Author Topic: Glazunov's glass of vodka  (Read 33158 times)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
Re: Glazunov's glass of vodka
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2019, 11:45:55 AM »
And the Serebrier cycle is very fine and an incredible bargain. 

I already had the Concertos element of this box, in a separate two-disc set. My "Seasons" is the "filler" for disc 2 of a set that contains Prokofiev's ballet Cinderella.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #201 on: February 24, 2020, 09:19:36 AM »
Picked up the complete Raymonda today. Listening now. Very very enjoyable to listen to, though I do wish the liner notes contained a more detailed track-by-track synopsis. Either that or, once again, ballet manages to turn what can be explained in a few short sentences, into 2 and a half hours of music.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:21:39 AM by Maestro267 »

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2020, 09:03:13 AM »
Glazunov remains of much interest in this thread which is good!  ;D

For me, no posts in a while but I've acquired a lot of his music - this morning, listening to the discs shown below; also have all of the other volumes on MDG w/ the Utrecht String Quartet; Piano Concertos w/ Coombs on Hyperion; and the José Serebrier 8-CD box of Symphonies & Concertos (including the violin & saxophone).

My question - Coombs recorded four volumes of the piano music - I really enjoy the first two discs and the reviews have been excellent; so, worth while obtaining V. 3 & 4? Thanks for any comments - Dave

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2020, 09:38:51 AM »
My question - Coombs recorded four volumes of the piano music - I really enjoy the first two discs and the reviews have been excellent; so, worth while obtaining V. 3 & 4? Thanks for any comments - Dave

I'd say yes, they are as good as the first two.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”  --- Victor Hugo

Offline Symphonic Addict

« Reply #204 on: February 26, 2020, 02:33:52 PM »
Picked up the complete Raymonda today. Listening now. Very very enjoyable to listen to, though I do wish the liner notes contained a more detailed track-by-track synopsis. Either that or, once again, ballet manages to turn what can be explained in a few short sentences, into 2 and a half hours of music.

Raymonda's been on my radar for quite a time and I haven't managed to listen to it. I should remedy that soon.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #205 on: February 26, 2020, 07:41:33 PM »
I'd say yes, they are as good as the first two.

Thanks Andrei - Dave :)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #206 on: March 03, 2020, 07:45:05 AM »
What a shame that Glazunov was never able to complete his Ninth Symphony. The valedictory fragment which he left behind in short score is IMO one of his finest creations. A sad, searching, poignant and lyrical example of Glazunov at his best. I'm increasingly inclined to agree with Harry of this forum that he is a very underrated composer. This CD would be a great introduction to his music:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2020, 07:59:31 AM »
The first page of Helen Oyeyemi's 2012 novel Mister Fox. I wonder which symphony the narrator refers to.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2020, 08:53:41 AM »
The first page of Helen Oyeyemi's 2012 novel Mister Fox. I wonder which symphony the narrator refers to.
Interesting! My wife, however, often complains about 'the noise'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Symphonic Addict

« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2020, 10:29:31 AM »

His 'loudest' symphony for me it's the 5th with that potent and festive last movement. It could be that, who knows.