Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Bulldog on April 12, 2010, 09:55:18 AM
Just two comments.  Although I was impressed with the Belder samples, I'm also aware that clips are not worthy alternatives to listening to an entire work on the audio equipment one loves.  Second, a disc can sound quite good in isoloation but less engrossing when immediately compared to a different version.

I am aware of that as well - the taste of the pudding is in the eating. So, I'll be interested what you'll make of it - in Bach's harpsichord music our tastes do seem (occasionally  ;)) to align!  :)

Q

Clever Hans

Quote from: Verena on April 11, 2010, 07:54:24 AM
Also VERY promising, IMO: Zhu Xiao-Mei's upcoming WTC I, her WTC II has already been released:
http://www.mirare.fr/DisquesMirare/Zhu-Clavier-Livre1.html
Zhu Xiao-Mei is not very well-known, but there are quite a few people who consider her Bach Partitas to be among the very best, and possible THE best complete recording of these works on the piano - myself included.

+1

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on April 11, 2010, 10:00:10 PM

On Brilliant, they do original releases as well. Belder's recently started Soler series might interest you.

David - agree w/ Q w/ the above; I bought into Belder's Soler recordings (2 vols. w/ 4 discs) - thoroughly enjoyed the experience - his playing was excellent and the harpsichords used pleasant to my ears.  Now I also own Belder's Vol. 1 (3 discs) of the Scarlatti works  but have not played that set in a while, so don't want to commit myself, although I'd love to obtain Scott Ross (at the right price!) - Dave  :D

Que

Quote from: SonicMan on April 12, 2010, 02:33:32 PM
David - agree w/ Q w/ the above; I bought into Belder's Soler recordings (2 vols. w/ 4 discs) - thoroughly enjoyed the experience - his playing was excellent and the harpsichords used pleasant to my ears.  Now I also own Belder's Vol. 1 (3 discs) of the Scarlatti works  but have not played that set in a while, so don't want to commit myself, although I'd love to obtain Scott Ross (at the right price!) - Dave  :D

I am personally not so keen on Belder's Scarlatti. Which is perhaps surprising because Scarlatti and Soler are somewhat "related" composers, but Belder has with Soler a musical chemistry that his Scarlatti lacks.

Q

Bulldog

I've been listening the last few days to the Bernard Roberts 4-disc set.  Although Roberts doesn't come close to plumbing the depths of the music, I have to say that his performances are very elegant and thoroughly enjoyable.  Best of all, the recorded sound is the best I've heard for this repertoire on piano.

I should point out that Roberts is a different pianist in live recitals where he reveals an adventurous penchant not found in his Bach/Nimbus recordings.

George

Quote from: Bulldog on April 16, 2010, 08:58:55 AM
I've been listening the last few days to the Bernard Roberts 4-disc set.  Although Roberts doesn't come close to plumbing the depths of the music, I have to say that his performances are very elegant and thoroughly enjoyable.  Best of all, the recorded sound is the best I've heard for this repertoire on piano.

I should point out that Roberts is a different pianist in live recitals where he reveals an adventurous penchant not found in his Bach/Nimbus recordings.

Thanks, Don.

A quick aside - I would advise against Roberts's Beethoven, in case you haven't already bought it. The cheap price makes it attractive, but many, many better cycles can be had.

Bulldog

Quote from: George on April 16, 2010, 01:23:52 PM
Thanks, Don.

A quick aside - I would advise against Roberts's Beethoven, in case you haven't already bought it. The cheap price makes it attractive, but many, many better cycles can be had.

I bought a few of the Roberts/Beethoven discs quite a few years ago, and I agree that the performances are not among the top echelon.  However, they were my first Beethoven solo piano acquisitions so I have a little warm spot for Roberts.

Bulldog

My copy of the Belder set arrived a couple of days ago; I've listened to both Books one time.  Although early in the evaluation process, I am very pleased with the performances.  I had read that the harpsichord used in Bk. 1 was inferior to the one in Bk. 2.  Although the latter was much richer in sound, I didn't have any problem with Bk. 1; rather thin but tangy (raising the bass is a good idea).

As for the performances themselves, Belder doesn't engage much in rhythmic hesitations, staggering of musical lines or other agogic expressions.  Also, he does not dig deeply into Bach's dark side.  However, I love his rhythmic patterns, his frequent use of different registrations in the repeats, and what I hear as a deep-seated joy and exuberance.  Revealing the detail of Bach's counterpoint isn't a big priority for Belder, but his "washes of sound" are exhilarating.

Considering the low cost, acquiring the set is a "no-brainer".  Belder costs much less than Jando or Beausejour on Naxos while easily beating them in quality. 8)

Bulldog

A complete WTC I wasn't aware of comes from pianist Gianluca Luisi on the Centaur label.  The performances are slowish and often understated, without much of a trace of depth or maturity.  Probably best to take a pass.

Scarpia

Acquired this one, which is no small feat.

I have wanted it because it is one of the few sets that used clavichord (on part I).  It is out of print, for a long while there was one used copy on amazon for 100 bucks.  Then another popped in the $20 range, which I snapped up.  Now there are none again.  Well, I'll see if it was worth the trouble.

Bulldog

Quote from: Scarpia on May 12, 2010, 02:55:11 PM

I have wanted it because it is one of the few sets that used clavichord (on part I).  It is out of print, for a long while there was one used copy on amazon for 100 bucks.  Then another popped in the $20 range, which I snapped up.  Now there are none again.  Well, I'll see if it was worth the trouble.

It is rather sad that Hyperion dumped this set; I suppose that has something to do with Hewitt's piano sets.

Anyways, you do get that variety of instrumentation between Bks. 1 and 2.  My sole complaint is that Tilney sometimes comes across as superficial, but the $20 price tag makes the set worth owning.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on May 12, 2010, 03:03:28 PM
It is rather sad that Hyperion dumped this set; I suppose that has something to do with Hewitt's piano sets.

Anyways, you do get that variety of instrumentation between Bks. 1 and 2.  My sole complaint is that Tilney sometimes comes across as superficial, but the $20 price tag makes the set worth owning.

I suspect the reason for the premature deletion is simply poor sales.  In any case, my litmus test for the WTC is Bk I, Fugue in c-minor.  It is wonderful in this set.  I was hoping they would re-release it in their helios line, but for a bit over $20, why wait?

Bulldog

Quote from: Scarpia on May 12, 2010, 03:28:52 PM
I suspect the reason for the premature deletion is simply poor sales.  In any case, my litmus test for the WTC is Bk I, Fugue in c-minor.  It is wonderful in this set. 

With 96 fantastic pieces of music, I wouldn't have any idea which one to use as a litmus test.  You are a most interesting person.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on May 12, 2010, 03:41:40 PM
With 96 fantastic pieces of music, I wouldn't have any idea which one to use as a litmus test.  You are a most interesting person.

Listening to 96 samples is hopeless, and I just like that fugue.

Holden

Having just acquired this

I am in awe of these performances, especially Book I.  I also have the Feinberg and his Book II is a rival for the Richter but certainly doesn't surpass it.

Both pianists adopt a somewhat 'romantic' approach to the music but it is in no way facile. The Richter Moscow Book I also came into my possession recently and it confirms for me that Richter is one of the greatest Bach performers.
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Holden on May 13, 2010, 02:08:31 AM
Both pianists adopt a somewhat 'romantic' approach to the music but it is in no way facile. The Richter Moscow Book I also came into my possession recently and it confirms for me that Richter is one of the greatest Bach performers.

I love the Feinberg too, Holden. The Moscow performance you mention is the one on the Russian Revelation label, correct? I was lucky enough to come across that one late last year and hadn't check it out yet. It is playing now.  8)

DarkAngel

Quote from: Holden on May 13, 2010, 02:08:31 AM
Having just acquired this

I am in awe of these performances, especially Book I.  I also have the Feinberg and his Book II is a rival for the Richter but certainly doesn't surpass it.

I love Feinberg's WTC  but am not a big fan of Richter's WTC and don't really find them very similar. In the slower and mid tempo sections Feinberg has more clarity and forward momentum, more distinct melodic long line, Richter is slower amd more diffuse....a sort of meandering about feel for me. I get a more cohesive impression from Feinberg compared to Richter

sTisTi

Quote from: Scarpia on May 12, 2010, 02:55:11 PM

For anyone interested, it is also available as a lossless download (FLAC format) directly from the Hyperion website for 23.99 GBP... :)

Holden

Quote from: DarkAngel on May 13, 2010, 06:28:25 AM

I love Feinberg's WTC  but am not a big fan of Richter's WTC and don't really find them very similar. In the slower and mid tempo sections Feinberg has more clarity and forward momentum, more distinct melodic long line, Richter is slower amd more diffuse....a sort of meandering about feel for me. I get a more cohesive impression from Feinberg compared to Richter

No, they are not similar but neither of them follow what could be considered a classic/standard approach to playing the WTC like Tureck or Gould. Both pianists are aware of how the sonorities of the piano could be used to present the music. There is no attempt to impersonate the clavier or harpsichord. Both see the possibilities of the music.

What many forget is that the indications of the composer regarding tempo and expression are indistinct and a wide range of interpretations are possible. The music making of Feinberg and Richter appeals to me and in the long run this is all that matters.
Cheers

Holden

prémont

Quote from: Holden on May 14, 2010, 01:57:56 AM
...what could be considered a classic/standard approach to playing the WTC like Tureck or Gould.

I do not really understand the meaning of "a classic/standard approach" to playing the WTC on piano. And even if I did, I would consider Tureck and Gould to be so far away from that standard as might be possible. Didn´t they both set their own standard (good or bad - if you want)? Standard approach -  well, I rather think of Jando.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν