Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 12, 2009, 11:42:24 AM
Bulldog what other worthy versions would you include in the Gould extrovert style............

Crossland/Signum
Got an amazing deal on the complete 4CD set new at Amazon USA for $11, gone now but keep watch as it pops up from time to time.

Crossland seems to be from the Tureck school, a gentle elegant style that floats by like a pleasant dream supported by an extremely high quality recording. The touch is so light and airy I sometimes thought I was hearing a harp and not a piano, however I found myself sometimes wishing there was more dramatic contrast, a touch of Gould, some vibrant colors to go with the beautiful pastel washes......

What I should have said is that every version is more extrovert than Tureck's.

Concerning Crossland, I think she's great with variety of colors and textures.  Actually, she often surprises me with these changes within the same piece.

I am starting to be a big fan of Andrew Rangell's WTC I on Bridge.  Some find him perverse and self-serving.  I did also initially, but I'm warming up.  His is a very interesting and unusual set of interpretations highlighted by much in the way of agogic pauses and little twists on our traditional notions of Bach's rhythmic patterns.  When you're listening to about 10 versions of the same prelude or fugue, the Rangell account gets your attention.

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 12, 2009, 12:35:56 PM
Can anyone give me impressions of Suzuki/BIS WTC I, II...............
Where do they rank among harpsicord versions?

I've had his WTC I for a few years and find it highly artistic; however, the sound can be a little overbearing in the loudest pieces.  Have not yet picked up the WTC II but it remains on my high priority list.  As it is, I can listen to it all day long on the Naxos Music Library site.  I think you can acquire Suzuki's Bach with confidence, be it sacred choral or solo keyboard.  Try to give a listen to his ClavierUbung III on organ; I've never heard such powerful and severe readings - WOW!!!

SonicMan46

Don - since you are are EXPERT on Bach's keyboard works, would you be kind enough to list your top 2-3 selections of the WTC on both the piano & the harpsichord for us?  This thread is currently becoming more lengthy and difficult to follow.

At present, for my own collection, I have Jill Crossland on the piano (culled down from some others) - is she enough on this instrument or is there 'another' more historic collection to own that is substantially different?

On the harpsichord, I own Peter Watchorn on the pedal harpsichord, Bk. 1, and have on order his Bk. 2 - I'd love to have a standard harpsichord version but there seem to be SO MANY suggested.

Any comments, listings, or recommendations would be appreciated - thanks, as usual - Dave

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on December 12, 2009, 05:32:23 PM
Don - since you are are EXPERT on Bach's keyboard works, would you be kind enough to list your top 2-3 selections of the WTC on both the piano & the harpsichord for us? 

Piano - Tureck/DG and BBC, Gould/Sony, Crossland/Signum, Gulda/Philips, Fellner/ECM (Bk. 1).

Harpsichord - Wilson/Apex, Leonhardt/EMI, Gilbert/DG, van Asperen/Virgin Classics, Verlet/Naive.

Mandryka

Quote from: Bulldog on December 12, 2009, 07:00:10 PM
Piano - Tureck/DG and BBC, Gould/Sony, Crossland/Signum, Gulda/Philips, Fellner/ECM (Bk. 1).

Harpsichord - Wilson/Apex, Leonhardt/EMI, Gilbert/DG, van Asperen/Virgin Classics, Verlet/Naive.

Have you had a chance to hear Pollini?

BTW -- a post of yours here put me on to Wilson's WTC -- for which I owe you a big thank you.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Bulldog

Quote from: Mandryka on December 13, 2009, 05:57:20 AM
Have you had a chance to hear Pollini?

BTW -- a post of yours here put me on to Wilson's WTC -- for which I owe you a big thank you.

I made a few positive comments about the Pollini on Reply # 320 (this thread).

I'm glad you're enjoying the Wilson. 8)

SonicMan46

Don - thanks for the lists above; as stated, I do own the Jill Crossland set and am quite pleased w/ her playing; also have Bk. 1 w/ Craig Sheppard (recorded live); Bk. 2 came out last year, but I've not purchased that one - must re-listen to his first release of these works - not sure 'where' Sheppard or the 'new' Hewitt would be on your 'piano' list above (if at all?).

So, I guess that a harpsichord collection of both books would be my next search - not sure 'how many' of these may be available currently nor the pricing, but will check.  BTW, BRO has Bk. 2 w/ Scott Ross listed for $8 on a label called Disques Pelleas - Ross is often mentioned as one of the best, but don't know the opinion on his playing of the WTC?

Thanks again - Dave  :)

prémont

Exactly my ranking!!!

As to Wilson I own the old Telefunken release, but where do one find the Apex release, you write about?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on December 13, 2009, 07:59:41 AM
Exactly my ranking!!!

As to Wilson I own the old Telefunken release, but where do one find the Apex release, you write about?

premont,

I have collected pretty much 90% of the same list over the years.  I just have Christiane Jaccottet instead of Glen Wilson.  I found the late Christiane Jaccottet a terrific harpsichordist.

SonicMan46

Exactly my ranking!!!

Premont - I also meant to ask Don if his lists were in a 'best to least best' order or just the 'tops' placed randomly - so I'd be interested in any comments regarding that question?

Don directed me to another Bach set on Apex, i.e. Alan Curtis doing the French & English Suites; eventually found the 3 discs, and at a good price - must start searching for the WTC offerings (may be a mixing of several performers?) - thanks - Dave  :)

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on December 13, 2009, 08:06:38 AM
premont,

I found the late Christiane Jaccottet a terrific harpsichordist.

Agree, but exactly her WTC is IMO the weakest point of her Bach set, - I would rank this at the level of, say Verlet. Another one I would rank equally high is Davit Moroney. Mark you, we are talking about the top rank recordings, and the difference in "score" between Wilson and Jacccttet here is not that large.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on December 13, 2009, 08:23:37 AM
Agree, but exactly her WTC is IMO the weakest point of her Bach set, - I would rank this at the level of, say Verlet. Another one I would rank equally high is Davit Moroney. Mark you, we are talking about the top rank recordings, and the difference in "score" between Wilson and Jacccttet here is not that large.

Absolutely.  When it comes to baroque instrumental music, it is usually easy for two different people to make the same call when the performance is bad.  However, it is not so easy to rank two virtuosi.  I am happy with my Jaccottet's recordings and not willing to shell out a somewhat ridiculous amount of money just to get Wilson's recordings.  The money could be better spent elsewhere,  Davit Moroney is an excellent harpsichordist, as I just bought this set about a month ago ...

Bulldog

Exactly my ranking!!!

The Wilson is listed on Arkiv Music as on Teldec - almost $50 for both sets.  Price is steep, but the performances well worth it.

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on December 13, 2009, 07:51:08 AM
Don - thanks for the lists above; as stated, I do own the Jill Crossland set and am quite pleased w/ her playing; also have Bk. 1 w/ Craig Sheppard (recorded live); Bk. 2 came out last year, but I've not purchased that one - must re-listen to his first release of these works - not sure 'where' Sheppard or the 'new' Hewitt would be on your 'piano' list above (if at all?).

So, I guess that a harpsichord collection of both books would be my next search - not sure 'how many' of these may be available currently nor the pricing, but will check.  BTW, BRO has Bk. 2 w/ Scott Ross listed for $8 on a label called Disques Pelleas - Ross is often mentioned as one of the best, but don't know the opinion on his playing of the WTC?

Thanks again - Dave  :)

I haven't listened enough to the Sheppard or new Hewitt WTC to give what I would call a conclusion about their sets.  As for Ross, go for it - a great Bk. 2 that I've loved for about 3 years now.

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on December 13, 2009, 08:09:43 AM
Premont - I also meant to ask Don if his lists were in a 'best to least best' order or just the 'tops' placed randomly - so I'd be interested in any comments regarding that question?

It's "best to least best" but the distance between them is pretty slim.

Bulldog

Another WTC I forgot about comes from Andrei Vieru on Alpha.  Very interesting performances chock full of agogic pauses, staggering of musical lines and rhythmic hesitations.

A while back I did a review of his Bk. 1 and the Bk. 1 from Beausejour on Naxos for Classical Net.  No contest - Beausejour is so mainstream and rather boring.

DarkAngel

Quote from: George on December 08, 2009, 04:58:40 AM
Try Feinberg.  8)
http://www.russiandvd.com/store/product.asp?sku=35887&genreid=

Click on "Preview" to sample, I think it plays the whole first CD.

George this is a real winner..........
Never heard of Samuel Feinberg before and extremely small number of recordings available, the 1958-1961 sound is no problem at all for me, very quiet background in latest remaster.

When listening to different WTCs there is a varying degree of analytical rigor that can border on rigidity with some, the best have a natural flow overcomes this...............the Fienberg is perhaps the most expressive free flowing WTC I think I have heard for piano, traditionialists will be put off by the freedom of expression and say he is bending the dogmatic "Bach rules" of playing but I find it fresh and exciting. Just wanted to let you know my initial thoughts

I will keep listening over next few days, any more overlooked gems you are holding back from us?  :)

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 14, 2009, 07:22:05 PM
George this is a real winner..........
Never heard of Samuel Feinberg before and extremely small number of recordings available, the 1958-1961 sound is no problem at all for me, very quiet background in latest remaster.

Glad you like it, I suggest grabbing a copy before it's OOP.

QuoteWhen listening to different WTCs there is a varying degree of analytical rigor that can border on rigidity with some, the best have a natural flow overcomes this...............the Fienberg is perhaps the most expressive free flowing WTC I think I have heard for piano, traditionialists will be put off by the freedom of expression and say he is bending the dogmatic "Bach rules" of playing but I find it fresh and exciting. Just wanted to let you know my initial thoughts

Yes, his is a very beautiful, poetic Bach.

I will keep listening over next few days, any more overlooked gems you are holding back from us?  :)

;D

DarkAngel

Quote from: George on December 14, 2009, 07:34:59 PM
Glad you like it, I suggest grabbing a copy before it's OOP.

Yes, his is a very beautiful, poetic Bach.

I already received my CD version, fast shipping by Russian DVD  :)

I will be comparing the Feinberg to the Gould/Sony since I feel Feinberg is nearly as daring in style as Gould yet able to present a more balanced naturally flowing sound......sucessfully walks the line between genius & disaster

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 14, 2009, 07:40:12 PM
I already received my CD version, fast shipping by Russian DVD  :)

Wow, very quick indeed!