Glazunov's glass of vodka

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2008, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2020, 10:32:54 AM
Try Svetlanov. You'll thank me later. ;) :D

https://www.youtube.com/v/MsJKFirXMCI

That's my favourite performance of Symphony No.8. That LP was a record library discovery of my youth.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2020, 02:08:09 AM
That's my favourite performance of Symphony No.8. That LP was a record library discovery of my youth.

I'm slightly confused!  Is this a different performance/recording that is listed as with the USSR SO - I don't remember ever seeing Svetlanov with the Moscow RSO

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 27, 2020, 03:19:04 AM
I'm slightly confused!  Is this a different performance/recording that is listed as with the USSR SO - I don't remember ever seeing Svetlanov with the Moscow RSO

This is the set I own and it's a later cycle with the USSR State Symphony Orchestra. The recordings he made with the Moscow Radio SO must be earlier recordings.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2020, 02:08:09 AM

Very nice, Jeffrey. I wonder if these earlier recordings are available on CD? I'll have to check this out.

Dima

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2020, 10:32:54 AM
Try Svetlanov. You'll thank me later. ;) :D

https://www.youtube.com/v/MsJKFirXMCI
Very good playing. I feel in this symphony a tragedy of great composer who lost inspiration (-Why? -See the name of this topic on forum).
It is very russian story to drunk away its own talant.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dima on May 27, 2020, 01:20:34 PM
Very good playing. I feel in this symphony a tragedy of great composer who lost inspiration (-Why? -See the name of this topic on forum).

Indeed, but we did get some great music out all of this personal turmoil thankfully.

Dima

Listen to the final part of 3d symphony in its best version in my view by Boris Khaykin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8iaSHqciCo

You will clearly hear future Sibelius music in moments 5.21-5.50 and 10.05-10.30 (they knew each other). I think it is his best symphony from beginning to end.

Dima

I don't remember if i tell that: Sibelius as a citizen of Russian Imperia was influenced much by russian music of Glazunov, Tchaikovsky, Rimskiy-Korsakov and also Arensky. You can listen here how similar Valse Triste of Sibelius and the 7 variation from op.35a of Arensky. I have connected them together: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/vNo5/Z25Pu5Uz5

Symphonic Addict

I've heard Serebrier and Rozhdestvensky cycles. Both are up the expectations.

What about the Orfeo recordings with Järvi and the Bamberger Symphoniker? Are they good?
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 27, 2020, 05:15:46 PM
I've heard Serebrier and Rozhdestvensky cycles. Both are up the expectations.

What about the Orfeo recordings with Järvi and the Bamberger Symphoniker? Are they good?

I prefer Svetlanov to Serebrier even if Serebrier has the better audio quality. There's something magical about the way Svetlanov conducts that just draws me in. I'd like to hear Rozhdestvensky at some point, but I'm in no dire need as Svetlanov serves me just fine. I'll have to ask my dad about Järvi --- I think he owns that Bamberger cycle. Järvi and Bamberg are a good combination. I loved his Martinů cycle with them for example.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2020, 05:19:44 PM
I prefer Svetlanov to Serebrier even if Serebrier has the better audio quality. There's something magical about the way Svetlanov conducts that just draws me in. I'd like to hear Rozhdestvensky at some point, but I'm in no dire need as Svetlanov serves me just fine. I'll have to ask my dad about Järvi --- I think he owns that Bamberger cycle. Järvi and Bamberg are a good combination. I loved his Martinů cycle with them for example.

I suspect I'll be acquiring the Svetlanov cycle at some moment, albeit I feel that his sometimes slow conducting puts me off a bit.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 27, 2020, 05:43:05 PM
I suspect I'll be acquiring the Svetlanov cycle at some moment, albeit I feel that his sometimes slow conducting puts me off a bit.

Hmm...I never heard a really slow performance from Svetlanov. I think, if anything, his performances have an impact that stays with me days after I've heard them. I'm surprised he didn't tackle much of Prokofiev's or Weinberg's music. The very thought of him conducting Weinberg's Symphony No. 5 for example makes me grin from ear to ear. Oh well, we're served rather well by Kondrashin in this symphony. :D

Symphonic Addict

Today I discovered the incredibly catchy and exquisite Suite for String Quartet in C major on the recording above. Glazunov at his most joyful and polished. Supremely fantastic work. I loved it instantly.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Not too sure RS. I assumed that it was the same recording as in the boxed set but maybe not. Recently I've got to appreciate Symphony No.3 a great deal - I hardly listened to it before.
This CD has given me much pleasure:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Dima on May 27, 2020, 01:20:34 PM
Yes and very sad. Mussorgsky and Gavril Popov also come to mind.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I think there are more recordings of Svetlanov/State Orch. that are not included in the box. Since they are recordings of various orchestral works, they are not included in the complete "symphonies" box. The box and the two discs below sound excellent.

I was listening to Golovanov's old recordings of No.5 and others last week. They are so wild and they offer some attractive/interesting interpretations.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoying other recordings by Svetlanov. They sound wonderful.
As for his Symphonies box, the title says GlazOUnov. Is this closer to the original name?
I understand if W (or F) replaces V, but haven't seen the spelling in question.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 08, 2021, 08:21:25 PM
Enjoying other recordings by Svetlanov. They sound wonderful.
As for his Symphonies box, the title says GlazOUnov. Is this closer to the original name?
I understand if W (or F) replaces V, but haven't seen the spelling in question.

It's probably just the ~Frenchified version of the name. They don't do it a lot to composers, but there's 'Borodine', 'Moussorgski', 'Scriabine' and 'Goubaidoulina' too ...

Jo498

There used to be and still are many ways to render kyrillic/russian. Until the early/mid 20th century the French and the German ways to do this were more common (because far more Russians spoke these as second languages, travelled or lived there than in the anglophone world).
Just think how a French speaker would prounouce Glazunov (the u would rhyme with the last syllable of "perdu") or Scriabin ("-bin" would rhyme with "vin")
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on February 08, 2021, 09:44:37 PM
It's probably just the ~Frenchified version of the name. They don't do it a lot to composers, but there's 'Borodine', 'Moussorgski', 'Scriabine' and 'Goubaidoulina' too ...
Vainberg/Weinberg
Rachmaninoff/Rachmaninov
Miaskovsky (my preference)/Myaskovsky (more common these days)
Prokofiev/Prokofieff