Kalevi Aho(born 1949)

Started by Dundonnell, May 28, 2008, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

We have to agree to disagree here about his symphonies.  8)

Some may sound shostakovian-like, granted, but I do feel they are better than imagined. They're bleak, heavy and with a touch of personal irony. From the 5th Symphony on is even more noticed. It begins to be free from the Shostakovich influence to become more personal. And regarding especially the 10th, for me has been tremendous, shocking and with a weirdly enthralling atmosphere. The orchestration is shattering in a good way, a consummate work and one that leaves a strong impression. The Adagio is the largest and impressive. It's close to a candidate to a masterpiece IMO.

relm1

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 30, 2019, 02:26:57 PM
Oh, I'm surprised and rather disappointed that I haven't found any works of Aho's apart from those I mentioned above which I really like. Plus I have only a limited amount of funds to pour into the Swedish economy via Bis, so I think I'll give Aho a rest for the moment. Even the much-praised Symphony No. 10 didn't do anything for me  :(

Check out 12, you might like that.  If not, then yeah, you'll prefer mozart or something.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: relm1 on August 30, 2019, 04:07:28 PM
Check out 12, you might like that.  If not, then yeah, you'll prefer mozart or something.

Well I do like Mozart, but I comparing Aho to his contemporaries and near-contemporaires.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

relm1

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 31, 2019, 01:11:43 PM
Well I do like Mozart, but I comparing Aho to his contemporaries and near-contemporaires.

So then Aho isn't your thing.  What do you want, mate?  If you've gone through everything people have recommended and don't like it, move on.

calyptorhynchus

Think I what's what I just told everyone I was about to do.  ;)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

pjme

The Concerto for Trombone and Orchestra was commissioned for Jörgen van Rijen, who also performs it here. The concerto is actually Aho's second concertante piece for the trombone – his Symphony No. 9 (1994) included a substantial and very virtuosic solo part for the instrument. In that work, and even more so in the concerto, the composer's aim has been to extend the expressive and virtuosic possibilities of the trombone. Composed around the same time, the Trumpet Concerto is scored for the wind section of a medium-sized symphony orchestra, plus two saxophones, baritone horn and percussion. It was given its premiere by the same musicians that perform it here, the Antwerp Symphony Orchestra under Martyn Brabbins supporting its principal trumpet Alain De Rudder in what is often a surprisingly jazzy work. (Source = BIS)

Alain De Rudder isn't only principal in Antwerp, he  works regularly with the Radio-Sinfonie-Orchester Frankfurt, the NDR-Sinfonieorchester Hamburg,he played with the Lucerne Festival Orchestra and  I Solisti del Vento, Oxalys and Champ d'Action.
He is equally at home with the Orchestre des Champs-Elysées, Collegium Vocale Gent, Il Gardellino, B'Rock, Le Concert Lorrain and. Gli Angéli Genève.

I only heard the trumpet concerto and liked its spiky dynamism.

Symphonic Addict

I'm taken by his concertos. This man has a great imagination to compose. And the variety of concertos he has written thus far is impressive, not to count the chamber works, symphonies, etc. Aho is clearly one of my favorite living composers.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

CRCulver

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 03, 2020, 01:23:30 PM
I'm taken by his concertos. This man has a great imagination to compose. And the variety of concertos he has written thus far is impressive, not to count the chamber works, symphonies, etc. Aho is clearly one of my favorite living composers.

I like Aho's concertos of the 1970s and 1980s, but I find the concertos of the new millennium to be less inspired. In recent decades he set himself the challenge of writing a concerto for every instrument, even obscure ones, but a composer is not a factory and cannot churn out work of invariably outstanding quality simply because he wants to.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 03, 2020, 01:23:30 PM

We are certainly in agreement, Cesar. I find much to enjoy in his symphonies as well. He's also composed some song cycles that are worth exploring. I just did a recount and whenever I receive those three newer Aho recordings I ordered, I will own 21 recordings in total. All BIS, too, so it makes me wonder whether he has some kind of exclusive contract with them? I know there were some recordings on Ondine and maybe another label, but that's about it.

Mirror Image

My Aho collection:

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: CRCulver on June 03, 2020, 02:38:42 PM
I like Aho's concertos of the 1970s and 1980s, but I find the concertos of the new millennium to be less inspired. In recent decades he set himself the challenge of writing a concerto for every instrument, even obscure ones, but a composer is not a factory and cannot churn out work of invariably outstanding quality simply because he wants to.

Those concertos you mention are the most "dissonant" and "aggresive" as far as I can hear. I've heard the Flute Concerto, Tuba Concerto, Timpani Concerto, and Clarinet Concerto, which are from 2000's. I've enjoyed them very much so far.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 03, 2020, 03:58:51 PM
My Aho collection:

Superb collection, John! From those discs I've heard all the symphonies. Most of them are really good. Now we need a recording of his Symphony No. 6 and the last ones (I think he has composed 17).

Noam Chomsky

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 03, 2020, 03:58:51 PM
My Aho collection:

Not impressed.  You are missing Symphony No. 5.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 03, 2020, 04:19:01 PM
Superb collection, John! From those discs I've heard all the symphonies. Most of them are really good. Now we need a recording of his Symphony No. 6 and the last ones (I think he has composed 17).

Thanks, Cesar. Yep, the 6th, 16th and 17th haven't been recorded yet.

Quote from: relm1 on June 03, 2020, 04:25:18 PM
Not impressed.  You are missing Symphony No. 5.

I'm also missing a lot of chamber music that has been released, which I hope to remedy soon. The reason I didn't get the 5th is because I'm sticking with BIS for the Aho releases. Hopefully, they'll record the 5th, 6th and the remaining ones like the 16th and 17th.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 03, 2020, 04:15:16 PM
Those concertos you mention are the most "dissonant" and "aggresive" as far as I can hear. I've heard the Flute Concerto, Tuba Concerto, Timpani Concerto, and Clarinet Concerto, which are from 2000's. They're not as I've enjoyed them very much so far.

I agree. The later concerti are quite inspired and the writing is some of the best he's done in his entire career, IMHO.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 03, 2020, 04:31:03 PM
I'm also missing a lot of chamber music that has been released, which I hope to remedy soon. The reason I didn't get the 5th is because I'm sticking with BIS for the Aho releases. Hopefully, they'll record the 5th, 6th and the remaining ones like the 16th and 17th.

I was teasing since your collection puts mine to shame.  I once asked either Aho or BIS about No. 5 and No. 6 and one of them (sorry forgot who I asked) said No. 5 is extremely difficult to conduct and record.  Does anyone else know why these aren't available on BIS?  They are very fine based on youtube and the ondine recording but probably Aho at his most complex.

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on June 04, 2020, 05:45:39 AM
I was teasing since your collection puts mine to shame.  I once asked either Aho or BIS about No. 5 and No. 6 and one of them (sorry forgot who I asked) said No. 5 is extremely difficult to conduct and record.  Does anyone else know why these aren't available on BIS?  They are very fine based on youtube and the ondine recording but probably Aho at his most complex.

Its a good question, indeed. I haven't heard the 5th or 6th, but I couldn't imagine them being any more difficult than the 12th, which calls for massive forces --- two orchestras I think.

Mirror Image

I wonder what Jeffrey (Vandermolen) thinks about Aho's music?

kyjo

You guys are reminding me, I need to listen to more Aho! I've been quite enthralled by his timpani and flute concerti recently. Aho is especially good at creating mysterious, spellbinding atmospheres in his works.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on June 04, 2020, 04:43:54 PM
You guys are reminding me, I need to listen to more Aho! I've been quite enthralled by his timpani and flute concerti recently. Aho is especially good at creating mysterious, spellbinding atmospheres in his works.

Have you heard the Clarinet Concerto, Kyle? Yes, I agree about the mysterious nature of Aho's music. Nobody sounds like him.