Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 08, 2009, 04:17:43 AM
Bulldog
What is your current favorite WTC if you could keep only one.......
Also do you like Gould for WTC?

As George said, it's the Tureck/DG for me.  Concerning Gould, I very much like his WTC as well as his other Bach recordings.

George

Quote from: Bulldog on December 08, 2009, 08:47:19 AM
As George said, it's the Tureck/DG for me.  Concerning Gould, I very much like his WTC as well as his other Bach recordings.

He was my intro to Bach and I like his Bach so much that I don't own many other recordings of Bach's keyboard stuff. There's a playful, happy quality to his playing that I very much enjoy. Not to mention his clarity and precision. 

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 08, 2009, 04:49:02 AM
I have the Tureck/DG ordered........as well as the Crossland WTC which is very cheap now
Also recently received the Van Asperen/Virgin WTC for harpsicord

That van Asperen set is excellent, although my preferrred harpsichord version comes from Glen Wilson.

That reminds me of an amusing story.  A few years ago, when I was buying discs like crazy and reviewing them, Wilson sent me an e-mail and wanted my address so he could send me a couple of his cds.  A few weeks later, my wife answers the phone and it's Wilson on the other line.  According to my wife, he said "Is this the home of Don Satz, the Bach expert?".  Wilson just wanted to make sure I had received the discs he sent.  When she got off the phone, my wife said that Wilson evidently wasn't aware that my true expertise was procrastination.  Boy, she sure has me pegged correctly.

George

Quote from: Bulldog on December 08, 2009, 08:55:46 AM
When she got off the phone, my wife said that Wilson evidently wasn't aware that my true expertise was procrastination. 

;D

Bulldog

Quote from: George on December 08, 2009, 08:50:26 AM
He was my intro to Bach and I like his Bach so much that I don't own many other recordings of Bach's keyboard stuff. There's a playful, happy quality to his playing that I very much enjoy. Not to mention his clarity and precision.

What I most enjoy about Gould's Bach is that he gives equal weight to each musical line and does so perfectly.  Craig Sheppard is a Gould clone in that regard.

George

Quote from: Bulldog on December 08, 2009, 08:57:48 AM
What I most enjoy about Gould's Bach is that he gives equal weight to each musical line and does so perfectly. 

Yes, he is staggeringly, almost inhumanly good at this aspect of his performances.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Bulldog on December 08, 2009, 08:55:46 AM
That reminds me of an amusing story.  A few years ago, when I was buying discs like crazy and reviewing them, Wilson sent me an e-mail and wanted my address so he could send me a couple of his cds.  A few weeks later, my wife answers the phone and it's Wilson on the other line.  According to my wife, he said "Is this the home of Don Satz, the Bach expert?".  Wilson just wanted to make sure I had received the discs he sent.  When she got off the phone, my wife said that Wilson evidently wasn't aware that my true expertise was procrastination.  Boy, she sure has me pegged correctly.

Bulldog do you review CDs for a publication/website other than this forum?
That is quite an "honor" to be called the Bach expert by a noted artist  :)

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 08, 2009, 09:03:39 AM
Bulldog do you review CDs for a publication/website other than this forum?
That is quite an "honor" to be called the Bach expert by a noted artist  :)

I was doing about one Bach review a day for Classical Net; then I started in with MusicWeb, expanding my musical boundaries.  I review very little these days (burnt out).

I don't know about the "honor" thing.  Wilson didn't even want to talk to me, just my wife.  I think he was irked that I hadn't informed him that I received the discs.  At that time I received all kinds of cds from various sources, so it wasn't easy to remember who to respond to.  Plus, I am a role-model for procrastinators.

springrite

Quote from: Bulldog on December 08, 2009, 09:12:51 AM
I am a role-model for procrastinators.

...which reminds me, I've been meaning to respond on this thread since its inception...

BTW, the Hewitt first set is now available at BRO. I wonder if I should get it...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Leo K.

Quote from: Bulldog on February 27, 2009, 08:21:43 AM
These are the newer WTC's I'm aware of:

Suzuki - Bk. 2/BIS
Watchorn - Bk. 1/Musica Omnia
Egarr - Bk. 1/Harmonia Mundi

All three are available; Watchorn is the least expensive ($16).  Suzuki and Watchorn would be my picks of the three, but neither reaches the Wilson.

Wow...based on this post I bought the Watchorn on iTunes and WOW...great performance so far!!!

I have been searching for a modern harpischord WTC...

Thanks.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Leo K on December 09, 2009, 11:01:09 AM
Wow...based on this post I bought the Watchorn on iTunes and WOW...great performance so far!!!

I have been searching for a modern harpischord WTC...  Thanks.

Hello Leo - yes, Don & George are two of the top Bach keyboard experts here, so their advice is always worth reading (and in making purchasing decisions!) -  :D

But concerning Watchorn in the WTC Bk. 1 - you may be aware that he is playing a 'pedal harpsichord'?  If not checked out a brief discussion on the Old Musical Instrument thread HERE - I've ordered his WTC Bk. 2 from his website (listed previously) - was supposed to have been released by now!  I put in a pre-release order and exchanged a few e-mails w/ him recently - he says it is on the way soon!  May be something quite special!   :D

Que

Quote from: Leo K on December 09, 2009, 11:01:09 AM

I have been searching for a modern harpischord WTC...

Besides the set by Glen Wilson (Teldec/ OOP) that Don/Bulldog mentioned I can reccommend Dantone. A repost from the "Bach on the harpsichord" thread:

Though mentioned once before, a short note of my impressions on these marvelous recordings of Bach WTC.
These were on my list a long time, but were no priority because I already had splendid WTC by Glen Wilson (Teldec - OOP). But I'm glad I eventually did pick them up.
Dantone is a player with an elegant and extrovert, at times even dashing, style: this WTC sparkles freely on a crisp and clear but lush sounding French harpsichord by Blanchet (1733). Dantone is generally swift(ish) and always keeps momentum - even in the slow passages there is a strong "pulse" and projection of the musical lines. Very strong bass lines. His freedom and extrovertness is combined with a firm grip on musical structure and a rock-solid rhythmic approach. And this combination makes it so special IMO. A strong and personal style that suits me. The recording is called "audiophile", and it lives up to this title.

I happily put this WTC next to Glen Wilson's more reflective approach.

SAMPLES BOOK I                                      SAMPLES BOOK II

Q

Leo K.

Thanks for those posts and links SonicMan and Que!!!

8)

Scarpia

I haven't seen any mention here of Pollini's recently released recording with DG.  I'll admit being initially intrigued, could the ice-man bring unprecedented clarity to these works?  But a quick listen to some excerpts on the led to the opposite conclusion.  Any one here heard it?

I'm also curious about Ashkenazy's recording.

Bulldog

Quote from: Scarpia on December 11, 2009, 10:53:44 AM
I haven't seen any mention here of Pollini's recently released recording with DG.  I'll admit being initially intrigued, could the ice-man bring unprecedented clarity to these works?  But a quick listen to some excerpts on the led to the opposite conclusion.  Any one here heard it?

I have the Pollini and have listened to it just a couple of times so far.  Although I don't care for his Prelude in C major which I find rather boring, my overall feeling about the set is positive.  I was interested in seeing how he would handle Bach's more introspective and bleak pieces; instead of the "cold" approach, I find him really digging into the emotional content.

I had heard that the sound on the set is overly resonant.  True, it is a little wet, but I haven't found it a problem.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on December 11, 2009, 12:19:18 PM
I have the Pollini and have listened to it just a couple of times so far.  Although I don't care for his Prelude in C major which I find rather boring, my overall feeling about the set is positive.  I was interested in seeing how he would handle Bach's more introspective and bleak pieces; instead of the "cold" approach, I find him really digging into the emotional content.

I had heard that the sound on the set is overly resonant.  True, it is a little wet, but I haven't found it a problem.

Thanks for your interesting comments.  I was hoping to save some money, but now...  :(

Bulldog

Quote from: Scarpia on December 11, 2009, 01:04:36 PM
Thanks for your interesting comments.  I was hoping to save some money, but now...  :(

You can get it for under $20 - that's pretty good for a new 2-cd set from one of the most famous pianists.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on December 11, 2009, 02:08:39 PM
You can get it for under $20 - that's pretty good for a new 2-cd set from one of the most famous pianists.

Yes, but I can get Ashkenazy Bk I and Bk II for $20 as well.  And I haven't even listened to my Turek DG yet!

Bulldog

Quote from: Scarpia on December 11, 2009, 02:38:35 PM
Yes, but I can get Ashkenazy Bk I and Bk II for $20 as well.  And I haven't even listened to my Turek DG yet!

I don't know how big a fan you are of Bach's keyboard music.  For a Bach nut like myself, there is no "but".

FWIW, I wouldn't buy more WTC's until I listened to the ones already owned.

George

Quote from: Bulldog on December 11, 2009, 02:46:59 PM
FWIW, I wouldn't buy more WTC's until I listened to the ones already owned.

Very good advice (though I have been know to behave otherwise.)  0:)