Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

Quote from: Coopmv on March 06, 2010, 06:32:05 AM
The Naxos Historical version should have better SQ.  I found my sets to have excellent piano tone.

BTW, is the e-tailer Russian DVD you recommended located in NY?

Russian DVD ships from NY but I don't know if they have retail sales......or only website orders
Give them a call.....

RussianDVD.com,
269 Brighton Beach Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11235

Tel: (718) 934-5048
Tel: 1-800-901-5543 (orders only)

Bulldog

Quote from: George on March 06, 2010, 06:46:28 AM
Thanks. I haven't heard any of his work. I also recall hearing not so favorable things about the Naxos, but I forget where.

Dark Angel - more info here.

ClassicsToday blasted the Naxos for over-filtering the sound, considering the EMI transfers more natural.  Interesting since you have the opposite conclusions.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on March 06, 2010, 07:03:40 AM
ClassicsToday blasted the Naxos for over-filtering the sound, considering the EMI transfers more natural.  Interesting since you have the opposite conclusions.

I have the EMI set, to which I have listened to precious little, although the audio seemed as good as could be expected, given the recording date.

George

Quote from: Bulldog on March 06, 2010, 07:03:40 AM

Not in this case. I haven't even heard the Naxos. Where did you read otherwise?  ???

Bulldog

Quote from: George on March 06, 2010, 11:20:26 AM
Not in this case. I haven't even heard the Naxos. Where did you read otherwise?  ???

Sorry - my mistake.

I've been listening to the Egarr Bk. 1 the past couple of weeks while driving.  It keeps growing on me, although I still don't find it outstanding.  However, it's a big improvement over his Goldbergs - more variety of expression, a good deal of rhythmic hesitation, and I don't think he's using those seagull quills.

DarkAngel

Quote from: George on March 06, 2010, 06:40:26 AM
I am not sure who did the Naxos. Coop?

But stay away from the EMI, as it's overfiltered and sounds like the piano is in the next room.

I notice EMI has 2000 References release and newer 2008 GROTC release.......
In the discussion thread George referenced the discussion was about the 2000 release

Maybe sound has been remastered again for 2008 release with better results?

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on March 06, 2010, 12:39:45 PM

In the discussion thread George referenced the discussion was about the 2000 release

Could be. Have you sampled it over at amazon or itunes?

George

No way, Jose. Sounds overfiltered to me.

Keep in mind the Pearl is very noisy, so if that will bother, the EMI might be the way to go. But to me, it sounds like Mr. Fischer is playing in a room down the hall.  :-\

Que

Quote from: DarkAngel on March 06, 2010, 06:28:01 AM
I think I will break down and buy a Edwin Fischer set for historical reference, he does have a very dynamic style I like.....Anyone have a preference for 3CD EMI vs 4CD Naxos versions?

Quote from: DarkAngel on March 06, 2010, 12:39:45 PM

I have heard the Naxos Historical transfers - and they are considerably below the general standard in that series. I also heard the EMI  Références series - and that's much worse, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. If the GROC issue has a new transfer that could be better. I have the recordings on Pearl - significantly  better than either EMI Références or Naxos.

I frankly doubt if the two EMI transfers are different  - both issues have the "ART" sign on the cover, which usually produces excellent results BTW. As for alternatives, Pristine Classical had a go - can't comment on the results.

Q

George

Quote from: Que on March 06, 2010, 12:57:55 PM
I have heard the Naxos Historical transfers - and they are considerably below the general standard in that series. I also heard the EMI Références series - and that's much worse, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. If the GROC issue has a new transfer that could be better.

Unfortunately no, check the samples in the link above.

QuoteI frankly doubt if the two EMI transfers are different  - both issues have the "ART" sign on the cover, which usually produce excellent results BTW. As for alternativeves, Pristine Classical had a go - can't comment on the results.

Q

I heard a sample of Pristine's. Like most of their stuff that I have sampled, it sounded very processed.  :-\

It's a damn shame that these performances haven't been served well and the best of the bunch (Pearl) is OOP.

Bunny

Quote from: George on March 06, 2010, 01:00:24 PM
Unfortunately no, check the samples in the link above.

I heard a sample of Pristine's. Like most of their stuff that I have sampled, it sounded very processed.  :-\

It's a damn shame that these performances haven't been served well and the best of the bunch (Pearl) is OOP.

According to the Pearl website (Pavillion Records) none of their titles are oop, but can be ordered directly from them.  It's hard going through the online catalog, but it can be done.  After you get the catalog number, you print out their order form and send it to them. 

Coopmv

Quote from: Bunny on March 06, 2010, 01:41:59 PM
According to the Pearl website (Pavillion Records) none of their titles are oop, but can be ordered directly from them.  It's hard going through the online catalog, but it can be done.  After you get the catalog number, you print out their order form and send it to them.

Are these CDR's ready to be burned when the order arrives?

Bulldog

Quote from: Que on March 06, 2010, 12:57:55 PM

I have heard the Naxos Historical transfers - and they are considerably below the general standard in that series. I also heard the EMI  Références series - and that's much worse, I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.
Q

Judging from the samples, the Naxos sound is much better than the EMI.  Sometimes I wonder what Jed Distler is smoking in his pipe (regarding his ClassicsToday reviews).

George

Quote from: Bunny on March 06, 2010, 01:41:59 PM

I contacted Pearl via email last year and they told me that they had a number of titles in stock and ready for order, but not all titles. It's definitely worth contacting them though. I was able to get the two Rosenthal CDs that I hadn't seen for quite some time.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on March 05, 2010, 05:49:29 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm not really satisfied.  I just did some comparison between Pollini and Woodward; Woodward is way better. ;D

I'm not kidding.  Woodward is a thinking person's version, and I know you do a lot of thinking.

Now you're just playing with me.  I listened to some samples of the Woodward.  It sounds like he is playing a Toyota piano with a stuck sustain pedal.   Anyway, off-putting enough to delay a purchase, at least.  :D

George

Quote from: Que on March 06, 2010, 02:31:26 PM
George, the 1st link is empty! And I'm very curious. :)

Q

So my plan worked!  ;D Just kiddin'  ;) - I fixed the link (see below.)

You got the 2 Pearls though, right?

George

Just found this link to yet another transfer of the Edwin Fischer WTC.

Also, this review of the Naxos WTC underlines some of the points made in this thread.

George

Quote from: George on March 06, 2010, 02:37:10 PM
Just found this link to yet another transfer of the Edwin Fischer WTC.

I believe it's on the Membran label. The link says DG, but that's obviously wrong.

Que

Quote from: George on March 06, 2010, 02:48:35 PM
I believe it's on the Membran label. The link says DG, but that's obviously wrong.

Just checked jpc, they list it as on the (in)famous "Documents" label, which is the same company as Membran BTW. To my ears it sounds like a transfer from an early LP issue, which is legal (in Europe) after 50 years.

Q

George

Great discussion here, with Seth Winner, the man who did the transfers for Pearl, making a few comments.