Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier

Started by Bogey, May 06, 2007, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Ah, I figured Que would see the Batsignal in the sky. ;D

I've only heard Moroney. I enjoyed it as much as I can enjoy a harpsichord. ;)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Bogey

Quote from: George on June 26, 2011, 07:31:37 AM
Ah, I figured Que would see the Batsignal in the sky. ;D

I've only heard Moroney. I enjoyed it as much as I can enjoy a harpsichord. ;)

;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 26, 2011, 07:08:31 AM
Well, I'll be interested in hearing Don's & our other experts' updated opinions on this topic.

Sorry, I don't have any update to offer.  However, I am very interested in Bk. 1 performed by Rebecca Pechefsky on the Quill Classics label.  Has anyone heard this set?

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on June 26, 2011, 12:45:49 PM
Sorry, I don't have any update to offer.  However, I am very interested in Bk. 1 performed by Rebecca Pechefsky on the Quill Classics label.  Has anyone heard this set?

Her Bk. 1 looks attractive, but I don't know it. It's so unknown that I am not sure if even Premont has a copy.  ;D

BTW, Don: I am a bit tired of your Bachian inactivity of these last months, so c'mon!  :D

BTW 2: Another interesting and enigmatic WTC (both books, although the Bk. 2 is apparently OOP) is performed by Barbara Klinkhammer. Of course, it's painfully hard to get:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Das-Wohltemperierte-Klavier-1/hnum/7345332

I got her Bk. 1 from Germany, but it will probably be here in one month or even more (via USA).

BTW 3: Have you listened to the Bk. 2 performed by Katherine Roberts Perl available on Magnatune?

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/kperl-clavier3/

:)

DavidW

I've ordered Leonhardt for Book 1, Wilson for Book 2 and also not WTC related, the Verlet philips duo of the Partitas. :)

Bulldog

Quote from: toñito on June 26, 2011, 01:05:42 PM
BTW 2: Another interesting and enigmatic WTC (both books, although the Bk. 2 is apparently OOP) is performed by Barbara Klinkhammer. Of course, it's painfully hard to get:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Das-Wohltemperierte-Klavier-1/hnum/7345332

I got her Bk. 1 from Germany, but it will probably be here in one month or even more (via USA).

BTW 3: Have you listened to the Bk. 2 performed by Katherine Roberts Perl available on Magnatune?

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/kperl-clavier3/

:)

I had never heard of the Klinkhammer sets, but the samples sound very good.  I am familiar with the Perl and find it thoroughly excellent; there are some tempos that are a little on the slow side, but that's no problem from my end.

As far as my lack of Bachian activity on the board, that's just because I wasn't using my computer at all for a few weeks.  That will be happening some over the summer as well.  Next week it's Nevada, next month Colorado and August in Boston.  Then it's back to Albuquerque which has the best weather in the U.S.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on June 26, 2011, 02:44:59 PM
As far as my lack of Bachian activity on the board, that's just because I wasn't using my computer at all for a few weeks.  That will be happening some over the summer as well.  Next week it's Nevada, next month Colorado and August in Boston.  Then it's back to Albuquerque which has the best weather in the U.S.

Glad to know you're fine, Don. I was just a bit puzzled by your scarce activity on the board these days.  :)

prémont

Quote from: toñito on June 26, 2011, 01:05:42 PM
Her Bk. 1 looks attractive, but I don't know it. It's so unknown that I am not sure if even Premont has a copy.  ;D

You are right.  I am becoming increasingly frustrated by all those recordings, which are difficult to get hold of, and also by the cost of non-EU purchases (lots of tax and custom fee added). And downloading and mp3 is generally not my business .

Quote from: toñito

Well, I have listened to this a couple of times:

Bach: WTC Book I
Barbara Klinkhammer, harpsichord (recorded 2003)
Instrument by Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg 1980
agenda Verlag, Edition Gregorius

A somewhat understated interpretation IMO lacking sufficient characterisation of the affects in the individual P & F´s giving a rather monochrome impression when listening to more P & F´s. Also Klinkhammer sounds like a pianist coming to the harpsichord rather soon inasmuch her playing contains some pianistic habits among which is a strange and all to short - almost Gouldian - staccato, which she (in an IMO unmusical way) uses throughout in some pieces (e.g. Prelude F-sharp major). But the most annoying thing about her playing is her inconsistent articulation. The way one (from the beginning of a piece) chooses to articulate a fugue subject or a given thematic "cell" should be maintained throughout the piece in question. But Klinkhammer articulates for no obvious reason differently and sometimes in an almost casual way, giving the impression of insufficient preparation (mental or practical -  or both).  I have played these pieces myself (far from perfect), and I have a special interest in the articulation of Bachs works, so maybe I am more sensible to this problem than the average listener, but all in all Klinkhammer´s recording is painfully incompetitive in this crowded field. Her Schütze harpsichord does not sound really period but rather like a mixture of a Mietke copy and a non-period small generic Neupert from the 1960es. The recorded sound is reasonably present and miking is not too close. Book II is in bachorder, but if it turns out to be unavailable, I can live with that.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 26, 2011, 07:08:31 AM
1 on clavichord, the latter shown below and a fun listen

As I think Tuma´s playing is a rather serious matter, I am a bit puzzled by you use of the words "fun listen".
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: toñito on June 26, 2011, 07:11:06 AM
If it's considered some degree of unanimity as an important factor: Glen Wilson and Gustav Leonhardt.

No unanimity on my part.

If we consider recent recordings, I would say Watchorn (Premont doesn't agree on this recommendation.... )

Only as regards book I.
Book II is another matter.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 28, 2011, 05:44:15 AM
As I think Tuma´s playing is a rather serious matter, I am a bit puzzled by you use of the words "fun listen".

Well, only in the context of not being on piano or harpsichord -  ;) 8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 28, 2011, 05:37:10 AM
You are right.  I am becoming increasingly frustrated by all those recordings, which are difficult to get hold of, and also by the cost of non-EU purchases (lots of tax and custom fee added). And downloading and mp3 is generally not my business.

That's an usual feeling in the modern world, especially if you're a completist. I mean two decades ago, I imagine you would have killed to get all the oppotunities that you have today in order to purchase discs in different parts of the worlds and from different sellers, large and small. But now we want everything immediately, with inmediacy and velocity of Internet...

Taxes are another animal, not psycological, but political. 

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 28, 2011, 05:37:10 AM
Well, I have listened to this a couple of times:

Bach: WTC Book I
Barbara Klinkhammer, harpsichord (recorded 2003)
Instrument by Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg 1980
agenda Verlag, Edition Gregorius

It's a shame; the samples on JPC sounded promising. I ordered the volume two, so I will form my own opinion in the next weeks o months.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 28, 2011, 05:50:06 AM
No unanimity on my part.

Well, I was talking about a statistic fact: these two sets are usually well considered and even highly praised. Anyway, do you consider these sets should be avoided? Because the question was about a "first (or second) set" to replace Berben.

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 28, 2011, 05:50:06 AM
Only as regards book I.
Book II is another matter.

I thought you hadn't purchased the Bk. 2 because of your unfavorable opinion of his Bk. 1.

prémont

Quote from: toñito on June 28, 2011, 04:51:39 PM
That's an usual feeling in the modern world, especially if you're a completist. I mean two decades ago, I imagine you would have killed to get all the oppotunities that you have today in order to purchase discs in different parts of the worlds and from different sellers, large and small. But now we want everything immediately, with inmediacy and velocity of Internet...

Yes, as the options increase in number, we feel prompted to make use of them. A natural reaction, I think.

It's a shame; the samples on JPC sounded promising. I ordered the volume two, so I will form my own opinion in the next weeks o months.

This also shows the danger of blind completism. One sometimes purchases discs which one in retrospective never would dream of purchasing. Every time this happens I become a tad more cautious.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: toñito on June 28, 2011, 05:04:53 PM
Well, I was talking about a statistic fact: these two sets are usually well considered and even highly praised. Anyway, do you consider these sets should be avoided? Because the question was about a "first (or second) set" to replace Berben.

No, I do not think Watchorn´s book I should be avoided - and certainly not by a completist. But it is too leaden and special to deserve the rank of a first choice. From the top of my head I think I prefer about 20 of the recordings of book I, I own, to Watchorn´s, among which are even Ahlgrimm´s. Book II is another matter. It stands his approach much better, the music being more "weighty" in its scope and texture.

I thought you hadn't purchased the Bk. 2 because of your unfavorable opinion of his Bk. 1.

Well, like you I own a number of exellent CDs from Watchorns hands (and now feet), so the completist in me ordered Book II. And I intend to order the rest of his Bach cycle too,  I look very much forward f.x. to his AoF and Partitas.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Your replies are crystal clear, Premont, but this question was about Wilson and Leonhardt:

prémont

Quote from: toñito on June 29, 2011, 03:24:48 AM
Your replies are crystal clear, Premont, but this question was about Wilson and Leonhardt:

Sorry I got you wrong, because I did not read the former posts before answering, and perhaps also because I did not in my wildest fantasies suppose, that you meant to ask me if I think Wilson and Leonhardt should be avoided.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 29, 2011, 04:40:31 AM
Sorry I got you wrong, because I did not read the former posts before answering, and perhaps also because I did not in my wildest fantasies suppose, that you meant to ask me if I think Wilson and Leonhardt should be avoided.

Yes, it was exactly my reaction when I did read: "No unanimity on my part" on your Reply #893.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 28, 2011, 11:48:23 PM
No, I do not think Watchorn´s book I should be avoided - and certainly not by a completist. But it is too leaden and special to deserve the rank of a first choice...

BTW, I emphatically disagree about this, but I prefer to listen to again this Bk. 1 before posting any more detailed comment. I have not listened to Watchorn's WTC for some months, but I recall his Bk. 1 as deeply musical, with a wide range of affetti superbly expressed, well recorded on a beautiful instrument and with a very pleasant use of Lehman's tuning.