Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: Norbeone on September 23, 2008, 09:11:51 AM

If you also go for a harpsichord version, I really like Bob van Asperen's recording, and also Gustav Leonardt's.

:)

Same here.  I also love Gilbert's set, and my favorite comes from Glenn Wilson on Teldec.  For those interested in the new Bach/Lehman tuning system, Richard Egarr/Harmonia Mundi and Peter Watchorn/Musica Omnia have both recorded Book 1; it's a very interesting tuning that Lehman contends was the one actually used by Bach. 

Que

Quote from: Que on May 06, 2007, 08:38:04 PM
Another vote for Glen Wilson on harpsichord and Glen Glould on piano!

Q

For harpsichord, I'm now adding Ottavio Dantone to my earlier recommendation.
See my comments (and link to samples) HERE.

Q

Opus106

Quote from: Norbeone on September 23, 2008, 09:11:51 AM

I find almost all of Gould's Preludes and Fugues (particularly the fugues) to be absolutely mesmerizing, full of spontaneity (not randomness) and vitality.
[emphasis mine]

Yes, I too feel the same, but I'm not sure whether to attribute it to Gould or Bach's wonderful fugues themselves. He does seem to have his own way of playing it, but still...

QuoteIf you also go for a harpsichord version, I really like Bob van Asperen's recording, and also Gustav Leonardt's.
:)

Quote from: Bulldog on September 23, 2008, 09:44:10 AM
Same here.  I also love Gilbert's set, and my favorite comes from Glenn Wilson on Teldec.  For those interested in the new Bach/Lehman tuning system, Richard Egarr/Harmonia Mundi and Peter Watchorn/Musica Omnia have both recorded Book 1; it's a very interesting tuning that Lehman contends was the one actually used by Bach. 

Thanks again for the rec's, guys. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

marvinbrown

Don  8), not for nothing but could you please explain what you mean by "Papa Bach"??  ??? ??

marvin

Bulldog

Quote from: marvinbrown on September 23, 2008, 11:04:45 AM

Don  8), not for nothing but could you please explain what you mean by "Papa Bach"??  ??? ??

marvin

Performances that are very spiritually uplifting, as if Bach is standing before us with outstretched arms waiting to envelop us in his enlightenment and security.  It's an emotional thing, and I feel it most strongly in the Fellner recording on ECM.  I do caution that some other folks find the Fellner interpretations much less compelling than I do.

I forgot to mention that my review of the Fellner can be found on the MusicWeb International website.  Just search for Fellner.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Bulldog on September 23, 2008, 12:26:52 PM
Performances that are very spiritually uplifting, as if Bach is standing before us with outstretched arms waiting to envelop us in his enlightenment and security.  It's an emotional thing, and I feel it most strongly in the Fellner recording on ECM. 

Ah yes I could use a surrogate father  0:).

marvin

Bulldog

I noticed that Jill Crossland's name has not been mentioned on this thread, so I'll mention her now.  Her complete WTC is available on the Signum label and it's a glorious set of performances.  The colors she elicits are stunning, and her rhythms are exactly the way I like them.  I'm just amazed at how fresh the music sounds from Crossland.  From what I've read of other reviews, her performances are highly regarded.  Give it a try.  Both Books are available on the Naxos Music Library.

Bunny

Don, thanks for the heads up!  This is one that's probably as affordable expensive as it is good.   :P

Bulldog

Quote from: Bunny on October 02, 2008, 06:37:59 AM
Don, thanks for the heads up!  This is one that's probably as affordable expensive as it is good.   :P

Yes, list price for both books is around $80, but you can get it from Amazon sellers for less than $60.

Bulldog

Quote from: Bunny on October 02, 2008, 06:37:59 AM
Don, thanks for the heads up! 

Hope you love the set.  I forgot to mention that Crossland also recorded the Goldbergs in the late 1990's; it's on Warner Apex.  Be advised that her Goldbergs, although quite interesting, is well below the level of her WTC.  She was very young back then, and her fantastic way with color in the WTC doesn't come across in her Goldbergs.  Also, she tends to be a "note blaster" in the earlier recording.

Bunny

Quote from: Bulldog on October 03, 2008, 01:58:09 PM
Hope you love the set.  I forgot to mention that Crossland also recorded the Goldbergs in the late 1990's; it's on Warner Apex.  Be advised that her Goldbergs, although quite interesting, is well below the level of her WTC.  She was very young back then, and her fantastic way with color in the WTC doesn't come across in her Goldbergs.  Also, she tends to be a "note blaster" in the earlier recording.

Good to know!  The Goldbergs are more tempting because of the pricepoint.  The WTC is very expensive, especially as the 2 Book set isn't out in the USA yet.  It would be fiscally worthwhile to wait for that to be available, or to try and source it elsewhere. 

Any idea whether Till Felner has recorded the second book yet?  I'd really love to see that one.

Btw, the Crossland WTC is also available at Classics Online for ~$20.00 per volume at 320kbps MP3 as well as at Amazon at 256kbps MP3 for $17.00.  Neither is tempting enough for that price considering the compression.

Bulldog

Quote from: Bunny on October 04, 2008, 07:34:49 AM
Good to know!  The Goldbergs are more tempting because of the pricepoint.  The WTC is very expensive, especially as the 2 Book set isn't out in the USA yet.  It would be fiscally worthwhile to wait for that to be available, or to try and source it elsewhere. 

Any idea whether Till Felner has recorded the second book yet?  I'd really love to see that one.

Crossland's Book 2 is available in the USA.  As for Felner's Book 2, no recording yet.

Bunny

I was not referring Book 2, but the combined 2 book set (WTC I & WTC II) which is now available in UK.

Drat!  I really liked Fellner's book 1!

Opus106

Angela Hewitt's second recording of the 48 will be released this year. I found this while listening to her first, so I have not listened to the samples yet.
Regards,
Navneeth

Bulldog

Quote from: opus67 on January 16, 2009, 09:36:03 AM
Angela Hewitt's second recording of the 48 will be released this year. I found this while listening to her first, so I have not listened to the samples yet.

This surprises me very much since Hewitt's first go at it was just about 10 years ago.  I assume she has re-thought her interpretations and now has some new ideas for us.  Should be interesting, and I hope the new one's better than the first (which was pretty good but not outstanding).

SonicMan46

QuoteBach, JS Well-tempered Clavier, Books 1 & 2 w/ Jill Crossland - Signum Records has just 'combined' this set into a 4-CD offering which I could not find offered in the USA (Amazon upped its price to nearly $42 per 2-CD books!) - so, for the first time ordering overseas, I just entered a purchase on the Signum UK site for the 4-CD TOTAL set - I think w/ the exchange rate (and S/H) the price will be just under $40!  :)

Now, Don (a.k.a. Bulldog) peaked my interest in this set, so expect to really enjoy!  ;D

Just duplicating a recent post of mine above about Crossland's WTC - have listened to this set several times already - decided to 'sell off' my first Hewitt WTC - the new 4-CD 'combined' offering by Signum Records is hard to match for price or performance!  :)

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on January 16, 2009, 12:45:14 PM
Just duplicating a recent post of mine above about Crossland's WTC - have listened to this set several times already - decided to 'sell off' my first Hewitt WTC - the new 4-CD 'combined' offering by Signum Records is hard to match for price or performance!  :)

I still have my copies of Hewitt's WTC, but I also much prefer Crossland.

Josquin des Prez

Pah, forget Hewitt. What you need is Vladimir Feltsman.  ;D

Peregrine

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on January 16, 2009, 01:33:26 PM

Yeah, good set that.
Yes, we have no bananas

Bulldog

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on January 16, 2009, 01:33:26 PM

I hope it's better than Feltsman's odd and not satisfying Goldbergs with those horrible repeats.