Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

What's with the Richter obsession?  Sure, his WTC recordings are among the best piano versions on record, but he's not alone at the top of the mountain.  Gould, Sheppard, Crossland, Fellner and a few others are just as compelling.

ezodisy

Fellner?

He's okay, in his own way, but let's not mention him next to Richter. It would be like comparing Anouk Aimee to some woman in a McDonald's advert

George

Quote from: Mandryka on February 09, 2009, 08:03:49 AM
Is the RCA set a studio recording, or does it come from concerts in Austria?

I'd be interested to know whether anyone has tried the newly remastered RCA -- is there a big improvement?

RCA is a studio recording.

I can give you feedback in about a week and a half about the comparison of the remastered and unremastered Book one.

Bulldog

Quote from: ezodisy on February 09, 2009, 09:40:20 AM
Fellner?

He's okay, in his own way, but let's not mention him next to Richter. It would be like comparing Anouk Aimee to some woman in a McDonald's advert

Concerning Bach's WTC, Fellner stands tall next to Richter. 

The main point is that Bach is the key artist here, not Richter nor any other performer.

ezodisy

well I couldn't disagree more, and you know I am not mad about Richter. The Fellner performance is just too smooth and too mild. Richter isn't perfect but he at least breathes life into the music (and of course Bach gets all the credit for it). I would respect Fellner quite a lot and wouldn't be saying this were it not for trying to compare his recording to Richter's (I might say the same about Crossland but don't know that one...)

Bulldog

Quote from: ezodisy on February 09, 2009, 11:48:46 AM
well I couldn't disagree more, and you know I am not mad about Richter. The Fellner performance is just too smooth and too mild. Richter isn't perfect but he at least breathes life into the music (and of course Bach gets all the credit for it). I would respect Fellner quite a lot and wouldn't be saying this were it not for trying to compare his recording to Richter's (I might say the same about Crossland but don't know that one...)

As I indicated earlier, my main reason for posting here today is simply to state that Bach trumps any performer of his music.  When I saw that this thread about Bach's WTC was turning into a Richter love-fest, I wanted to add my two cents worth that, and I'll be as diplomatic as possible, one Bach is worth a thousand Richters, or Turecks, or Goulds, etc. 

ezodisy

Agreed, Bach for ever.

(Feinberg love-fest starts at 14.30 tomorrow)

Bulldog

Quote from: ezodisy on February 09, 2009, 01:56:03 PM
Agreed, Bach for ever.

(Feinberg love-fest starts at 14.30 tomorrow)

Rocky Mountain time?

George

I think this idea of the composer's importance vs the performers importance would be interesting to discuss, so I started a thread:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,10994.0.html

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Bulldog on February 09, 2009, 12:47:30 PM
As I indicated earlier, my main reason for posting here today is simply to state that Bach trumps any performer of his music.  When I saw that this thread about Bach's WTC was turning into a Richter love-fest, I wanted to add my two cents worth that, and I'll be as diplomatic as possible, one Bach is worth a thousand Richters, or Turecks, or Goulds, etc. 

I rather enjoyed the good read. Especially dirk's contributions (he's always a worthwhile read). Besides, diversions like these are usually only temporary. Then it's back to...whatever.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on February 09, 2009, 12:47:30 PM
As I indicated earlier, my main reason for posting here today is simply to state that Bach trumps any performer of his music.  

IMO, not only does Bach trump any performer of his music, he trumps all other composers as well.  He is the greatest of all composers of all time, dead or alive.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on February 09, 2009, 06:32:22 PM
IMO, not only does Bach trump any performer of his music, he trumps all other composers as well. 

Seconded.

Mandryka

Quote from: George on February 09, 2009, 09:45:06 AM
RCA is a studio recording.

I can give you feedback in about a week and a half about the comparison of the remastered and unremastered Book one.

:)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Bulldog on February 09, 2009, 08:47:21 AM
. . . at the top of the mountain [is] Gould . . .

People often say this -- but, as I've said before in this forum, I've never enjoyed that Gould set.

You obviously like it, Bulldog.

Please, point out some of the Preludes and Fugues in the set which really work sor you, so that I can give them a good relistening to.

Bulldog

Quote from: Mandryka on February 09, 2009, 09:12:22 PM
People often say this -- but, as I've said before in this forum, I've never enjoyed that Gould set.

You obviously like it, Bulldog.

Please, point out some of the Preludes and Fugues in the set which really work sor you, so that I can give them a good relistening to.

Time is limited, so I'll just mention Gould's Bk. 1 performances I find exceptional:

Prelude in C major
Fugue in D major
Prelude & Fugue in D minor
Prelude & Fugue in E flat major
Prelude in E flat minor
Fugue in D sharp minor
Prelude in E major
Prelude & Fugue in F sharp major
Fugue in G minor
Prelude in G sharp minor
Fugue in A major
Prelude in B flat major
Prelude & Fugue in B flat minor

Mandryka

Quote from: Bulldog on February 10, 2009, 08:18:22 AM
Time is limited, so I'll just mention Gould's Bk. 1 performances I find exceptional:

Prelude in C major
Fugue in D major
Prelude in E flat minor
Fugue in D sharp minor
Prelude in E major
Fugue in G minor
Prelude in G sharp minor
Fugue in A major
Prelude in B flat major

Thanks -- I'll relisten.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on February 10, 2009, 08:18:22 AM

Prelude in C major
Fugue in D major
Prelude in E flat minor
Fugue in D sharp minor
Prelude in E major
Fugue in G minor
Prelude in G sharp minor
Fugue in A major
Prelude in B flat major

Are these selections also available in that 80-CD set released by Sony?  I bought that set last year at a great price.

Mandryka

Quote from: Coopmv on February 10, 2009, 05:26:38 PM
Are these selections also available in that 80-CD set released by Sony?  I bought that set last year at a great price.

Woulldn't it be marvelously ironic if they weren't? ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: Mandryka on February 10, 2009, 08:57:20 PM
Woulldn't it be marvelously ironic if they weren't? ;D

In the good old LP days, I almost never bought any Columbia and for that matter any American labels.  I would reluctantly buy some Angel LP's since EMI were not widely available then.  The surface noise of American-pressing classical LP's was just atrocious.  As such, the few thousand LP's I now have are almost exclusively European and why not.  After all, I found few American ensembles particularly appealing.  When it came to baroque music, most European ensembles were just much better and still are.   

Coopmv

Has anyone ever heard the WTC by Jill Crossland?