Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Coopmv on December 06, 2009, 04:03:28 PM
Check with George, who knows more a lot about piano works than most on the forum.  I think he has this Tureck's DG set as well.

Fixed.  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: George on December 06, 2009, 04:06:39 PM
That would make the decision easy for me. The sound on the DG is perfectly fine IMO, unless your someone who focuses on sound ahead of performance.

There you go, DA.  I cannot agree more.  I have at least 15 versions of these works, mostly on piano but a few on harpsichord.  I will not bother with the BBC version myself.  BTW, there are also some excellent harpsichord versions of these works as well ...

Franco

I have the DG version and can't imagine what about the sound would be objectionable; in fact, I think the sound is very pleasant, intimate and not very reverberant, as if she were playing in a room as opposed to a concert hall.   I haven't heard the BBC recording so can't compare the two.

Coopmv

George,

IIRC, you have multiple versions of WTC by Sviatoslav Richter?  I only have the RCA Gold Seal version ...

George

Quote from: Coopmv on December 06, 2009, 04:31:39 PM
George,

IIRC, you have multiple versions of WTC by Sviatoslav Richter?  I only have the RCA Gold Seal version ...

Yes, I have three, though for 1969 only Book One was released.

1. '70, '72, '73 - Salzburg Studio (RCA)
2. '73 - Live at Insbruck (Victor)
3. '69 - Live (Revelation)

DarkAngel

Thanks for the Tureck info gents.........I will buy the mono DG and save some green.

If I want good sound I have the Hewitt/Hyperion WTC   ;)

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 06, 2009, 05:53:44 PM
Thanks for the Tureck info gents.........I will buy the mono DG and save some green.

If I want good sound I have the Hewitt/Hyperion WTC   ;)

Angela Hewitt 2008 WTC and the much-harder-to-find WTC by Tatiana Nikolayeva are just about the last 2 versions of WTC I would like to get.  I have the earlier version of WTC by HW already and of course the WTC by the iconoclastic Glenn Gould via that 80-CD set, which I bought for $109 (shipping included) two years ago but is now listed for just under $500 ...    :o

BTW, the WTC by Edwin Fischer on Naxos Historical is quite nice as well.  I bought those 2 sets last spring ...

Coopmv

Quote from: George on December 06, 2009, 05:41:20 PM
Yes, I have three, though for 1969 only Book One was released.

1. '70, '72, '73 - Salzburg Studio (RCA)
2. '73 - Live at Insbruck (Victor)
3. '69 - Live (Revelation)

Is the RCA Gold Seal version (the set I have) a totally different set of recordings?

George

Quote from: Coopmv on December 06, 2009, 06:24:53 PM
Is the RCA Gold Seal version (the set I have) a totally different set of recordings?

Nope, that's the RCA I listed first.

Bulldog

Quote from: Franco on December 06, 2009, 04:18:30 PM
I have the DG version and can't imagine what about the sound would be objectionable; in fact, I think the sound is very pleasant, intimate and not very reverberant, as if she were playing in a room as opposed to a concert hall.   

Well, the Tureck/DG sound does have a lot of debris with recessed piano tone.  Still, this is the set that I most treasure.

DarkAngel

Looking for best WTC performed using clavichord............hopefully in good modern sound

What are my options?

Interesting article on Tureck's website has me searching one out........
http://tureckbach.com/documents/piano-harpsichord-or-clavichord/

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 07, 2009, 07:07:41 AM
Looking for best WTC performed using clavichord............hopefully in good modern sound

What are my options?

I'm familiar with the Kirkpatrick on DG and Tilney on Hyperion; note that Tilney uses a harpsichord for Bk. 2.

I find the Kirkpatrick the better performance.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Bulldog on December 07, 2009, 08:20:20 AM
I'm familiar with the Kirkpatrick on DG and Tilney on Hyperion; note that Tilney uses a harpsichord for Bk. 2.

I find the Kirkpatrick the better performance.

OK I placed order for Kirkpatrick/DG Originals Archiv Bk II since price was very cheap at Amazon USA
There is also a hard to find version by Tuma/Supraphon someone mentioned here............

Bulldog

Pollini's WTC I arrived at my door today.  Think I'll do some comparision with the five other sets I acquired within the past two or three years:  Watchorn, Egarr, Sheppard, Crossland and Rangell. 

DarkAngel

Quote from: Bulldog on December 07, 2009, 08:55:21 PM
Pollini's WTC I arrived at my door today.  Think I'll do some comparision with the five other sets I acquired within the past two or three years:  Watchorn, Egarr, Sheppard, Crossland and Rangell.

Bulldog
What is your current favorite WTC if you could keep only one.......
Also do you like Gould for WTC?

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 08, 2009, 04:17:43 AM
Bulldog
What is your current favorite WTC if you could keep only one.......

In case you need a quick reply, I asked him that question and I believe his answer was Tureck, DG. 

EDIT: (see below)

Quote from: Bulldog on December 06, 2009, 10:07:00 PM
Well, the Tureck/DG sound does have a lot of debris with recessed piano tone.  Still, this is the set that I most treasure.

DarkAngel

Quote from: George on December 08, 2009, 04:32:26 AM
In case you need a quick reply, I asked him that question and I believe his answer was Tureck, DG. 

I have the Tureck/DG ordered........as well as the Crossland WTC which is very cheap now
Also recently received the Van Asperen/Virgin WTC for harpsicord

Mostly listen to Hewitt/Hyperion and Gould/Sony right now........but always looking for new contenders

I also have the Richter/RCA WTC but find it a bit puzzling, not yet fully in sync with it yet
I need to be in a certain mood to listen to Bach and go long periods with no Bach......

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 08, 2009, 04:49:02 AM
I have the Tureck/DG ordered........as well as the Crossland WTC which is very cheap now
Also recently received the Van Asperen/Virgin WTC for harpsicord

Mostly listen to Hewitt/Hyperion and Gould/Sony right now........but always looking for new contenders

Try Feinberg.  8)

http://www.russiandvd.com/store/product.asp?sku=35887&genreid=

Click on "Preview" to sample, I think it plays the whole first CD.

DarkAngel

George

Very nice, great sound for late 1950s mono, Feinberg has my name written on it  ;)

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 08, 2009, 05:40:37 AM
George

Very nice, great sound for late 1950s mono, Feinberg has my name written on it  ;)

Great! Just so you know, that's the best mastering of those performances available.