do some Spotify listening of other recent favorites here.  Thanks for any help.  Dave :)

Have a listen to John Butt. Nobody here likes it, I don't like it, though I have tried to defend it slightly on this thread. What I can say is that it's rethought through enough to be worth hearing.

aukhawk

Well George Lepauw (piano) is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me - certainly very indulgent.  Similarly with Ugorskaja and she is more restrained, a safer recommendation for sure.  Papastefanou somewhere between those two.

Bach, WTC Bk 1 & 2 - Lepauw

Not at all complete but Anderszewski is superb for those BkII items he chooses to give us.

Bach, WTC Bk 2 (excerpts) - Anderszewski

On hpschd - well there's always Rubsam.  I think Gilbert is still very good, straight as a die by more modern standards (my 1st set, dating from most of a lifetime ago).  I wanted to like Watchorn but didn't, found him stodgy.

milk

I feel like harpsichordists are consistently interesting and worth the listen. Not so with pianists. The big name HIP-sters almost all have something to say. Big name pianists can be good or really meh. I don't know why this is. Sorry, maybe I'm a broken record. I do keep listening to this on piano and sometimes liking it.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 17, 2022, 02:45:03 AM
I feel like harpsichordists are consistently interesting and worth the listen. Not so with pianists. The big name HIP-sters almost all have something to say. Big name pianists can be good or really meh. I don't know why this is. Sorry, maybe I'm a broken record. I do keep listening to this on piano and sometimes liking it.

Did you ever try this one?

https://open.spotify.com/album/3C9rZao4ilpiUtNtQsAqR4

staxomega

Leonhardt's DHM is pretty much a reference level must have.

Aside from that personal favorites - Kenneth Weiss and Celine Frisch. Evgeni Koroliov, Andrei Vieru and I'll second (or third) Dina Ugorskaja. I also love Edwin Fischer but that is a big YMMV on this board :)

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 17, 2022, 03:56:51 AM

An additional recommendation from me of this set (Hans-Georg Schäfer), which I also have praised before. His piano is tuned unequally to great effect. It is together with the set by Ivo Janssen the only two piano recordings of WTC, which I do stand in the long run. I don't know the live set by the late Demus (yet) though.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

staxomega

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 17, 2022, 03:56:51 AM

I've tried a few times with Schafer. I don't know why I can't warm to it. I know he's a favorite around here. Maybe it'll click with me some day. I do think that there must be something to it if it get's a thumbs up here. ETA: I do think Pienaar is quite good.

San Antone

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 17, 2022, 05:16:23 AM
An additional recommendation from me of this set (Hans-Georg Schäfer), which I also have praised before.

Not for me.  His playing reminds of when I was in music school and would hear organ majors play the piano.  Horrible touch.

staxomega

Quote from: San Antone on February 17, 2022, 05:29:11 AM
Not for me.  His playing reminds of when I was in music school and would hear organ majors play the piano.  Horrible touch.

From brief listening he seems to really emphasize contrapuntal element. I can see that being polarizing.

edit: I have to thank amw for mentioning Ledbetter's book a while back, it's utterly fantastic.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 17, 2022, 05:16:23 AM
An additional recommendation from me of this set (Hans-Georg Schäfer), which I also have praised before. His piano is tuned unequally to great effect. It is together with the set by Ivo Janssen the only two piano recordings of WTC, which I do stand in the long run. I don't know the live set by the late Demus (yet) though.

Let me know if you want the Demus. I think that Nikolayeva is also worth a listen.