Kalevi Aho(born 1949)

Started by Dundonnell, May 28, 2008, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matti

Born March 9th 1949. Balloons, cakes and fireworks!

Dundonnell

Thanks for pointing that out, Matti ;D

Many, many happy returns to a quite magnificent composer! May he write many more symphonies, concertos and other works!

And BIS....get on and record the missing symphonies please ;D

matti

I was in the audience when his Insect Symphony no 7 was premiered in 1989. He was younger then than I am now. How quickly time passes! I haven't even started my first. If I don't hurry, even Brahms will beat me.

;D

Dundonnell

As you can probably see if you have looked through this thread I am a HUGE admirer of Aho's music ;D

One of my oldest friends is the former Director of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestram Hugh Macdonald. Hugh hired Osmo Vanska as Principal Conductor of the orchestra and they played some Aho with the composer present. Apparently Aho is a very nice man...as well as a very good composer :)

matti

For my money Aho's music will live and prosper, (although) he is a very intellectual composer, very well aware of the past and the present music - as well as things aside, e.g politics. His appearance and utterance is that of a reserved intellectual, but in fact he is ALSO a hilarious lunatic! Just think about his 12th symphony... what a crazy idea!

Dundonnell

Quote from: matti on March 09, 2009, 04:06:51 PM
For my money Aho's music will live and prosper, (although) he is a very intellectual composer, very well aware of the past and the present music - as well as things aside, e.g politics. His appearance and utterance is that of a reserved intellectual, but in fact he is ALSO a hilarious lunatic! Just think about his 12th symphony... what a crazy idea!

I would love to go to Luosto to see and hear the symphony performed there :)

snyprrr

i used to have that original Ondine cd with sym 7 and one other (5 ?) before BIS began their series. i remember being very impressed, and i liked to go between that cd and the original Rautavaara Ondine label symphonies. i remember thinking they were somewhat similar, but it's interesting how they've diverged since.

BIS BIS BIS...never ending.

Dundonnell

Symphony No.14 "Rituaaleja" for sixteen strings, wind quintet and two percussionists will be released by BIS later this month in an intriguing coupling-

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/BIS/BISCD1686

Benji

Quote from: Dundonnell on April 02, 2009, 04:43:33 AM
Symphony No.14 "Rituaaleja" for sixteen strings, wind quintet and two percussionists will be released by BIS later this month in an intriguing coupling-

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/BIS/BISCD1686

Oooooooooh!  ;D

I've been listening to the Symphonic Dances a lot lately. I only just cracked it after giving it a blast about once a year and now I can't get enough. It reminds me a lot of Bartók and Ravel, not through similarity in style at all, just through the tangible sense of the magical the music conjours. I'd gladly recommend it to anyone who loves The Wooden Prince, The Miraculous Mandarin or Daphnis et Chloe. And if that wasn't enough, the music would definitely win an award for most convincing use of wind machine, if such an award existed.  8)

p.s How beautiful are the closing few minutes?! 

monafam

I have three Aho symphonies to date (2, 7, & 12 -- which I all enjoy).  In addition, I have a Tuba Concerto and Contrabasson Concerto -- I may not have even known that these instruments were ever featured   :) but I like what I hear.   

I'm definitely an Aho fan and hope to add to my collection soon.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Symphony No. 6: I'm wondering if it has ever been recorded? If not, why not?
Yeah, Aho seems to be "traditional enough" for a 20/21st century composer in order to attract me. I'm knowing the Symphonic Dances.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Benji on April 02, 2009, 08:57:46 AM
Oooooooooh!  ;D

I've been listening to the Symphonic Dances a lot lately. I only just cracked it after giving it a blast about once a year and now I can't get enough. It reminds me a lot of Bartók and Ravel, not through similarity in style at all, just through the tangible sense of the magical the music conjours. I'd gladly recommend it to anyone who loves The Wooden Prince, The Miraculous Mandarin or Daphnis et Chloe. And if that wasn't enough, the music would definitely win an award for most convincing use of wind machine, if such an award existed.  8)

p.s How beautiful are the closing few minutes?! 

Very persuasive. I have listened to a few of the symphonies, but these Symphonic Dances were still on my wishlist. Now's the time, I think, to have a stab at them.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Brünnhilde ewig

A number of years ago I ordered just one Kalevi Aho disc because as a big fan of Mattti Salminen I wanted to hear Aho's arrangement and orchestration of Mussorgsky's Songs and Dance of Death sung by Salminen. On the same disc is Aho's Symphony No. 3.

This disc rested peacefully in my collection, listened to rarely, and today I stumble upon this thread,  mainly because I wanted to see what one of my favourite GMG members, Jezetha had to say about Aho.

Thank you, Jezetha, thank you very much indeed, because now in my amazon basket are 6 Aho discs! - Before I click on 'order' please mail me your credit card number!  ;D -

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Brünnhilde ewig on August 08, 2009, 10:17:49 AM
A number of years ago I ordered just one Kalevi Aho disc because as a big fan of Mattti Salminen I wanted to hear Aho's arrangement and orchestration of Mussorgsky's Songs and Dance of Death sung by Salminen. On the same disc is Aho's Symphony No. 3.

This disc rested peacefully in my collection, listened to rarely, and today I stumble upon this thread,  mainly because I wanted to see what one of my favourite GMG members, Jezetha had to say about Aho.

Thank you, Jezetha, thank you very much indeed, because now in my amazon basket are 6 Aho discs! - Before I click on 'order' please mail me your credit card number!  ;D -

Just missed you, dear Brünnhild, ewiges Weib! Thanks for the very flattering words. But sorry - I don't have a credit card* (praise Wotan!)  ;)

* Credit cards aren't very common in the Netherlands...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Brünnhilde ewig

So be it, I clicked on 'order' and shall search the net for new variations of Macaroni and Cheese, sustenance for the next months!

You mean you folks pay cash for all your purchases, cash, like in coins and pieces of paper?  :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Brünnhilde ewig on August 08, 2009, 10:54:24 AM
So be it, I clicked on 'order' and shall search the net for new variations of Macaroni and Cheese, sustenance for the next months!

You mean you folks pay cash for all your purchases, cash, like in coins and pieces of paper?  :o

No, most people simply have a bank card. It's mostly business people or those who stay or buy a lot in foreign parts, who own a credit card.

Remember Einstein's famous formula? (Brünnhilde)Ewig=macaronicheese2.

gomro

Quote from: Brünnhilde ewig on August 08, 2009, 10:54:24 AM

The voice that used to haunt me in such cases had only three accusing words to say:
"EAT THE CDS..."

All jokes aside, I'm about to spring for some more Aho too. I have the Symphonic Dances and the 11th and 12th symphonies -- anyone have recommendations for the ESSENTIAL Aho piece? Right at present I'm leaning toward the concertos for tuba and contrabassoon.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: gomro on August 09, 2009, 04:07:25 AM-- anyone have recommendations for the ESSENTIAL Aho piece?

Well, Dundonnell, who started this thread, seems most enthusiastic about Symphonies 1, 4, and 10 (he'll correct me if I'm wrong). Those I've ordered along with 2/7 and the Symphonic Dances/11. Currently the only Aho I own is the Flute Concerto. Thanks to those responsible for reviving this thread. It's spurred me into action.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Benji

Quote from: Jezetha on August 08, 2009, 12:47:47 AM
Very persuasive. I have listened to a few of the symphonies, but these Symphonic Dances were still on my wishlist. Now's the time, I think, to have a stab at them.

How did your stabbing go?  ;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Benji on August 31, 2009, 07:51:19 AM
How did your stabbing go?  ;)

Aho has survived it. Very attractive, colourful music.