Author Topic: Adams' Apple-Cart (John Coolidge, that is!)  (Read 28410 times)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
Re: Adams' Apple-Cart (John Coolidge, that is!)
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2020, 09:47:36 AM »
I thought you liked his Janáček recording?

I'm coming around on it. I picked it up used for cheap at a record store a few months back, didn't care for either of the works on first listen, but as of the past week or so I've been revisiting it and finding more to enjoy in it, the Sinfonietta in particular. I'll have to listen to the Glagolitic Mass again soon. But in any case I give Janáček more credit than MTT for this discovery.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Aram Khachaturian (1903 - 1978)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Khachaturian, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Shchedrin, Rimsky-Korsakov, Schnittke, Glazunov, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Dvořák, Martinů, Respighi, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos
« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
I'm coming around on it. I picked it up used for cheap at a record store a few months back, didn't care for either of the works on first listen, but as of the past week or so I've been revisiting it and finding more to enjoy in it, the Sinfonietta in particular. I'll have to listen to the Glagolitic Mass again soon. But in any case I give Janáček more credit than MTT for this discovery.

But if the performances were mediocre, then who would you be blaming then --- the composer? He obviously had no involvement with it. ;) It sounds like to me you just can’t admit that you actually like one of MTT’s recordings. :) Oh and Janáček is a brilliant composer. One of my favorites.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 09:50:54 AM by Mirror Image »
"Close communion with the people is the natural soil nourishing all my work.” - Aram Khachaturian

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2020, 09:58:11 AM »
But if the performances were mediocre, then who would you be blaming then --- the composer? He obviously had no involvement with it. ;) It sounds like to me you just can’t admit that you actually like one of MTT’s recordings. :) Oh and Janáček is a brilliant composer. One of my favorites.

Fine, fine, I admit it. It's a good recording. ;D Yes, I'm happy to be coming around on Janáček, I've enjoyed much of what I've heard of his work. And I guess I owe it to myself to give more of MTT's recordings a chance.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Khachaturian, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Shchedrin, Rimsky-Korsakov, Schnittke, Glazunov, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Dvořák, Martinů, Respighi, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos
« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2020, 10:01:28 AM »
Fine, fine, I admit it. It's a good recording. ;D Yes, I'm happy to be coming around on Janáček, I've enjoyed much of what I've heard of his work. And I guess I owe it to myself to give more of MTT's recordings a chance.

Hah! :D Another composer MTT does incredibly well in is Ives.
"Close communion with the people is the natural soil nourishing all my work.” - Aram Khachaturian

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #204 on: March 11, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
Hah! :D Another composer MTT does incredibly well in is Ives.

I've got one of the MTT Ives CDs; Symphony No.3 and Orchestral Suite No.2 with the RCO. I haven't given up on it yet, but I have not been as impressed as I have been with the Bernstein Ives recordings I also have. Ives is not a composer I consider to be a favorite, but I recognize his importance and do enjoy some of his music. I'll try and give that disc a listen today or tomorrow.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2020, 10:08:38 AM »
I've got one of the MTT Ives CDs; Symphony No.3 and Orchestral Suite No.2 with the RCO. I haven't given up on it yet, but I have not been as impressed as I have been with the Bernstein Ives recordings I also have. Ives is not a composer I consider to be a favorite, but I recognize his importance and do enjoy some of his music. I'll try and give that disc a listen today or tomorrow.

Ives was one of the first composers I got into and left a huge impression on me. I can certainly understand how Ives would be difficult for some listeners.

Anyway back to Adams... (even though I’ve got nothing to say about this composer) :)

Online Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #206 on: March 13, 2020, 01:52:20 AM »
I think I'm going to get the Rattle/CBSO recording of this work. I didn't realize it was symphonic in any way, but I have not heard it all.

Anything can be symphonic in the 20th century. Harmonielehre is a substantial statement in three movements for a large symphony orchestra. Ticks all the boxes of what can broadly be termed A Symphony.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #207 on: June 05, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »
Anything can be symphonic in the 20th century. Harmonielehre is a substantial statement in three movements for a large symphony orchestra. Ticks all the boxes of what can broadly be termed A Symphony.

+1 Harmonielehre is an incredible work! I’ve also recently been struck by his “choral symphony” Harmonium, a work of thrilling, intoxicating energy:

https://youtu.be/BM0w3kukbQs
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #208 on: June 05, 2020, 01:13:00 PM »
+1 Harmonielehre is an incredible work! I’ve also recently been struck by his “choral symphony” Harmonium, a work of thrilling, intoxicating energy:

https://youtu.be/BM0w3kukbQs

Harmonium is a fantastic work, Kyle. What other Adams works do you enjoy besides Harmonium and Harmonielehre?

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #209 on: June 05, 2020, 01:50:24 PM »
Harmonium is a fantastic work, Kyle. What other Adams works do you enjoy besides Harmonium and Harmonielehre?

Well, most pieces I’ve heard by him, pretty much: The Chairman Dances, Century Rolls, Shaker Loops, Scheherazade.2, Absolute Jest, and Fellow Traveler, to name a few. I tend to be rather skeptical about contemporary composers who garner a lot of “hype” but I think in Adams’ case it’s mostly deserved, although of course there are many other contemporary composers who should get more exposure but don’t.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #210 on: June 05, 2020, 02:50:13 PM »
Well, most pieces I’ve heard by him, pretty much: The Chairman Dances, Century Rolls, Shaker Loops, Scheherazade.2, Absolute Jest, and Fellow Traveler, to name a few. I tend to be rather skeptical about contemporary composers who garner a lot of “hype” but I think in Adams’ case it’s mostly deserved, although of course there are many other contemporary composers who should get more exposure but don’t.

Very nice, Kyle. Besides Harmonium, Harmonielehre and Shaker Loops (three masterpieces, IMHO), I also love Naive & Sentimental Music, the Violin Concerto, Grand Pianola Music, The Dharma at Big Sur, My Father Knew Charles Ives, Gnarly Buttons, The Wound-Dresser and his latest work, Must the Devil Have All the Good Tunes? is quite good I must say. Ferociously difficult to perform I imagine, but this is the kind of work that rewards the listener, especially when they go back and listen to it again. I do rather like The Chairman Dances as well. I have never cared for any of his operas and I found the last time I tried to listen to Nixon in China it was a slog to get through, but, of course, I’m not really a huge opera fan to begin with.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:52:40 PM by Mirror Image »

Offline CRCulver

« Reply #211 on: June 05, 2020, 10:51:44 PM »
For me, the HD release of the Metropolitan Opera production of Nixon in China was the key to getting into that work. It is much more engaging when you can see the visuals. Especially the Madame Mao coloratura soprano part is exciting to watch.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #212 on: June 06, 2020, 08:50:05 AM »
The last work I heard of him was John's Book of Alleged Dances, for string quartet (from this recording):

Thoroughly fun. I recall being quite excited by the vitality and wit of this piece. Recommended for those who don't know it yet.

Adams may be my favorite minimalist composer.