Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

Quote from: Bulldog on January 16, 2009, 11:21:49 AM
This surprises me very much since Hewitt's first go at it was just about 10 years ago.  I assume she has re-thought her interpretations and now has some new ideas for us.  Should be interesting, and I hope the new one's better than the first (which was pretty good but not outstanding).

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67741/4

I have ordered the new Hewitt 48 as I hear a fresher more flexible mind at work........
I will be selling original Hewitt/Hyperion if CD set sounds as good as samples

In her notes from Hyperion website she talks about all the experience from several years of live WTC performances coupled with use of a Fazioli piano which she thinks better communicates Bach's music. Before the new recording she sat down and listened in detail to her original recording taking notes thinking the original now sounds too rigid and square. Her new approach also influenced by recording Couperin & Rameau whose more flowing free style have given her new insights and freedoms in playing baroque keyboard.

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 12, 2009, 04:44:07 AM
I have ordered the new Hewitt 48 as I hear a fresher more flexible mind at work........
I will be selling original Hewitt/Hyperion if CD set sounds as good as samples

In her notes from Hyperion website she talks about all the experience from several years of live WTC performances coupled with use of a Fazioli piano which she thinks better communicates Bach's music. Before the new recording she sat down and listened in detail to her original recording taking notes thinking the original now sounds too rigid and square. Her new approach also influenced by recording Couperin & Rameau whose more flowing free style have given her new insights and freedoms in playing baroque keyboard.

With over 15 complete versions of the WTC (mainly performed on piano and a few on harpsichord), most of which have already been discussed in this thread, there are only two more versions I expect to get.  The recently released version by HW (I have just about all her baroque piano works) and the very-hard-to-find version by Tatiana Nikolayeva - considered the foremost interpreter of Bach keyboard works in the former Soviet Union.  While Pollini is an excellent pianist, my suspicion of his affinity (for lack of a better word I can think of at the moment) with Bach has been confirmed by what some of you have written about his WTC recording.  BTW, I have read mostly less than flattering reviews of the version by Daniel Barenboim, which I had the foresight to skip.  I found the Ashkenazy's version a pleasant surprise with pretty refreshing tempi and excellent execution.  Helene Grimaud's recent Bach recording has not turned out to be a stunning success IMO and I doubt she will even attempt to record WTC in the near future ...

DarkAngel

Tureck/DG
I listened to the early 1950s mono set many like here, the sound does have a noticeable amount of tape noise but it is not serious and you notice it less as you listen on. My initial run through was interesting, the slow style of Tureck seems to be deep and probing like someone studying the music in great detail, a smooth elegant style. This may allow certain details and nuances to emerge that can be rushed over, but also sacrifices some forward momentum and dramatic energy.........I will have to revisit these after sometime to more fully understand them

Coop
Who currently is your favorite WTC for piano & Harpsicord?

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 12, 2009, 05:05:43 AM
Tureck/DG
I listened to the early 1950s mono set many like here, the sound does have a noticeable amount of tape noise but it is not serious and you notice it less as you listen on. My initial run through was interesting, the slow style of Tureck seems to be cautious and probing like someone studying the music in great detail. This may allow certain details and nuances to emerge but also sacrifices some forward momentum and dramatic energy.........I will have to revisit these after sometime to more fully understand them

Coop
Who currently is your favorite WTC for piano & Harpsicord?

For piano, I really enjoy the monaural version by Tureck, there is that degree of warmth and intimacy that are lacking in most other versions.  Yeah, one may quibble with the SQ, which is actually not bad.  I have the Glenn Gould's version via that 80-CD box-set and I think the performance is excellent.  A much little-known set by Evelyne Crochet, a French-born American pianist who was a protégé to Rubinstein, which I picked up a few months ago, was a very pleasant surprise on first listen (though I need to find time for a follow-up).  For the next and younger generation, Angela Hewitt and Jill Crossland are quite good.

For harpsichord, the version by Christiane Jaccottet get my top vote.  The version by Bob van Asperen may get my second vote.  I only have the version by Leonhardt on LP and should really get it on CD.  Years ago when I first got into Leonhardt (on LP), I found his harpsichord playing a bit cold and dragging a bit.  It is probably time to re-assess my opinion.

DarkAngel

Que has prompted me to try WTC Bk II by Dantone

Last night I pulled out the Landowska RCA Bach Box to remind myself of her playing style with her huge custom made harpsicord. The early 1950 sound is actually better than Tureck, a nice set to have since she has either taught or heavily influenced many of the best harpsicord players active today

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 12, 2009, 05:24:01 AM
Que has prompted me to try WTC Bk II by Dantone

Last night I pulled out the Landowska RCA Bach Box to remind myself of her playing style with her huge custom made harpsicord. The early 1950 sound is actually better than Tureck, a nice set to have since she has either taught or heavily influenced many of the best harpsicord players active today

I think Dantone records for a small label - Onyx?  I have a few recordings by him and Viktoria Mullova on Bach.  I will be interested to check out the version by Ton Koopman.

DarkAngel

Has anyone purchased the new Hantai/Mirare WTC I...........
If it is anything like his Goldbergs may have to try to ignore the high price of admission  :)

Short sound samples at Amazon sound great, as with Goldbergs uses harpsicord

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 12, 2009, 08:54:15 AM
If it is anything like his Goldbergs may have to try to ignore the high price of admission  :)

I do not have any recordings by Hantai performing solo, though I have a number of Bach recordings where he played in some ensemble.  I still don't know him as a soloist ...

DarkAngel

Quote from: Coopmv on December 12, 2009, 09:17:44 AM
I do not have any recordings by Hantai performing solo, though I have a number of Bach recordings where he played in some ensemble.  I still don't know him as a soloist ...

Time to change that............
I cannot recommend any Bach Goldberg variations for harpsicord more highly than Hantai's first performance, I think it is essential for any Bach collection

BTW...........I found a Jaccottet 4CD set WTC on some off label at Amazon for $5 used, took a flyer  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 12, 2009, 09:31:46 AM
Time to change that............
I cannot recommend any Bach Goldberg variations for harpsicord more highly than Hantai's first performance, I think it is essential for any Bach collection

BTW...........I found a Jaccottet 4CD set WTC on some off label at Amazon for $5 used, took a flyer  :)

Can't go wrong with that.  The late Jaccottet was a very classy Swiss harpsichordist.  Not sure why many of her recordings are deleted from the Philips catalog though.  I already have over 20 versions of Goldberg Variations, including haprsichord versions by Leonhardt and Pinnock but most are on piano. 

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 12, 2009, 08:54:15 AM

The Hantai WTC I isn't quite a new disc; it was recorded in 2001-02 and released in 2004.  I haven't listened to it for about three years, so my comments are from memory.  Overall, I much prefer both his Goldbergs to his WTC.  I find the soundstage overly resonant, so counterpoint detail is not admirable.  Also, I found that Hantai doesn't like to dig into Bach's dark side at all.

I should report that my opinion appears to be in the minority, and it would also be a good idea for me to listen to the set again; it's always possible that my opinion could change. 

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on December 12, 2009, 10:25:41 AM
I should report that my opinion appears to be in the minority, and it would also be a good idea for me to listen to the set again; it's always possible that my opinion could change.

I think your opinion won't change because it is exact, IMO; although, probably, it would also be a good idea for me to listen to the set again...  :D

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 12, 2009, 05:05:43 AM
Tureck/DG
I listened to the early 1950s mono set many like here, the sound does have a noticeable amount of tape noise but it is not serious and you notice it less as you listen on. My initial run through was interesting, the slow style of Tureck seems to be deep and probing like someone studying the music in great detail, a smooth elegant style. This may allow certain details and nuances to emerge that can be rushed over, but also sacrifices some forward momentum and dramatic energy.........I will have to revisit these after sometime to more fully understand them

"Deep and probing" is Tureck's calling card - I love her interpretations.  If I want forward momentum, there's always Gould and many others.

Bulldog

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 12, 2009, 10:32:19 AM
I think your opinion won't change because it is exact, IMO; although, probably, it would also be a good idea for me to listen to the set again...  :D

Boy, I had no idea that anyone else shared my views about the Hantai WTC I.  I feel better already. ;D

Opus106

Quote from: Bulldog on December 12, 2009, 10:32:42 AM
If I want forward momentum, there's always Gould and many others.

Maybe if I listen to other P&F's from his recording I might find it, but forward momentum was not something I find in the first two preludes of book 1. It was ambling away so slowly that it put me off from purchasing it. The music comes "in bits and pieces".
Regards,
Navneeth

Bulldog

Quote from: Opus106 on December 12, 2009, 10:43:41 AM
Maybe if I listen to other P&F's from his recording I might find it, but forward momentum was not something I find in the first two preludes of book 1. It was ambling away so slowly that it put me off from purchasing it. The music comes "in bits and pieces".

I'm surprised you feel this way about the Prelude in C minor where I find Gould's mild staccato quite invigorating with a strong dose of danger around the corner.

Opus106

Quote from: Bulldog on December 12, 2009, 10:57:34 AM
I'm surprised you feel this way about the Prelude in C minor where I find Gould's mild staccato quite invigorating with a strong dose of danger around the corner.

Mild staccato? That's a mild way of putting it, I'd say. ;D Although I probably won't like it very fast, a sense of urgency is what I favour at the moment.

Regards,
Navneeth

Bulldog

Quote from: Opus106 on December 12, 2009, 11:04:46 AM
Mild staccato? That's a mild way of putting it, I'd say. ;D Although I probably won't like it very fast, a sense of urgency is what I favour at the moment.

I'm not aware of any version of the Prelude in C minor that possesses greater urgency than Gould's, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Bulldog on December 12, 2009, 10:32:42 AM
"Deep and probing" is Tureck's calling card - I love her interpretations.  If I want forward momentum, there's always Gould and many others.

Bulldog what other worthy versions would you include in the Gould extrovert style............

Crossland/Signum
Got an amazing deal on the complete 4CD set new at Amazon USA for $11, gone now but keep watch as it pops up from time to time.

Crossland seems to be from the Tureck school, a gentle elegant style that floats by like a pleasant dream supported by an extremely high quality recording. The touch is so light and airy I sometimes thought I was hearing a harp and not a piano, however I found myself sometimes wishing there was more dramatic contrast, a touch of Gould, some vibrant colors to go with the beautiful pastel washes......

DarkAngel

Can anyone give me impressions of Suzuki/BIS WTC I, II...............
Where do they rank among harpsicord versions?