Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

Have been enjoying the Kirkpatrick/Archiv WTC set on clavicord from 1960s, the unique sound quality had me doing some basic research to see exactly how clavicord produces sound. Clavicord uses metal wires that are struck from above and sound can vary by amount of force used to strike key and length of time key is depressed, thereby giving it some expressive features missing from harpsicord play. The volume level is low however making it primarily a solo use instrument (or small intimate chamber group).

Has a delicate intricate sound that can reveal many musical harmonies, I liked it more than I thought I would, but only as a supplement to piano & harpsicord. The lack of volume projection can be offset with close miking for solo work, but still sounds a bit anemic overall compared to piano & harpsicord, dramatic contrasts are minimized

Anyone else like these or have any other clavicord versions to recommend?

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 16, 2009, 07:39:18 AM

Have been enjoying the Kirkpatrick/Archiv WTC set on clavicord from 1960s, the unique sound quality had me doing some basic research to see exactly how clavicord produces sound. Clavicord uses metal wires that are struck from above and sound can vary by amount of force used to strike key and length of time key is depressed, thereby giving it some expressive features missing from harpsicord play. The volume level is low however making it primarily a solo use instrument (or small intimate chamber group).

Has a delicate intricate sound that can reveal many musical harmonies, I liked it more than I thought I would, but only as a supplement to piano & harpsicord. The lack of volume projection can be offset with close miking for solo work, but still sounds a bit anemic overall compared to piano & harpsicord, dramatic contrasts are minimized

Anyone else like these or have any other clavicord versions to recommend?

I bought this CD a few months ago and still cannot make up my mind as to whether I really like this recording or not ...

DarkAngel

Hewitt
I got the new WTC set and compared it to older set. It is basically just a touch slower and more refined overall, but to be honest I will keep the original set and sell new one. Nothing really to be very critical about, great sound and elegant refined performances.....the critics will love it to death and good safe recommendation. Hewitt said in notes she has a freer style from exposure to french baroque like Couperin, and has gained experience form many years of live WTC performances.......still I find the first set more interesting which I suspect will be a minority view

DarkAngel

Two recently acquired WTC piano versions have hit the spot with me:

Samuel Feinberg WTC I, II - mentioned by George, available at Russian DVD in very good remaster form 1958-1961
Horszowski WTC I, very cheap on Vanguard Classics label 1978

DarkAngel

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread Watchorn WTC I set which is unique because of pedal harpsicord used, gives extended dynamic range with greater lower octaves......has a warmer overall sound as a result with opportunity for enhanced dramatic impact, samples sound good order has been placed:

DarkAngel

Watchorn also unique in instrument tuning system used as outlined on this website:
http://www.larips.com/

Seems the decorative scrolling on WTC title page is thought to actually be a guide for tuning instrument.....
What do members think of this theory?

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 19, 2009, 06:42:52 AM

Samuel Feinberg WTC I, II - mentioned by George, available at Russian DVD in very good remaster form 1958-1961

Glad you are enjoying the former. I should get the latter at some point, as I don't own anything by that pianist and his name keeps coming up. .

SonicMan46

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 19, 2009, 06:51:45 AM
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread Watchorn WTC I set which is unique because of pedal harpsicord used, gives extended dynamic range with greater lower octaves......has a warmer overall sound as a result with opportunity for enhanced dramatic impact, samples sound good order has been placed:

DA - if not already done, checkout the posts on Watchorn & the pedal harpsichord in the 'old musical instruments' thread - I've had his first set of the WTC for a while; and I've had his WTC II (on 3 discs) on order for a while but production has been delayed - received an e-mail from Watchorn the other day that the set should be in the mail any time, so if you like him playing these works on the pedal harpsichord, then maybe another addition to your 'wish list'?  Dave  :D

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 19, 2009, 06:42:52 AM

DA.  When it comes to solo piano music, be it Bach or Chopin, George is the go-to guy, period.  I don't bother with anyone else on this forum ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on December 19, 2009, 08:47:46 AM
... it comes to solo piano music, be it Bach ...

... perfect, if Bach had composed solo piano music...

DarkAngel

DA.  When it comes to solo piano music, be it Bach or Chopin, George is the go-to guy, period.  I don't bother with anyone else on this forum ...

Indeed............he is one to keep an eye on  ;)

But there is an amazing amount amount of extremely useful info at this forum from many members that you won't find anywhere else, so I just take it all in and discover many new things in the process, exchange ideas etc

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 19, 2009, 09:28:47 AM
... perfect, if Bach had composed solo piano music...

I do not believe Bach WTC, Goldberg Variations or the Italian Concerto were performed on four hands?  Have I missed something?

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 19, 2009, 09:40:43 AM
Indeed............he is one to keep an eye on  ;)

But there is an amazing amount amount of extremely useful info at this forum from many members that you won't find anywhere else, so I just take it all in and discover many new things in the process, exchange ideas etc

The bottomline is, I arrived at 95% of all my WTC's which are on so called the expert's recommended list based on my own research, not through anyone from the forum, save the Richter's version recommended by George.  You probably could have done the same ...

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 19, 2009, 09:40:43 AM

*pounds fist on the table*

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on December 19, 2009, 09:50:31 AM
I do not believe Bach WTC, Goldberg Variations or the Italian Concerto were performed on four hands?  Have I missed something?

Evidently.  The key word here is "piano", not "solo".

DarkAngel

Tureck/DG
I will have to come back and try this set again after sometime has passed, at first listen it is not the style I usually like but many people here seem to be enchanted by its magic so I will see if I can get a new perspective on it.

A few more versions on the way, but Xmas has slowed down delivery times:
-Watchorn WTC I
-Suzuki WTC II
-Hantai WTC I

DarkAngel

Quote from: SonicMan on December 19, 2009, 07:23:49 AM
DA I've had his first set of the WTC for a while; and I've had his WTC II (on 3 discs) on order for a while but production has been delayed

Wonder why Watchorn WTC II is stretched out to 3 Cds.......is there some bonus material included?
Only other WTC II that requires 3 CDs I have seen is the Tureck/BBC Legends

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 19, 2009, 04:48:11 PM
Wonder why Watchorn WTC II is stretched out to 3 Cds.......is there some bonus material included?

No bonus material; it's a matter of tempos.

Bulldog

That's a rather insulting and/or misinformed statement.  To begin with, there is a major distinction to be made between piano music and baroque keyboard music.  George is certainly one of our resident experts on piano music; I pay much attention to his recommendations and frequent insights.  However, for Bach and other baroque keyboard music, members such as Antoine, Que and Premont have much to offer.  I'm sure I've left out some other experts and apologize in advance.

Of course, Coopmv also has expertise - finding the cheapest source for recordings.

SonicMan46

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 19, 2009, 04:48:11 PM

DA - Antoine contacted Watchorn a couple of months ago and quoted his response a while back HERE - scroll to response #335 for his reply -  :D