Kalevi Aho(born 1949)

Started by Dundonnell, May 28, 2008, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on April 19, 2022, 08:44:10 AM
I recently listened to his fourth symphony and immediately liked it... which is not something that normally happens.  I usually have to warm up to music.  I suspect that by the end of the week I'll be ordering a cd copy.  I also like his clarinet concerto and 10th symphony.  Anyone want to share any favorites?

I really liked these recordings (more recent-ish):

The Trombone Concerto in particular is stunning.

Brian

Lord Lance - I also really enjoyed the triple concerto, it's very different from his norm. I posted a very short comment here but you can really hear the backstory and the way that the lullaby evolves:

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29166.msg1428270/topicseen.html#msg1428270

It reminds me of David Matthews' Ninth Symphony, another piece that works complex variation and development from a surprisingly simple beginning.

I have not heard the trombone concerto in 3 years but it would not surprise me if it was great, since he also has that symphony with the really big trombone solos.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on April 19, 2022, 11:18:41 AM
Lord Lance - I also really enjoyed the triple concerto, it's very different from his norm. I posted a very short comment here but you can really hear the backstory and the way that the lullaby evolves:

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29166.msg1428270/topicseen.html#msg1428270

It reminds me of David Matthews' Ninth Symphony, another piece that works complex variation and development from a surprisingly simple beginning.

I have not heard the trombone concerto in 3 years but it would not surprise me if it was great, since he also has that symphony with the really big trombone solos.

I'd say that whole Double & Triple Concertos disc is fantastic and well worth picking up if someone is curious about Aho's music. I think it would actually make for a fine introduction to his music.

DavidW

Thanks, I've added those three albums to my list.

relm1

Quote from: DavidW on April 19, 2022, 08:44:10 AM
I recently listened to his fourth symphony and immediately liked it... which is not something that normally happens.  I usually have to warm up to music.  I suspect that by the end of the week I'll be ordering a cd copy.  I also like his clarinet concerto and 10th symphony.  Anyone want to share any favorites?

Aho is a favorite of mine.  I enjoy every one of his works.  They are of consistently high quality, but he also has developed quite a bit as a composer.  Like all the best composers, you can tell his music immediately but also there is a progression.  For example, Mahler's early works and late works are quite different, but they are still fantastic and are clearly the same composer.  I very much enjoy Aho's Symphony No. 4.  It's my favorite of his early period which includes No. 1 through 4.  These are darker works.  Aho mentioned in interviews that when he was young, he thought he would die soon so felt each of his works needed to be his epic "last symphony".  His mid period is more complex with multi-meter (different time signatures at the same time where rhythms often step on each other) yet they are also structurally coherent...somewhere within them, they reveal their inner workings.  His later works are somewhat theatrical, sometimes with a program.  Many of his symphonies frequently make use of concertante elements.  For example, Symphony No. 3 is for violin and orchestra, No. 8 is for organ and orchestra, no. 9 is for trombone and orchestra, etc.  These are not concertos but are symphonies with a soloist, sort of like Berlioz's "Harold en Italie" is really a symphony for viola and orchestra rather than a viola concerto.  His most recent symphony, Symphony No. 17 (2017) is really a series of symphonic poems, and he even indicates the movements can be performed independently.  He is a fantastic orchestrator.  His orchestral arrangement of Mussorgsky's "Songs and Dances of Death" is my favorite, even considering this same work was orchestrated by Shostakovich!  He's not as colorful as his teacher, Rautavaara.  But you can imagine that Aho was influenced by Rautavaara's serialist 1960's phase before he became a new-romantic/post-serialist.

Overall, I deeply enjoy his music.  It's intricate and polished but clearly traditional.  It can be challenging but never comes across as "phoned in".  He's a tremendously talented composer and one of the great contemporary symphonists.  I look forward to each of his works I have the opportunity to hear.  He's not as mystical as his teacher and countrymate, Rautavaara, who owes more of a debt to Ravel and Wager, but Aho is more Mahler, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, and Sibelius lineage.  He's an exceptional composer. 

Brian

Quote from: relm1 on April 19, 2022, 04:33:05 PM
Aho is a favorite of mine.  I enjoy every one of his works.  They are of consistently high quality, but he also has developed quite a bit as a composer.  Like all the best composers, you can tell his music immediately but also there is a progression.  For example, Mahler's early works and late works are quite different, but they are still fantastic and are clearly the same composer.  I very much enjoy Aho's Symphony No. 4.  It's my favorite of his early period which includes No. 1 through 4.  These are darker works.  Aho mentioned in interviews that when he was young, he thought he would die soon so felt each of his works needed to be his epic "last symphony".  His mid period is more complex with multi-meter (different time signatures at the same time where rhythms often step on each other) yet they are also structurally coherent...somewhere within them, they expose their inner workings.  His later works are somewhat theatrical, sometimes with a program.  Many of his symphonies frequently make use of concertante elements.  For example, Symphony No. 3 is for violin and orchestra, No. 8 is for organ and orchestra, no. 9 is for trombone and orchestra, etc.  These are not concertos but are symphonies with a soloist, sort of like Berlioz's "Harold en Italie" is really a symphony for viola and orchestra rather than a viola concerto.  His most recent symphony, Symphony No. 17 (2017) is really a series of symphonic poems and he even expansive indicates the movements can be performed independently.  He is a fantastic orchestrator.  His orchestral arrangement of Mussorgsky's "Songs and Dances of Death" is my favorite, even considering this same work was orchestrated by Shostakovich!  He's not as colorful as

Overall, I deeply enjoy his music.  It's intricate and polished but clearly traditional.  It can be challenging but never comes across as "phoned in".  He's a tremendously talented composer and one of the great contemporary symphonists.  I look forward to each of his works I have the opportunity to hear.  He's not as mystical as his teacher and countrymate, Rautavaara, who owes more of a debt to Ravel and Wager, but Aho is more Mahler, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, and Sibelius lineage.  He's an exceptional composer.
Thanks so much for this post. You're giving me the push that I need to do a really deep dive on Aho and maybe write up notes about the pieces.

One concern that I've had in the past was that Aho has seemingly endless range as a technician and colorist - he learns how to play every single instrument he writes for! how is that even possible??!?! - but a more limited range of emotional expression. The Triple Concerto really helped with that. But your post kinda gives me a guide through his moods/phases, and tells me where/how to find the variety.

Also, his solo stuff is really good. That is, the truly solo instrumental works with the names Solo I, Solo II, etc. They show amazing imaginations for the sonorities of the instrument.

EDIT: Oh and I looove the flute concerto.

Mirror Image

I enjoyed reading your take on Aho, relm1. 8) I'm agreement with you. An exceptional composer with a voice of his own. A rare feat for a composer working in the 21st Century.

DavidW

Thanks Relm1 for the indepth post.  I'll probably keep exploring Aho!

Mirror Image

I wonder what Jeffrey (Vandermolen) and Karl think of Aho? I know Cesar likes him a lot.

dhibbard

most interesting composer!

relm1

Quote from: Brian on April 19, 2022, 05:47:18 PM
Thanks so much for this post. You're giving me the push that I need to do a really deep dive on Aho and maybe write up notes about the pieces.

One concern that I've had in the past was that Aho has seemingly endless range as a technician and colorist - he learns how to play every single instrument he writes for! how is that even possible??!?! - but a more limited range of emotional expression. The Triple Concerto really helped with that. But your post kinda gives me a guide through his moods/phases, and tells me where/how to find the variety.

Also, his solo stuff is really good. That is, the truly solo instrumental works with the names Solo I, Solo II, etc. They show amazing imaginations for the sonorities of the instrument.

EDIT: Oh and I looove the flute concerto.

I thought the triple concerto was the first work of his I would describe as "beautiful".  The others are accomplished, exciting, dramatic, maybe lyrical, but rarely "beautiful".  I'd suggest a composer like this, you explore him in order because there is a pretty good link from one to the next (except No. 5 which is quite different).  I don't think No. 6 has been recorded.  No. 7 is from his opera, "Insect Life" so more thematic, like character studies.
It would be well paired with No. 13 which is also character studies.  I love No. 9 and 10, they are quite dark and dramatic with 9 being with solo trombone and No. 10 being more romantic...a bit of Mahler in the long central Adagio.  Some of his works, like No. 12 are picturesque and atmospheric...it's sort of a modern Alpine Symphony complete with storm and designed to take place outdoors with multiple ensembles. 

Maestro267

Just listened to the 4th Symphony after the recommendation in here. Truly excellent! I find it remarkable how the music collapses in the second movement and never recovers, even in the finale. There is no victory here, only desolation.

relm1

I'm not sure if this link will work but this is the recording of Songs of Dances of Death that I adore!

<iframe style="border-radius:12px" src="https://open.spotify.com/embed/album/1aXWqE1i0z5LJxAL7V1ovo?utm_source=generator" width="100%" height="380" frameBorder="0" allowfullscreen="" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; fullscreen; picture-in-picture"></iframe>

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on April 20, 2022, 05:46:58 AM
I'm not sure if this link will work but this is the recording of Songs of Dances of Death that I adore!

<iframe style="border-radius:12px" src="https://open.spotify.com/embed/album/1aXWqE1i0z5LJxAL7V1ovo?utm_source=generator" width="100%" height="380" frameBorder="0" allowfullscreen="" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; fullscreen; picture-in-picture"></iframe>

What's wrong with this recording?

I haven't heard the one you linked, but I'm content with this performance I own at the moment.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 20, 2022, 06:33:40 AM
What's wrong with this recording?

I haven't heard the one you linked, but I'm content with this performance I own at the moment.

It's not as refined as the one I prefer.  I LOVE the early Jarvi version, find the soloist perfect and never bettered.  The tempo and colors were exceptional.  I wish I could link the version I adore but it doesn't seem to be on youtube.  It's dark in a nordic way.  Russian has a different flavor.  It' the difference of gin versus vodka.  They both have the same impact but different shades...different timbres. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on April 20, 2022, 05:30:31 PM
It's not as refined as the one I prefer.  I LOVE the early Jarvi version, find the soloist perfect and never bettered.  The tempo and colors were exceptional.  I wish I could link the version I adore but it doesn't seem to be on youtube.  It's dark in a nordic way.  Russian has a different flavor.  It' the difference of gin versus vodka.  They both have the same impact but different shades...different timbres.

I know the performance you're referring to and, while I'm sure its nice, we must remember that this is Mussorgsky through the lens of Aho.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 20, 2022, 06:09:29 PM
I know the performance you're referring to and, while I'm sure its nice, we must remember that this is Mussorgsky through the lens of Aho.

Yes, that's not forgotten, which is why his is my favorite version and not the others (but also just love the soloist in that recording too).

Brian

Is there a recording of Symphony No. 6?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on May 10, 2022, 06:40:26 AM
Is there a recording of Symphony No. 6?

Not yet. I'm hoping BIS will come to the rescue.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 10, 2022, 06:41:48 AM
Not yet. I'm hoping BIS will come to the rescue.
Thanks!
I just went through Qobuz and made a playlist of the complete cycle (minus 6) plus a bunch of concertos, song cycles, chamber works, etc. My intention is to slowly listen or relisten to the complete Aho corpus and take detailed notes on my impressions.