Kalevi Aho(born 1949)

Started by Dundonnell, May 28, 2008, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arpeggio

There many living composers that are tonal and still evoke a unique sound world.  They prove that a C major is not obsolete.

Mirror Image

Quote from: arpeggio on June 04, 2020, 06:23:44 PM
There many living composers that are tonal and still evoke a unique sound world.  They prove that a C major is not obsolete.

Very true. I take it you're a fan of Aho? Any favorite works?

arpeggio

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2020, 06:27:10 PM
Very true. I take it you're a fan of Aho? Any favorite works?

My favorite is his First Symphony.  Very impressive first.  I also like his Contrabassoon and Oboe Concertos.  I heard Frost perform his Clarinet Concerto.

Mirror Image

Quote from: arpeggio on June 04, 2020, 06:44:58 PM
My favorite is his First Symphony.  Very impressive first.  I also like his Contrabassoon and Oboe Concertos.  I heard Frost perform his Clarinet Concerto.

Very nice, indeed. I'll have to revisit his Symphony No. 1 soon. I don't think I've heard the Contrabassoon Concerto yet.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2020, 06:01:06 AM
Its a good question, indeed. I haven't heard the 5th or 6th, but I couldn't imagine them being any more difficult than the 12th, which calls for massive forces --- two orchestras I think.

I believed the 5th had two simultaneous tempos so needs two conductors if I remember correctly but overall, not that much worse than Aho at his more complex mode.  It could be orchestras are more accustomed to off tempi music after the past decade or two.  I recall Marin Alsop once mentioning after a rehearsal of Thomas Ade's Asyla that she realized she was the only person in the orchestra on a beat.  Everyone else was written to have a different rhythm than what she was conducting.

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on June 05, 2020, 06:27:00 AM
I believed the 5th had two simultaneous tempos so needs two conductors if I remember correctly but overall, not that much worse than Aho at his more complex mode.  It could be orchestras are more accustomed to off tempi music after the past decade or two.  I recall Marin Alsop once mentioning after a rehearsal of Thomas Ade's Asyla that she realized she was the only person in the orchestra on a beat.  Everyone else was written to have a different rhythm than what she was conducting.

It appears that only one conductor is on the recording of the 5th:

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2020, 05:03:21 PM
Have you heard the Clarinet Concerto, Kyle? Yes, I agree about the mysterious nature of Aho's music. Nobody sounds like him.

I believe I started listening to it at one point but never finished. I should give it a more committed spin! ;)

Also, came across this on YT - an a live performance of the ending of Aho's Minea (Concertante Music for Orchestra): https://youtu.be/Won_6LJ3Emg

What thrilling music, full of inexorable forward momentum and great percussion writing. Time to go listen to the whole thing! It's contained on this BIS album:

[asin]B00FJIOKHM[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on June 05, 2020, 10:45:55 AM
I believe I started listening to it at one point but never finished. I should give it a more committed spin! ;)

Also, came across this on YT - an a live performance of the ending of Aho's Minea (Concertante Music for Orchestra): https://youtu.be/Won_6LJ3Emg

What thrilling music, full of inexorable forward momentum and great percussion writing. Time to go listen to the whole thing! It's contained on this BIS album:

[asin]B00FJIOKHM[/asin]

Yep, I own that recording. I'm not sure if you saw my Aho collection on the previous page or not, but I'd be interested in knowing what works you preferred or have enjoyed from my personal collection.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on June 05, 2020, 10:45:55 AM

[asin]B00FJIOKHM[/asin]

I haven't listened to Minea yet. Sounds like a real treat for me. Thank you, Kyle.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 05, 2020, 07:27:50 AM
It appears that only one conductor is on the recording of the 5th:

It appears you didn't see this from the ondine site:

Leipzig Radio Symphony Orchestra
Max Pommer, conductor
Kalevi Aho, assistant conductor

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on June 06, 2020, 05:37:23 PM
It appears you didn't see this from the ondine site:

Leipzig Radio Symphony Orchestra
Max Pommer, conductor
Kalevi Aho, assistant conductor

No, I only looked at the back cover image. Thanks for the info.

Symphonic Addict

Aho's Piano Concerto No. 1 is a knock-out of a work!! The way he explodes the resounding wealth of the orchestra is just jaw-dropping. There are lots of effects, pyrotechnics and passages like evoking grim landscapes. From the very opening you are hooked. Heartily recommended to any fans of this composer.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 08, 2021, 06:49:02 PM
Aho's Piano Concerto No. 1 is a knock-out of a work!! The way he explodes the resounding wealth of the orchestra is just jaw-dropping. There are lots of effects, pyrotechnics and passages like evoking grim landscapes. From the very opening you are hooked. Heartily recommended to any fans of this composer.

I'll have to revisit this work, Cesar. You've certainly made it sound enticing! :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 08, 2021, 07:01:51 PM
I'll have to revisit this work, Cesar. You've certainly made it sound enticing! :)

The Timpani Concerto on the same CD is worth listening too. There are no many timpani concertos out there, but this one has proven to be imaginatively written.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 09, 2021, 08:37:31 PM
The Timpani Concerto on the same CD is worth listening too. There are no many timpani concertos out there, but this one has proven to be imaginatively written.

I'm not a fan of concerti for percussion (with the obvious exception of the piano which is actually considered both a string and percussion instrument), but I'll give it a listen for sure. He's written some oddball concerti like the one for theremin called Acht Jahreszeiten (Eight Seasons), but I recall really enjoying this work. It's on the same disc as the Horn Concerto.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 08, 2021, 06:49:02 PM
Which recording of it do you like?  I do like (the few) works that I've heard of his (own a few CDs).   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 10, 2021, 04:46:18 AM
Which recording of it do you like?  I do like (the few) works that I've heard of his (own a few CDs).   :)

PD

You didn't ask me, but I think there's only one recording of it. Aho's music hasn't been recorded much outside of the BIS label.

The recording in question:

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks John.  I'll look into it.  :)

The CDs of his that I have are of Symphony No. 10/Rejoicing of the Deep Waters; Symphonic Dances/Symphony No. 11; and lastly, Symphony No. 12 'Luosto'.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 10, 2021, 06:30:29 AM
Thanks John.  I'll look into it.  :)

The CDs of his that I have are of Symphony No. 10/Rejoicing of the Deep Waters; Symphonic Dances/Symphony No. 11; and lastly, Symphony No. 12 'Luosto'.

PD

You're welcome. You've definitely got to look into getting more of the concerti recordings. The Flute Concerto and Clarinet Concerto, for example, belong in the mainstream repertoire. They're brilliant!

relm1

I very much liked his violin concerto but I can't remember if it was a symphony for violin.  It was very dark and demanding but a compelling listen.