Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg

Started by rubio, May 25, 2008, 07:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 27, 2017, 09:10:21 AM
We might almost say, in hindsight, it was just the experience I have been waiting for – although I have what is likely a very fine recording of the full opera, I haven't yet sat down to listen to it . . . and an opportunity to hear the music live is almost invariably a plus, for me.
Wonderful  :) ..... but, did you like it, cher ami?

Karl Henning

Oh, yes, indeed.  So I am one step closer to giving the full opera a whirl.

Perhaps I shall treat myself, once the ballet is utterly finished  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kishnevi

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 27, 2017, 09:32:44 AM
Interesting, Jeffrey, thanks.  I don't think that angle has been the 'interference' at all . . . I've mostly been positively inclined to the work, as we played a band transcription, not of the Prelude per se, but of a medley of the best-known tunes which might serve as a "poor man's Overture," back in my school days.

Personally, I think the half hour or so which starts with the Quintet and ends with Walther's prize song is the best half hour of opera ever written.

ritter

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 27, 2017, 09:37:04 AM
Personally, I think the half hour or so which starts with the Quintet and ends with Walther's prize song is the best half hour of opera ever written.
That, I fully agree with  :)...Simply sublime, from one height to the next. Just wonderful!!! But I extend this remark through the end of the opera... ;)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Opera Australia are doing this one next year. It's one of the many productions they import from overseas which is a bit of a shame considering the success of their original Ring they did in 2016 and a few years before that

ritter

The highly praised new Bayreuth production of Die Meistersinger von  Nürnberg, directed by Barrie Kosky and conducted by Philippe Jordan will appear on DVD (Deutsche Grammophon) in July. No cover yet...

I've got tickets to see it on August 21.  :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: ritter on May 02, 2018, 12:30:15 AM
The highly praised new Bayreuth production of Die Meistersinger von  Nürnberg, directed by Barrie Kosky and conducted by Philippe Jordan will appear on DVD (Deutsche Grammophon) in July. No cover yet...

I've got tickets to see it on August 21.  :)

Looking forward to this!

JCBuckley

Same here. Kosky's production of Saul was wonderful, I thought.