Ashkenazy's Rach concertos

Started by hautbois, May 06, 2007, 10:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hautbois

Did Ashkenazy ever record a 2nd cycle or separately? (Other than the cycle with LSO) Who recorded the full cycle (or at leas 2 and 3 in particular) which are well worth mentioning?

Howard

George

Quote from: hautbois on May 06, 2007, 10:53:13 PM
Did Ashkenazy ever record a 2nd cycle or separately? (Other than the cycle with LSO) Who recorded the full cycle (or at leas 2 and 3 in particular) which are well worth mentioning?

Howard

Yes, he did record a second cycle. It was with Haitink.

As far as the full cycle, I only find Rudy/Jansons to be solid enough in all 5 works to be worth mentioning. Its available on EMI and Brilliant Classics. The sound and the performance are excellent.

As for 2 and 3, my two favorite couplings for those two are Ashkenazy/Kondrashin/Fistoulari for their poetic interpretation and Janis/Dorati for their more extrovert performance.

Rabin_Fan

Howard,

2 cycles - 1 with the LCO, Previn and the other with the RCOA, Haitink. As George said, there is also the Fistoulari/Kondrashin outing. (BBC Mag could have chosen this as their top pick for No.2). For me, my fav. No 2 is by Earl Wild/Horenstein and RPO on Chesky and the No 3 is by Argerich/Chailly live on Philips.

Regards - CH