Kalevi Aho(born 1949)

Started by Dundonnell, May 28, 2008, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on July 10, 2021, 06:51:32 AM
I very much liked his violin concerto but I can't remember if it was a symphony for violin.  It was very dark and demanding but a compelling listen.

It might've been his Symphony No. 5, which is subtitled Sinfonia concertante. It's found on this excellent recording:

Pohjolas Daughter

Thank you two for the suggestions!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aukhawk

I enjoy some of his 'unusual' concertos - Contrabassoon (very moody) - Double Bass - but my especial favourite is the Trombone Concerto.

Aho, Trombone Concerto, Trumpet Concerto

Maestro267

On top of that 3rd Symphony for violin and orchestra, there is also a named Violin Concerto which is on the same BIS disc as Symphony No. 1.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 09, 2021, 08:48:58 PM
I'm not a fan of concerti for percussion (with the obvious exception of the piano which is actually considered both a string and percussion instrument), but I'll give it a listen for sure. He's written some oddball concerti like the one for theremin called Acht Jahreszeiten (Eight Seasons), but I recall really enjoying this work. It's on the same disc as the Horn Concerto.

You don't enjoy percussion concertos that much like Hurwitz. Well, you have something in common with him after all.  :D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 10, 2021, 03:32:18 PM
You don't enjoy percussion concertos that much like Hurwitz. Well, you have something in common with him after all.  :D

Hah. :) If the concerto was perhaps centered around the vibraphone, xylophone or marimba, then I think it could work, but too often you have the concerto centered around a snare drum, timpani, etc. just banging away with no real purpose.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aukhawk on July 10, 2021, 09:49:32 AM
I enjoy some of his 'unusual' concertos - Contrabassoon (very moody) - Double Bass - but my especial favourite is the Trombone Concerto.

Aho, Trombone Concerto, Trumpet Concerto

That Trombone Concerto impressed me as well. The last movement especially at the very end where those chimes come in and the high sustained strings swell in and create this otherworldly atmosphere being the trombone. I've never heard writing like this before.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2021, 07:47:07 PM
Hah. :) If the concerto was perhaps centered around the vibraphone, xylophone or marimba, then I think it could work, but too often you have the concerto centered around a snare drum, timpani, etc. just banging away with no real purpose.
I remember listening to (and watching the performance) of a concerto by Evelyn Glennie for mallet instruments which I really enjoyed.  I want to say that I watched it within the past 6 months?  Trying to recall who wrote it.  I suspect that it was a rec and link to the video from someone on the forum.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

relm1

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 11, 2021, 03:32:52 AM
I remember listening to (and watching the performance) of a concerto by Evelyn Glennie for mallet instruments which I really enjoyed.  I want to say that I watched it within the past 6 months?  Trying to recall who wrote it.  I suspect that it was a rec and link to the video from someone on the forum.

PD

Hmm, my first comp teacher just had her concerto released by Evelyn Glennie a few months ago, maybe it was her concerto you are thinking of.  I think I posted about it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: relm1 on July 11, 2021, 05:33:09 AM
Hmm, my first comp teacher just had her concerto released by Evelyn Glennie a few months ago, maybe it was her concerto you are thinking of.  I think I posted about it.
Perhaps?  What is her name?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2021, 06:56:29 AM
It might've been his Symphony No. 5, which is subtitled Sinfonia concertante. It's found on this excellent recording:

Since I don't know Aho's music at all, I started listening to this CD on Spotify, but the music appears extremely dynamic. At first I did not heard anything. After 1:30 I started hearing something, but I don't know how much to raise volume, because loud sounds can get really loud. I don't really like very dynamic music and this one seems very dynamic recording/music.  :P It doesn't help I have free version with adds and those adds are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LOUD compared to the music! I fear for my hearing and heart (adds start with a BANG!) Buying these Aho CDs is not an option: they are pricy so to buy them to explore is out of the question.

The little I can hear sounds good.  $:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 11, 2021, 03:32:52 AM

PD

Quote from: relm1 on July 11, 2021, 05:33:09 AM

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 11, 2021, 05:56:26 AM
Perhaps?  What is her name?

PD

The recording in question?

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on July 11, 2021, 09:51:36 AM
Since I don't know Aho's music at all, I started listening to this CD on Spotify, but the music appears extremely dynamic. At first I did not heard anything. After 1:30 I started hearing something, but I don't know how much to raise volume, because loud sounds can get really loud. I don't really like very dynamic music and this one seems very dynamic recording/music.  :P It doesn't help I have free version with adds and those adds are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LOUD compared to the music! I fear for my hearing and heart (adds start with a BANG!) Buying these Aho CDs is not an option: they are pricy so to buy them to explore is out of the question.

Well, I'm glad you listened (or tried to listen ;)), Poju. Yes, his music does have a rather large dynamic range. Sometimes I find myself focused on the soft passages only to find there to be a climatic moment about to happen. But it's nothing like listening to Kancheli where I might as well have my hand glued to the volume knob when I listen to his music. :P

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 13, 2021, 06:52:17 AM
The recording in question?

Yes, that's the album.  I couldn't remember the composer's name.   :-[  I see that it's, by default (as the rest are all men), Alexis Alrich.  :)

Thanks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 13, 2021, 07:05:02 AM
Yes, that's the album.  I couldn't remember the composer's name.   :-[  I see that it's, by default (as the rest are all men), Alexis Alrich.  :)

Thanks!

PD

My pleasure, PD. 8)

aukhawk

Quote from: 71 dB on July 11, 2021, 09:51:36 AM

Yes, music that (a) starts very quiet and stays quiet for a long time before eventually reaching some kind of ff, and (b) is recorded with high dynamic range as audiophiles seem to prefer (and BIS is famous for provinding) - can be a real problem I agree.  The example I usually cite is Shostakovich's 11th Symphony which doesn't have any kind of 'loud' until 20 minutes in and doesn't reach a full orchestral tutti before 34 minutes.  On most modern recordings it's impossible to listen to without riding the voilume control, thank goodness for remotes.  You can see how it would work really well in a concert hall, but at home, much as I love the music - difficult.

relm1

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 13, 2021, 07:05:02 AM

Thanks!

PD

And yep, she was my first teacher.  :)  So we were all talking about the same thing after all.  :laugh:

lordlance

I heard the Triple Concerto recently released on BIS a few days ago:

It's different than his normal Shostakovich-ian fare and I need to hear it more. Others who've heard it: Any thoughts?
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

relm1

Quote from: lordlance on December 23, 2021, 10:01:46 AM
I heard the Triple Concerto recently released on BIS a few days ago:

It's different than his normal Shostakovich-ian fare and I need to hear it more. Others who've heard it: Any thoughts?

I quite liked this disc.  The works are lovely, not a word I typically use to describe Aho but these are very finely crafted and beautiful works.  Highly recommended.

DavidW

I recently listened to his fourth symphony and immediately liked it... which is not something that normally happens.  I usually have to warm up to music.  I suspect that by the end of the week I'll be ordering a cd copy.  I also like his clarinet concerto and 10th symphony.  Anyone want to share any favorites?