Bruno Walter's (1876-1962) bits & bobs

Started by Scion7, October 18, 2023, 03:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Yes, he was also a composer for a time.
Born Bruno Schlesinger of Jewish heritage, he was advised to change his name after he chose a musical career because his surname was very common - he needed to 'stand out' more.
Originally a concert pianist, after hearing von Bulow he decided on becoming a conductor (and a great one.)
He was a protege of Mahler.
He composed a number of pieces before finally coming to the conclusion that he was much more suited as a conductor than a composer around 1911.  While his work is in a late Romantic mould and is typical of the time, nothing is especially distinctive instrumentally (that I have heard) except the Violin Sonata - an atmospheric work at the very least.

Orchestral
==============================

Symphonische Phantasie, 1904;
Sym. no.1, d, c1907;
Sym. no.2, E, c1910

Chamber
===================

Str Qt, c1903,
Sonata, A, vn, pf, 1908 (1910)
Piano Qnt, f#, 1905

Vocal pieces
=====================

Meeresstille und glückliche Fahrt (J.W. von Goethe), chorus, orch, 1892;
Allerseelen (H. von Gilm), A, orch, 1896;
6 songs, op.11 (c1902);
6 songs, op.12 (c1902);
6 songs (1910)
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

nice performances
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

and these ...

Symphonic Addict

His chamber music gets a thumbs up from me. I'm intrigued by his Symphony No. 2 which has never received a recording yet.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Scion7

or the Symphonic Fantasy - which, if it being shorter has a more to-the-point sound to it, would be a "plus" ... I'd take about ten minutes out of the piano quintet - it meanders a bit

relm1

I think his Symphony in D minor is a very strong work.  Nice to learn there are others so maybe they'll get released.  Interesting he stopped composing when Mahler died, I wonder if his inspiration's death made him realize he didn't have the same passion for composing as he did for conducting but with Mahler around, he saw how someone excelled in both.