Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulSC

Quote from: Bulldog on December 26, 2010, 10:51:35 PM
Beats me.  The cover image of Tureck is circa 1990; that would make this recording much more recent than both the DGG and BBC.  Then again, the image could have no tie-in to the recording date.

Why don't you buy it and let us know what's going on?
According to the product description, the New Style was "recorded in 1952-53." IIRC that's the same period when the DG was recorded, so I suspect they're the same performances. I own neither and can't comment on sound quality -- wouldn't it be nice if te New Style release were an improvement in that respect?

czgirb

Quote from: Bulldog on December 26, 2010, 10:51:35 PM
Beats me.  The cover image of Tureck is circa 1990; that would make this recording much more recent than both the DGG and BBC.  Then again, the image could have no tie-in to the recording date.

Why don't you buy it and let us know what's going on?

I have it ... my sister give me! Tomorrow I will scan it and mailed it to you.
Please give your e-mail.

December 30, 2010
Sorry ... the file is to big. Please dwnload it from below URL:
http://rapidshare.com/files/439598628/Rosalyn_Tureck.rar
Sorry.

Bulldog

I've been playing Dantone's WTC II on Arts for a few days now.  Have to say it isn't as enjoyable as I remember from a year or two ago.  The sound has a hard edge to it and not much bloom.  Overall, I don't find the set in the top echelon, although it certainly will retain a space in my music library.

czgirb

WTC I owned:
* Piano version ... Schiff (Decca), Gould (Sony), Turreck (New Style)
* Harpsichord version ... Landowska (RCA) both LP & CD

What is your recommendation? Harpsichord version w/ good sound quality.
Cos Landowska's is a good in performance ... but poor in sound.

Bulldog

Quote from: czgirb on January 12, 2011, 05:30:06 PM
WTC I owned:
* Piano version ... Schiff (Decca), Gould (Sony), Turreck (New Style)
* Harpsichord version ... Landowska (RCA) both LP & CD

What is your recommendation? Harpsichord version w/ good sound quality.
Cos Landowska's is a good in performance ... but poor in sound.

Leaving availability issues aside, I'd go for Glen Wilson, Davitt Moroney, Kenneth Gilbert, or Gustav Leonhardt.  Perhaps the best in terms of both performance and sound is Peter Watchorn on Musica Omnia.

I almost forgot about Belder's complete WTC on Brilliant Classics - highly worthy and interesting performances at a very low cost.

czgirb

Did you mean:
* Glen Wilson ... which found in Teldec's Bach 2000 ???
* Davitt Moroney ... on Harmonia Mundi ???
* Kenneth Gilbert ... on Arkhiv ???
* Gustav Leonhardt ... on Deutche Harmonia Mundi ???
* Pieter-Jan Belder ... on Brilliant Classics ???
* Peter Watchorn ... on Musica Omnia ???
Please guide me ... thank you.

Que

Quote from: Bulldog on January 12, 2011, 02:01:33 PM
I've been playing Dantone's WTC II on Arts for a few days now.  Have to say it isn't as enjoyable as I remember from a year or two ago.  The sound has a hard edge to it and not much bloom.  Overall, I don't find the set in the top echelon, although it certainly will retain a space in my music library.

Interesting!  :) The Dantone sets were sofar my top choices together with Wilson. But I haven't listened to them for quite a while. Time to revisit. :)

Q

Bulldog

Quote from: czgirb on January 13, 2011, 05:22:09 PM
Did you mean:
* Glen Wilson ... which found in Teldec's Bach 2000 ???
* Davitt Moroney ... on Harmonia Mundi ???
* Kenneth Gilbert ... on Arkhiv ???
* Gustav Leonhardt ... on Deutche Harmonia Mundi ???
* Pieter-Jan Belder ... on Brilliant Classics ???
* Peter Watchorn ... on Musica Omnia ???
Please guide me ... thank you.

On target. 

czgirb

How Wilson's WTC compared to Dantone?
Please inform ...

PaulSC

dWilson/dt = (1/3)Dantone^2 - Dantone/8 +0.47

czgirb

Quote from: PaulSC on January 14, 2011, 04:44:15 PM
dWilson/dt = (1/3)Dantone^2 - Dantone/8 +0.47

Oh my God ... would you mind for doing a favor by telling me the meaning of the above statement, please?

SonicMan46

Quote from: czgirb on January 14, 2011, 06:00:32 PM
Oh my God ... would you mind for doing a favor by telling me the meaning of the above statement, please?

Czgirb - this is just a fun response from Paul, i.e. a joke - often in many of these performance comparisons, there is no clear choice if you're looking for a perfect recording - may depend on your own ears & preferences & might be influenced on your choice of instruments, e.g. harpsichord vs. fortepiano vs. piano - so often you'll need to listen to examples or even purchase several different recordings and make up your own mind -  :)

czgirb

Thank you so much SonicMan ... but please be notified ... in here, in Indonesia ... it's hard to obtained a Classic Music recordings ... so I must write to my friend, whose live in other countries for helping me to make a purchase of it.
Most WTC that I had is Piano. Harpsichord ... only Landowska (Good in Performance but Poor in Sound)
That's why I need someone to recommend one.
Thank you.

PaulSC

czgirb, apologies if it wasn't clear I was making a joke. (And thanks to SonicMan for helping to sort it out.)

I haven't heard Dantone's WTC, and I don't own the Wilson recording but had it out from the library once several years ago. Don's (Bulldog's) recent comments make it clear he prefers Wilson, and he gave you a longer list of recommendations earlier in this thread. If you have limited resources for previewing and purchasing online, you may have to just take a "leap into the unknown" -- any of the sets Don recommends are worth owning.

Two more resources:

First, there are lengthy reviews and comparisons by Don and others at http://www.bach-cantatas.com/IndexNonVocal2.htm

Second (and less important, I'm sure), here are my own favorite harpsichord versions, with a few generalizing comments.

• Kenneth Gilbert (DG/Archiv) -- classic, polished playing without mannerisms, steps out of the way and lets Bach's music take the spotlight
  • Pierre Hantaï (Mirare) -- Bk I only, an often extroverted approach, lots of vitality, often fast tempos (but doesn't feel "rushed")
  • Masaaki Suzuki (BIS) -- crisp playing, I'm particularly fond of the instrument Suzuki plays, which has a drier, more "wiry" sound than most -- a bit like a lute-harpsichord if you're familiar with the sound; I slightly prefer his Bk II to his Bk I
  • Peter Watchorn (Musica Omnia) -- played on pedal harpsichord, often with more deliberate tempos; again the beauty of the instrument is part of the attraction

[asin]B00008AD9S[/asin] [asin]B0000ALKPX[/asin]
(I've seen other packaging for the above)

[asin]B00007F8W4[/asin]

[asin]B0000016OJ[/asin] [asin]B001JYDLNO[/asin]

[asin]B000NHKD0C[/asin] [asin]B002Z7QJN8[/asin]

czgirb

I wish it was Watchorn ... as Bulldog's recommend it has the best sound ... but find NONE.

Currently, it was Glen Wilson (#108 & #109) and Ottavio Dantone on the way here ... thank you.
Regarding to the Kenneth Gilbert, since I prefer to take the LP ... it's cover is BEAUTIFUL ... so I choose to keep on hunting.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SonicMan46

Czgird - sounds like you're happy w/ your piano versions of these works; the ones that I own (and Don, a.k.a. Bulldog is always of great help in these Bach keyboard recommendations!):

HarpsichordGlen Wilson & Peter Watchorn, the latter's pedal harpsichord is wonderful to hear!

Piano: Jill Crossland & Roger Woodward - Turek is on my wish list (she is so HIGHLY rated in this forum!).

Clavichord: Jaroslav Tuma - I just love that instrument and performer!  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan on January 17, 2011, 06:19:40 AM

[Turek is on my wish list (she is so HIGHLY rated in this forum!).

Is that right? Do people really think so highly of her recorded WTC?  I have the DG one. It doesn't seem anything like as nice as  her best work -- which I would say is the Goldbergs and Partitas on Great Pianists. But maybe I have the wrong recording or maybe I'm missing something.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on January 17, 2011, 09:20:19 AM
Is that right? Do people really think so highly of her recorded WTC?  I have the DG one. It doesn't seem anything like as nice as  her best work -- which I would say is the Goldbergs and Partitas on Great Pianists. But maybe I have the wrong recording or maybe I'm missing something.

Well, maybe I'm wrong in my impression? And possibly the reason why I've not yet purchased her set?  Will be interested to see the responses of our many Bach keyboard experts here - thanks for the comments -  :D

George

Quote from: SonicMan on January 17, 2011, 01:55:29 PM
Well, maybe I'm wrong in my impression?

I don't think so. Don rates it at the top, I took his suggestion and loved it. Stuart had the same results. I know that there were others, but I forget who they were.

czgirb

Like me ... I have:
Piano: Gould (Sony), Schiff (Decca), and Tureck (NewStyle)
Harpsichord: Landowska (RCA) both LPs/CDs, Wilson (Teldec) and Dantone (Arts) ... on the way here.
And I love them both.
I confirm Wilson & Dantone, since I read Don's review and owning a same perception with him ... though not 100%.