Kalevi Aho(born 1949)

Started by Dundonnell, May 28, 2008, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: Wieland on September 28, 2015, 07:15:18 AM
If you are a skeptic, it means that you know already some of his music. Sym 2-4 I would recommend to someone who just starts and who likes DSCH. If you are not interested in that period I would start with 10 or later. Actually I probably would recommend to start with 15 since you also get the tone-poem Minea and a double-bass concerto. If you don't like anything of this, just stop trying. Then Aho may not be your cup of tea.
[asin]B00FJIOKHM[/asin]

Out of all the sampling, 15 was the one that spoke to me the most. OK, I'll file this one then...

I've been plowing through the Nordics here trying to find sooomething I like- Aho, no; Sallinen, no; Holmboe, no;,... Nordgren, maybe yes;, I do like Kokkonen (Sym. 4 today, two recordings); Eliasson, no; Norgard already taken care of; errrr, who's next???

vandermolen

Just received a second hand copy of No.11. Will report back.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Wieland

Quote from: snyprrr on September 28, 2015, 02:09:38 PM
Out of all the sampling, 15 was the one that spoke to me the most. OK, I'll file this one then...

I've been plowing through the Nordics here trying to find sooomething I like- Aho, no; Sallinen, no; Holmboe, no;,... Nordgren, maybe yes;, I do like Kokkonen (Sym. 4 today, two recordings); Eliasson, no; Norgard already taken care of; errrr, who's next???
Magnus Lindberg, Kaija Saariaho, Fartein Valen, Harold Saeverud, Halvor Haug...

Kokkonen 4 is one of the greats!!

snyprrr

Quote from: Wieland on September 29, 2015, 04:38:09 AM
Magnus Lindberg, Kaija Saariaho, Fartein Valen, Harold Saeverud, Halvor Haug...

Kokkonen 4 is one of the greats!!

What Lindberg would you recommend for those who've already been through the Ondine mill with him- and I don't have any of the Ondines anymore, sold a decade ago- and yet I surely want to give hi m another shot... the Sony discs?

Saariaho I have the one Ondine with 'fumee' and the Kronos piece... I like that, but have been wary of her other stuff.

Valen I have the SQ... Saeverud I would need the best possible recommendation...

Yes, Kokkonen is neck and neck woith Norgard in favorability

Any others? I'm all ears!!

Wieland

For me three of his best

[asin]B00004TTIG[/asin] [asin]B000SNUMFC[/asin]
[asin]B00C1LIMVK[/asin]

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Have just listened through Symphonic Dances, which I greatly enjoyed and I loved the hymn-like ending. Now on to Symphony 11.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on October 01, 2015, 05:29:23 AM
Have just listened through Symphonic Dances, which I greatly enjoyed and I loved the hymn-like ending. Now on to Symphony 11.

Do you mean Kokkonen, Lindberg, or Aho?  TIA  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on October 01, 2015, 05:31:54 AM
Do you mean Kokkonen, Lindberg, or Aho?  TIA  0:)
[asin]B0001LYG3A[/asin]
The Symphonic Dances are derived from Aho's completion of Klami's ballet Whirls - the premiere of which I managed to see.  8)
I should revisit the work, I recall enjoying it.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on October 01, 2015, 05:42:57 AM
[asin]B0001LYG3A[/asin]

The Symphonic Dances are derived from Aho's completion of Klami's ballet Whirls - the premiere of which I managed to see.  8)
I should revisit the work, I recall enjoying it.

Groovy, thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Hi Karl. North Star is right. I should have made it clearer.   ::)

relm1

Kalevi Aho has completed a massive new Symphony No. 17.

From the composer:
I have been asked a more detailed information about the 17th symphony, which was finished a couple of days ago. The subtitle of the work is "Sinfonisia freskoja" (Symphonic Frescoes). The titles and the durations of the three movements are: I. Syvyydestä (From the Depth; 26'); II. Scherzo macabre (13'30''); III. Kaukaisia lauluja (Distant Songs; 23'30''). The total duration of the work is 63 minutes. Each movement can be played also as an independent symphonic poem. The size of the orchestra is big, but not too big (about 70-75 musicians are enough). There are in the in the instrumentation three rare instruments: lupophone (the lupophone part can be played also by heckelphone or bassoon); contraforte (can be played also by contrabassoon) and organ (used as orchestral instrument; there are no solo cadenzas for organ as in my 8th symphony). The score has 274 pages and I started to compose the work in March. The premiere will take place in spring 2019.

Maestro267

Oddly enough, I genuinely had a look last night to see if a Seventeenth Symphony was on the way, so this is very exciting news!

lescamil

Quote from: relm1 on July 18, 2017, 06:32:48 AM
Kalevi Aho has completed a massive new Symphony No. 17.

From the composer:
I have been asked a more detailed information about the 17th symphony, which was finished a couple of days ago. The subtitle of the work is "Sinfonisia freskoja" (Symphonic Frescoes). The titles and the durations of the three movements are: I. Syvyydestä (From the Depth; 26'); II. Scherzo macabre (13'30''); III. Kaukaisia lauluja (Distant Songs; 23'30''). The total duration of the work is 63 minutes. Each movement can be played also as an independent symphonic poem. The size of the orchestra is big, but not too big (about 70-75 musicians are enough). There are in the in the instrumentation three rare instruments: lupophone (the lupophone part can be played also by heckelphone or bassoon); contraforte (can be played also by contrabassoon) and organ (used as orchestral instrument; there are no solo cadenzas for organ as in my 8th symphony). The score has 274 pages and I started to compose the work in March. The premiere will take place in spring 2019.

Whoa! I can't wait to hear this. Hopefully it will end up on the YLE site where we can listen to or watch it for free.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

North Star

Quote from: lescamil on July 18, 2017, 05:30:08 PM
Whoa! I can't wait to hear this. Hopefully it will end up on the YLE site where we can listen to or watch it for free.
Agreed, this is very exciting news indeed.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Maestro267

The 17th Symphony is set for its world premiere as part of a 70th birthday concert for the composer on 4th April 2019: https://www.sinfonialahti.fi/konsertit-ja-liput-arkisto/symphony-concert-20/?lang=en

relm1

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 11, 2019, 07:15:47 AM
The 17th Symphony is set for its world premiere as part of a 70th birthday concert for the composer on 4th April 2019: https://www.sinfonialahti.fi/konsertit-ja-liput-arkisto/symphony-concert-20/?lang=en

Additional details (looks epic):
3433 4332 13, harp, org, str [pic, afl, ehn, lupophon, bcl, contraforte]

Category

Works for Orchestra or Large Ensemble

Premiere

Sinfonia Lahti, Dima Slobodeniuk, cond. April 4, 2019, Lahti, Finland

Movements

I - Syvyydestä - From the deep
II - Scherzo macabre
III Finale - Kaukaisia lauluja - Distant songs

Maestro267

Bumping this thread as it is the day of the premiere of Symphony No. 17. No idea if it will be on Youtube afterwards, like No. 16 was, but you never know...

65 minutes, scored for large orchestra including organ...this looks awesome!

calyptorhynchus

I'm beginning to go through Aho now. The early symphonies i've heard haven't done much for me but #8 I find very impressive.
I also love the disk with the tuba and contrabassoon concertos. These are amazing, both studies in the Wisdom of Bass Instruments, but quite different from each other (guess I better listen to the Double Bass Concerto).
Also found a recording of his SQ3 on YT. This very good, but I gather he hasn't pursued SQs, which is a pity.
On to the later symphonies!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

calyptorhynchus

Oh, I'm surprised and rather disappointed that I haven't found any works of Aho's apart from those I mentioned above which I really like. Plus I have only a limited amount of funds to pour into the Swedish economy via Bis, so I think I'll give Aho a rest for the moment. Even the much-praised Symphony No. 10 didn't do anything for me  :(
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton