The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Glazunov's glass of vodka

(1/60) > >>

vandermolen:
Any other admirers of Glazunov (1865-1936) other than me and David Mellor?

Often recalled for his (allegedly) drunken conducting of the disastrous premiere of Rachmaninov's First Symphony, Glazunov is, I think, a fine composer. All eight symphonies are available now on a very cheap Brilliant box set (Russian State SO, Polyansky..formerly on Chandos), with the Violin Concerto and other works. Symphony 2, 7 and 8 are my favourites+ the touching fragment of No 9.

Even the opinionated Norman Lebrecht has this to say of Glazunov:

"...a last-ditch saxophone concerto recaptures an effortless melodism that shows its regret for temps perdu in a passing quotation from Tcaikovsky's Pathetique Symphony."

An endearing figure, Glazunov protected his leftist and Jewish students (at the St Petersburg Conservatoire) from Tsarist expulsion, and later on, Shostakovich from communist interference. Lived with his mother but married Olga the housekeeper at 63, and adopted her pianist daughter.

"The Seasons" is one of my favourite works.

Harry:
For me all his Symphonies give great pleasure, and so are all the rest of his orchestral works.
Neeme Jarvi on Orfeo is the man, if it comes to his symphonies. I have the Polyanski set on Brilliant, but his tempi's do not make me very happen. he puts little enough effort in achieving all what is in it.
The Naxos issues are for me a complete disaster, sound wise, as performances, ditched that quite early.

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: Harry on June 01, 2008, 04:40:38 AM ---For me all his Symphonies give great pleasure, and so are all the rest of his orchestral works.
Neeme Jarvi on Orfeo is the man, if it comes to his symphonies. I have the Polyanski set on Brilliant, but his tempi's do not make me very happen. he puts little enough effort in achieving all what is in it.
The Naxos issues are for me a complete disaster, sound wise, as performances, ditched that quite early.

--- End quote ---

Interesting! of course I have the Brilliant and the Naxos series >:( I do, however, have the Orfeo CD with Symphony No 8 etc on and it is very good. I must look out for the others. What about the series on BIS? there were some v good old Olympias.

SonicMan46:
Well looks like another composer that I've neglected - have just one disc:

Symphony No. 5 et al w/ Jose Serebrier & the Royal Scottish National Orch on Warner Classics - probably bought this a while back from BRO - more offerings by the same conductors/orchestra of other Glazunov Symphonies; likely purchased the disc because of the six 5* reviews on Amazon HERE - will be curious about additional comments on these symphonies series!

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: SonicMan on June 01, 2008, 05:49:03 AM ---Well looks like another composer that I've neglected - have just one disc:

Symphony No. 5 et al w/ Jose Serebrier & the Royal Scottish National Orch on Warner Classics - probably bought this a while back from BRO - more offerings by the same conductors/orchestra of other Glazunov Symphonies; likely purchased the disc because of the six 5* reviews on Amazon HERE - will be curious about additional comments on these symphonies series!

--- End quote ---

Yes, but that is an excellent disc and there is another one now in that series (Symphony No 8?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version