Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

I don't like to quote myself, but...

Quote from: Florestan on April 29, 2007, 06:13:39 AM
Hi, all!

W. A. Mozart

Divertimento for String Trio in E flat major KV 563

Arthur Grumiaux / Georges Janzer / Eva Czako

This is one of the deepest burried gems of Mozart. What a delightful vision of paradise lost, sought for, and found again! Absolutely gorgeous music and performance!

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

springrite

I do not have K563, nor the Schoenberg.

Now I am depressed...

Haffner

Quote from: hornteacher on May 07, 2007, 06:30:03 PM
Can anyone suggest a great recording of K563?

I have the Grimiuax, and it's excellent. I agree also, the k 563 is an awe-inspiring achievement. Too bad Mozart couldn't have stuck around for 50 more years!

Don

Quote from: Robert on May 08, 2007, 01:35:37 PM
Larry,
Have you heard the Kremer/Kash/Ma ??   Not even close??? WOW  :o   I can only imagine....I wonder if Don has heard that one????

No, I haven't heard the Nonesuch.

Don

carlos

Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

Bunny

Quote from: Robert on May 08, 2007, 12:58:05 PM
No support for the Kremer/Kashkashian/Ma version on CBS.....

Actually, that was one of the first cds I ever bought!  I was looking for something for the cd player because I hadn't yet gotten a new turntable (my Pasquier is on vinyl), and wanted to preserve my LP.  When I first bought it, I played it for a cellist who was bowled over by how good it sounded.

I love that too, but it's not in the same class as the Pasquier which I prefer to even the Grumiaux recording.  I love recommending the KKM recording to newbies to classical because it's a budget selection and yet really excellent quality.  Now, I'm discovering how great this music sounds on period instruments, hence my recommendation of the L'Archibudelli recording which includes Mozart's fugues.  That recording is available at Arkivmusic.com as a licensed copy and copies of the original Sony Vivarte recording are still floating around as well, so it's easy to obtain.

jochanaan

These days, when I think "string trio" I think the Argerich/Kremer/Maisky live recording of the Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky trios... :D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Robert

Quote from: jochanaan on May 09, 2007, 01:03:07 PM
These days, when I think "string trio" I think the Argerich/Kremer/Maisky live recording of the Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky trios... :D
funny you mention that disc. I pulled it out as something I wanted to hear tonight..

Scott

Quote from: springrite on May 09, 2007, 04:17:48 AM

Now I am depressed...

No need to be depressed. Instead you have great joy to look forward to. I can still recall the first time I heard K563. I was on Cloud Nine for hours.
Without music, life would be a mistake. -- Nietzsche

not edward

Quote from: Scott on May 09, 2007, 04:13:11 PM
No need to be depressed. Instead you have great joy to look forward to. I can still recall the first time I heard K563. I was on Cloud Nine for hours.
Exactly.

I don't find all that much Mozart that pleases me, but K563 definitely does.

I really wouldn't know where to place it against my favourite post-Classical string trios (Schoenberg, Webern, Schnittke). They've just got so little in common.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

The new erato

Quote from: springrite on May 09, 2007, 04:17:48 AM

Now I am depressed...
You shouldn't be. The one depressing thought there is, is to know all the masterworks with nothing more to discover. Now you have tons of listening enjoyment in front of you.

Haffner

Quote from: Scott on May 09, 2007, 04:13:11 PM

Perfectly put, Scott! I experienced the same awe mixed with euphoria. k 563 has so many emotions expressed, throughout the course of each of its movements. It's deathbed material in my opinion.

Florestan

Quote from: Haffner on May 10, 2007, 04:32:37 AM

Perfectly put, Scott! I experienced the same awe mixed with euphoria. k 563 has so many emotions expressed, throughout the course of each of its movements. It's deathbed material in my opinion.

And all this under the galante and frivolous title Divertimento. Pure genius!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

quintett op.57

I've always tried to purchase music from various composers.
But I have a tendancy to accumulate many pieces of a same genre.
As a result, it seems that there are not more string trios in my collection than Rostropovich recordings in Harry's.
a very fine work by the way : Intermezzo for string trio by Kodaly.
It's my favourite ;)

sound67

The Trio-Serenade, op.1 (!) by Miklós Rózsa that we just recorded yesterday.

Just kidding, but it's a good piece, and and amazingly accomplished work for a composer of 22. It will be available later this year.  :)

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Scott

It just occurred to me, and I don't think anyone has mentioned it, that there is a very fine string trio arrangement of one of the greatest works in any form, Bach's Goldberg Variations. Dmitry Sitkovetsky made the arrangement as I recall and it has, I think, been recorded not only by him and friends but also by a couple of other trios.

By the way, the first time I heard the Mozart K563 (at the Aspen Festival) the players were Itzhak Perlman, Pinchas Zukerman and Ronald Leonard. Not shabby!
Without music, life would be a mistake. -- Nietzsche