Upcoming releases from Brilliant....

Started by Harry, May 28, 2008, 12:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 04, 2009, 06:08:49 AM
Brilliant Classics has just launched its own website: http://www.brilliantclassics.com/index.aspx

Q

Well it took them long enough, but the result is brilliant.

George

Thanks for the heads-up, Que!

Curious that they list the Russian Pianist box as a future release, when the date clearly says this past Wednesday! Maybe a typo?

http://www.brilliantclassics.com/coming_soon.aspx

Opus106

Didn't they have a site earlier? ???

Oh, okay, it's a new site. And, hey, they have a box set of Haydn's quartets coming up! If it turns out cheaper out than Naxos, it goes on my wish-list.

Still a few tweaks needed here and there, for the website; the Haydn box apparently has 0 CDs.
Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: opus67 on April 04, 2009, 08:22:36 AM

Still a few tweaks needed here and there, for the website; the Haydn box apparently has 0 CDs.

;D

That confirms that the set I inquired about must be a misprint as well.   

haydnguy

I wrote to Brilliant "basically" complaining because it was difficult to find their CD's on Amazon (U.S.). They wrote back and said they were surprised  :o and that I should try to ARCHiv site.  :-X

George

Quote from: BaxMan on April 11, 2009, 05:27:13 PM
I wrote to Brilliant "basically" complaining because it was difficult to find their CD's on Amazon (U.S.). They wrote back and said they were surprised  :o and that I should try to ARCHiv site.  :-X

I use MDT for Brilliant. Always a great price: http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/Category/Brilliant%20Classics/

Gurn Blanston

The problem with that (although I love the ARCHIV people) is that unless they are having a sale, they charge a lot more than anyone else does for Brilliant. Pity really... :-\

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Boccherini: Quartets - Consortium Classicum - Quartet for clarinet, flute, horn & bassoon in C major, G. 262/3 (arranged by Othon Van den Broek): No. 3, Tempo di Minuetto (trio)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Coopmv

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 11, 2009, 05:37:32 PM
The problem with that (although I love the ARCHIV people) is that unless they are having a sale, they charge a lot more than anyone else does for Brilliant. Pity really... :-\

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Boccherini: Quartets - Consortium Classicum - Quartet for clarinet, flute, horn & bassoon in C major, G. 262/3 (arranged by Othon Van den Broek): No. 3, Tempo di Minuetto (trio)

After having dropped a few hundred dollars on Arkiv a few years ago, I stopped buying from it altogether.  The reason is simple, its regular price for any label, including Brilliant, is no good.  It is the equivalent of the old Tower Records.  To add insult to injury, I have to pay both S&H and sale tax and I do not even live in PA ...

haydnguy

Well, I dunno what to say except that if they want to sell the maximum amount of CD's, they have to make them available. I'm sure it's not Amazon's fault. Brilliant doesn't even allow you to buy off their OWN website. It's the beatest thing I"VE ever seen. The good part of them is that put out good CD's.   :(

Opus106

Even I find it surprising.
http://www.amazon.com/Label-Brilliant-Classics-Albums-Music/b/ref=amb_link_1235612_3?ie=UTF8&node=359371011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-2&pf_rd_r=15F63WKBJZQ5HVZ0J98C&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470292011&pf_rd_i=85
Regards,
Navneeth

haydnguy

Quote from: opus67 on April 11, 2009, 11:01:29 PM
Even I find it surprising.
http://www.amazon.com/Label-Brilliant-Classics-Albums-Music/b/ref=amb_link_1235612_3?ie=UTF8&node=359371011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-2&pf_rd_r=15F63WKBJZQ5HVZ0J98C&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470292011&pf_rd_i=85

Trust me. I've been trying to buy Brilliant on Amazon from the list that Harry puts up, and least it of the CD's that I"VE wanted, none have been there. An example is that Haydn boxed set that Harry got awhile ago. It won't be available for another week or two. The Lasalle Quartet Schoenberg is finally showing up, but it says it's unavailable and will ship when available. If it they shipped one copy of that it would surprise me.

Opus106

Quote from: BaxMan on April 12, 2009, 12:12:38 AM
Trust me. I've been trying to buy Brilliant on Amazon from the list that Harry puts up, and least it of the CD's that I"VE wanted, none have been there. An example is that Haydn boxed set that Harry got awhile ago. It won't be available for another week or two. The Lasalle Quartet Schoenberg is finally showing up, but it says it's unavailable and will ship when available. If it they shipped one copy of that it would surprise me.

I think most of their stock is sold in Europe, with little coming to the Americas. Also, as Harry always says, they usually make a whole batch, and once they're sold, they go OOP.

Anyway, you'd be better off getting things from Europe where they are cheaper. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

haydnguy

Quote from: opus67 on April 12, 2009, 12:33:03 AM
I think most of their stock is sold in Europe, with little coming to the Americas. Also, as Harry always says, they usually make a whole batch, and once they're sold, they go OOP.

Anyway, you'd be better off getting things from Europe where they are cheaper. :)

Their cheaper, but I live in the states and shipping would eat up at the savings. It's ok, I'm getting the music either from Marketplace Seller or Berkshire when it's not available regularly at a decent price. It's just that I think their decent folks at Brilliant and I hope they can get their products over the pond quicker in the future. ;)

Novi

Quote from: BaxMan on April 12, 2009, 01:22:49 AM
Their cheaper, but I live in the states and shipping would eat up at the savings. It's ok, I'm getting the music either from Marketplace Seller or Berkshire when it's not available regularly at a decent price. It's just that I think their decent folks at Brilliant and I hope they can get their products over the pond quicker in the future. ;)

BaxMan, you don't pay VAT when ordering from the US, so the delivery charges usually balance out. Another option is jpc.de, which has a flat rate delivery charge of €12.99 to the US. They also have a huge Brilliant selection, so depending on how much you order, it may work out to be quite reasonable.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Coopmv

Quote from: Novi on April 12, 2009, 01:54:12 AM
BaxMan, you don't pay VAT when ordering from the US, so the delivery charges usually balance out. Another option is jpc.de, which has a flat rate delivery charge of €12.99 to the US. They also have a huge Brilliant selection, so depending on how much you order, it may work out to be quite reasonable.

S&H charges from US e-tailers can also add up.  The Amazon MarketPlace vendors all charge $2.98, even for a $5 CD.  I imagine that is also the rate per item, as I have never orderd more than one item at a time from any MP vendor.  I have ordered a dozen times from MDT and never paid any VAT.  I heard the shipping rate from Germany is outrageously expensive, as someone complained about how much it cost to ship the Andras Schiff's Bach big box, which is only available in Germany.

haydnguy

Well, the reason I do Amazon so much is that we (my family) buy toys, appliances, and things besides music. I'm on the Prime plan so I get two delivery for "free". Also, because points add up, I've probably gotten 10 or 12 free CD's over the last few years.

Harry

For all that are interested, I got signals from the Brilliant staff, that they seriously considering making text available either through Internet or simply by adding them to the recordings.
Meaning at least the original text with English, or English alone.

Lethevich

English alone would be unfortunate, as it would leave a lot of people missing a lot of what they are looking for. I can understand that they must cut costs, though. Providing the site is reliable and remains online on the long-term, it could be a fine idea for them to include a large archive of reliably translated printable librettos - it would make their site a valuble "go-to" for classical fans in general, and probably help their sales.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Harry

Quote from: Lethe on May 05, 2009, 04:17:31 AM
English alone would be unfortunate, as it would leave a lot of people missing a lot of what they are looking for. I can understand that they must cut costs, though. Providing the site is reliable and remains online on the long-term, it could be a fine idea for them to include a large archive of reliably translated printable librettos - it would make their site a valuble "go-to" for classical fans in general, and probably help their sales.

Chuckle, chuckle, about sales they have not to worry, they have difficulties alone printing all the issues, selling them is a easy task......... ;D