Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Quote from: DarkAngel on March 09, 2010, 04:26:12 PM

Yes the box is a cube and really only needs to be 1-2" thick clamshell box.......
I notice someone is selling a used complete 153 CD set for only $2,500 used at Amazon  ::)

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-2000-Complete-Commemorative-Book/dp/B00001IV8B/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1268182769&sr=1-12

I have the "secular" cantatas from that set and the packaging is reminiscent of a counter display of chocolates.  I can't imagine what the graphics department at Teldec was thinking of when they came up with it.  Or maybe they had boxes that were designed for jewelcases, and then decided to adapt them for sleeve covered cds? In any event, I love the music (Ton Koopman and the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra) as much as I'm puzzled by the packaging.

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on March 09, 2010, 04:01:38 PM

Good news, I recently made a very good "score" on the used market....... :)

Got this 11 CD boxset that includes Alan Curtis French & English suites, Scott Ross partitas, Glen Wilson WTC I & II, plus more.......waited many months to find one. Now will someone please buy my Glen Wilson WTCs in the for sale section here

That's a fantastic boxset.  Folks who buy it will have a major treat in store for them.

Scarpia

Listened to the first four pairs from from this one:

No big interpretive risks, so far, but beautifully played, with clarity and grace.  Very pleased so far.

Bulldog

I had heard some of Koroliov's WTC performances but only recently acquired, through a friend, the entire WTC.  Although I'm not yet in a position to offer conclusive opinions, I have been bowled over by his fantastic virtuosity combined with stellar interpretations.  Most amazing to me is his decision-making as to staccato, detached and legato touch; you never know what he will do except that he'll do all of it.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if I end up placing Koroliov's sets among the very best along with Gould, Gulda, Woodward,Fellner, etc.  I'm already convinced he's superior to Hewitt, Schiff, Ashkenazy, Crochet, Pollini and most others.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Bulldog on March 10, 2010, 02:48:14 PM
I had heard some of Koroliov's WTC performances but only recently acquired, through a friend, the entire WTC.  Although I'm not yet in a position to offer conclusive opinions, I have been bowled over by his fantastic virtuosity combined with stellar interpretations.  Most amazing to me is his decision-making as to staccato, detached and legato touch; you never know what he will do except that he'll do all of it.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if I end up placing Koroliov's sets among the very best along with Gould, Gulda, Woodward,Fellner, etc.  I'm already convinced he's superior to Hewitt, Schiff, Ashkenazy, Crochet, Pollini and most others.

I remember classicstoday reviewers David Hurwitz and Jed Distler gave this 10/10 for both WTC I & II
Very expensive on import boutique label for USA buyers, that is what holds me back (friends are good to have)

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=1230

Samples at JPC:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Das-Wohltemperierte-Klavier-1/hnum/2210920

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on March 09, 2010, 03:31:10 PM
Just shows that everyone has an opinion. 8)

Yes, Don - after reading SO MANY reviews of these performances, seems like the decision is in one's own mind & ears -  ;D

And as we all know, opinions are like the 'other end' of your GI tract (my specialty BTW), i.e. everyone has one!  Dave  :)

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on March 10, 2010, 03:29:29 PM

I remember classicstoday reviewers David Hurwitz and Jed Distler gave this 10/10 for both WTC I & II
Very expensive on import boutique label for USA buyers, that is what holds me back (friends are good to have)

Yes, I consider friends among the "Big Four", the other three being family, pets and Bach.  Sometimes I even let my dog Jackson make the musical selections; I just throw a few discs on the floor and Jackson eventually picks one or two of them.  Of course, a little dab of butter on a favored/flavored disc does influence the outcome.

Bunny

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=1230

Samples at JPC:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Das-Wohltemperierte-Klavier-1/hnum/2210920

The Hänssler Bach box set that you had been considering at Berkshire has Koroliov's Goldbergs as well as his recordings of the Inventions and Sinfonia, and the French Overture and Italian concerto. 

Scarpia

I noticed an old hyperion recording of the WTC, by Colin Tilney, on Clavichord.  Out of print and no used copies evident.  Any well regarded recordings of the WTC on clavichord I should know about.  There is the Kirkpatrick on DG, but others?

George

Coincidentally, the Koroliov Book One and Two appeared over at Demonoid last night. I am listening to book one right now and it is indeed performed splendidly. Nice sound too.

Marc

Quote from: Bulldog on March 10, 2010, 04:01:56 PM
Yes, I consider friends among the "Big Four", the other three being family, pets and Bach.  Sometimes I even let my dog Jackson make the musical selections; I just throw a few discs on the floor and Jackson eventually picks one or two of them.  Of course, a little dab of butter on a favored/flavored disc does influence the outcome.
I think I like Jackson. Apparently we share some passions.

Butter, Bach and Booze .... that's all I need! :P

And a pet with a good musical taste. Like my late cat, who amazingly seemed to like Mahler. Jumped on the (warm) amplifier, with speakers to his left and right, and sitting and listening with ears pricked and eyes closed to the Auferstehung.
He wasn't all that fond of the piano though. Especially when the boss himself (yours truly) was trying to play some 2 part Invention.

I never dared to touch the WTC .... ;D

George

Bach
WTC BK 1, CD 1
Koroliov
Tacet

For those who might wish to sample Koroliov's Bach, here's links to these four works:

Prelude in C Major

Fugue in C Major

Prelude in c minor

Fugue in c minor

Player is found at the bottom left of your screen. Just click on the triangle.

Scarpia

Quote from: George on March 11, 2010, 07:27:19 PM
Bach
WTC BK 1, CD 1
Koroliov
Tacet

For those who might wish to sample Koroliov's Bach, here's links to these four works:

Prelude in C Minor

Fugue in C Minor

Prelude in C minor

Fugue in C minor

Player is found at the bottom left of your screen. Just click on the triangle.

For the first two you mean C-major, I assume.

They sound very nice.  Why is it, I wonder, that these very fine Bach recordings always seem to be on dodgy labels, out of print and/or available an exorbitant prices?

George

Quote from: Scarpia on March 14, 2010, 10:37:37 AM

They sound very nice.  Why is it, I wonder, that these very fine Bach recordings always seem to be on dodgy labels, out of print and/or available an exorbitant prices?

So that we can feel justified in downloading them for free?

(Yes, the first two are C Major, I'll fix that)

Bulldog

There's nothing "dodgy" about the Tacet label.  It's just a small German company, and we're all aware that many outstanding recordings come from labels that aren't big-time.

One can buy both Books directly from Tacet at less than exorbitant prices.

DarkAngel

Bulldog (or anyone else) do I dare ask how you feel about Anthony Newman's WTC I?

He has a 3CD set that is done in both piano and harpsicord versions, Newman prefers the harpsicord for Bach since he almost always wants to use instruments available to the original composer, he does mention in notes that piano versions outsell harpsicord versions by a large margin and some very good classic piano versions by Fischer, Gould and others have given rise to public preference.

Newman uses a scored marked up by Karl Czerny (student and friend of Beethoven) that represents his best recollection of how Beethoven performed these pieces, has extreme tempo variations both fast and slow from standard practice today.......some are indeed very fast!

Holden

I have three recordings of Bach's music by Koroliov and all are excellent which leads me to think that he must be one of the top exponents of JSB keyboard works if not the absolute #1. If you haven't already, see if you can sample these.

Cheers

Holden

SonicMan46

Well, I believe that I acquired a harpsichord version of these works that will please me for a long time!  :D

I was extremely fortunate to obtain the Glen Wilson double-discs sets shown below (each packaged nicely as 2-CDs in single-sized jewel boxes - love it!) from one of our illustrious members who is also an 'Amazon Marketplace' retailer - he gave me a great deal (won't mention who since he likely wants to be anonymous) - thanks!  Dave  :D

Scarpia

Quote from: Holden on March 14, 2010, 02:16:06 PM
I have three recordings of Bach's music by Koroliov and all are excellent which leads me to think that he must be one of the top exponents of JSB keyboard works if not the absolute #1. If you haven't already, see if you can sample these.

I have sampled some of those and found them very good.  If only his WTC were available in the US, or even from overseas at a sane price.

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on March 14, 2010, 01:47:06 PM

Bulldog (or anyone else) do I dare ask how you feel about Anthony Newman's WTC I?

Sorry, never heard it.