Glazunov's glass of vodka

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2008, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rons_talking

I've always been a Glazunov fan (I like several 19thC Russians). I recently listened to Scenes de Ballet and was  impressed. Also the Piano Concerto and Sax Concerto are highly expressive. I get the feeling he was overrated during his early years and now he's underrated by many who think of him as an old fashioned, technically sound musician who drank too much. But he can compose in any idiom and IMHO is first-rate in all of them. Also the Symphony 8 and The Seasons are among my faves.

Jo498

Was Glazunov also involved in the collaborative monstrosity that is the instrumentation (presumeably for ballett?) of Schumann's "Carnaval"?
EDIT: yes, it was a 1910 Diaghilev choreography and besides Glazunov, Rimsky, Lyadov and Tcherepnin were involved.

I got one volume of the string quartets on MDG and was sufficiently disappointed not to get any further volumes...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Scion7

sorry you don't like him - I think he's a fine composer
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Turner

Quote from: Jo498 on March 07, 2017, 07:15:35 AM
Was Glazunov also involved in the collaborative monstrosity that is the instrumentation (presumeably for ballett?) of Schumann's "Carnaval"?
EDIT: yes, it was a 1910 Diaghilev choreography and besides Glazunov, Rimsky, Lyadov and Tcherepnin were involved.

I got one volume of the string quartets on MDG and was sufficiently disappointed not to get any further volumes...

Yes, there´s at least a couple of old LP recordings (Melodiya, Remington, possibly more), and a Naxos recording too. I don´t find the result particularly interesting though, the piano version is the one to have.

As regards the string quartets, I haven´t really gotten into them either, only own a couple, but the Alla Spagnoletta and the Orientale from Novelettes op.15 strike as quite attractive pieces: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw9TBmhNojU  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDgwdgQgpk

Maestro267

Yesterday I picked up a 2-disc set of Glazunov's complete concertos. All the Glazunov I've heard so far (a couple of symphonies, plus The Seasons) I've really enjoyed, and these concertos are no exception. In a similar sound world to Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 25, 2017, 07:17:38 AM
Yesterday I picked up a 2-disc set of Glazunov's complete concertos. All the Glazunov I've heard so far (a couple of symphonies, plus The Seasons) I've really enjoyed, and these concertos are no exception. Right up there with Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov.
I agree although many others don't. My favourites are symphonies 1 (composed aged 16), 2,7,8 and the fragment of No.9 along with 'Kremlin', 'King of the Jews' and the wonderful 'The Seasons'. I also like 'From the Middle Ages' and both piano concertos.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

I was going for more that Glazunov's works are in a similar vein to Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov, so if you enjoy those, you'll enjoy Glazunov's music. And as many people enjoy Tchaik & Rach, it's a surprise that Glazunov isn't more popular than he is.

Anyway, what I find noteworthy is how structurally these concertos differ from the standard form of the time. The Piano Concerto No. 1 is in 2 movements, a la Beethoven's 32nd Piano Sonata and Prokofiev's 2nd Symphony, and the other "named" concertos are in a single movement. Also, the B major 2nd Piano Concerto exhibits progressive tonality (ending in E major), with a slow section in the very unexpected key of F major.

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2017, 07:31:34 AM
I agree although many others don't. My favourites are symphonies 1 (composed aged 16), 2,7,8 and the fragment of No.9 along with 'Kremlin', 'King of the Jews' and the wonderful 'The Seasons'. I also like 'From the Middle Ages' and both piano concertos.

Dear kind sir, please please please salve my eyes and Capitalize your Thread Title! :P :-*

If I were to give Glazunov the ThreeMinuteChallenge, what are they? It doesn't have to BE 3mins., but, I fear, that's all the Glazunov I may have in me...

mahler10th

Glazunov.
In 1999 I got (I think) his fifth on Naxos amid a bunch of other discs for Birthday.  I listened to it a few times, but didn't think much of it, knowing little of Glazunov and not too much appreciating what I heard.  Well, you know, fast forward to last year when I settled down to listen to Glazunovs Fourth for the first time, with Polyansky and the Russian State Symphony Orchestra.
Oh!  A voyage filled with LYRICAL and JOYFUL romance!  I had SO expected to be disappointed again, but no, the fourth was an outstanding wee symphony which prompted me to get the full Polyansky 7 CD set... I listened to the fifth again...it sounded completely different from my first experience, this time it was FULL and BEAUTIFUL!
That Polyansky - Glazunov set has become one of my most prized listening sets.   0:)

[asin]B0011367P2[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Est.1965 on August 26, 2017, 10:18:32 AM
Glazunov.
In 1999 I got (I think) his fifth on Naxos amid a bunch of other discs for Birthday.  I listened to it a few times, but didn't think much of it, knowing little of Glazunov and not too much appreciating what I heard.  Well, you know, fast forward to last year when I settled down to listen to Glazunovs Fourth for the first time, with Polyansky and the Russian State Symphony Orchestra.
Oh!  A voyage filled with LYRICAL and JOYFUL romance!  I had SO expected to be disappointed again, but no, the fourth was an outstanding wee symphony which prompted me to get the full Polyansky 7 CD set... I listened to the fifth again...it sounded completely different from my first experience, this time it was FULL and BEAUTIFUL!
That Polyansky - Glazunov set has become one of my most prized listening sets.   0:)

[asin]B0011367P2[/asin]
Great set - I agree.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

While I greatly admire his orchestral output (symphonies, miscellaneous works for orchestra, piano concerti) and piano sonatas, the same does not happen with some of his chamber music works. I'm listening to the string quartets (Utrecht String Quartet, MDG label): the first three quartets are reasonably attractive, melodious, have a spark, instead of the number 4 onwards there is a lack of inspiration that makes them somewhat generic. Both the Violin concerto and the Saxophone concerto don't cause me much impact either. Anyway, this is a composer who knew how to write music of great life and sweetness.

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 29, 2017, 05:07:00 PM
While I greatly admire his orchestral output (symphonies, miscellaneous works for orchestra, piano concerti) and piano sonatas, the same does not happen with some of his chamber music works. I'm listening to the string quartets (Utrecht String Quartet, MDG label): the first three quartets are reasonably attractive, melodious, have a spark, instead of the number 4 onwards there is a lack of inspiration that makes them somewhat generic. Both the Violin concerto and the Saxophone concerto don't cause me much impact either. Anyway, this is a composer who knew how to write music of great life and sweetness.

I don't know Glazunov's quartets, but I think his charming Five Novelettes for string quartet and his beautiful String Quintet (with 2 cellos) are very fine works. They're coupled on this excellent Naxos CD:

[asin]B000MRP1WS[/asin]

I'm surprised you're not too keen on his Violin Concerto! It's one of my favorite VCs - Russian melancholy at its finest. I much prefer it to the overplayed (IMHO) Tchaikovsky VC.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

My two favorite Glazunov works are on this Jarvi recording:

That's about it for me with Glazunov. I've tried to get into music awhile back, but it's just two sugarcoated for my tastes. There's no fire to his music.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on October 29, 2017, 08:08:06 PM
I don't know Glazunov's quartets, but I think his charming Five Novelettes for string quartet and his beautiful String Quintet (with 2 cellos) are very fine works. They're coupled on this excellent Naxos CD:

[asin]B000MRP1WS[/asin]

I'm surprised you're not too keen on his Violin Concerto! It's one of my favorite VCs - Russian melancholy at its finest. I much prefer it to the overplayed (IMHO) Tchaikovsky VC.

That's strange because it's so popular. What recording could you recommend me?

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 30, 2017, 12:06:12 PM
That's strange because it's so popular. What recording could you recommend me?

I very much like Nicola Benedetti's recording:

[asin]B01EISA4RS[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on October 30, 2017, 01:45:12 PM
I very much like Nicola Benedetti's recording:

[asin]B01EISA4RS[/asin]

Thanks Kyjo! I'm gonna give it a try.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 29, 2017, 08:37:03 PM
My two favorite Glazunov works are on this Jarvi recording:

That's about it for me with Glazunov. I've tried to get into music awhile back, but it's just two sugarcoated for my tastes. There's no fire to his music.

I have From Middle Ages in a different disc, along with The Sea, Spring and Stenka Razin, also with Järvi and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra (I think it's out of print). It has to be one of the best Cd's of Glazunov's music. Vibrant performances!

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 30, 2017, 03:07:09 PM
Thanks Kyjo! I'm gonna give it a try.

No problem! Please report back when you have :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 30, 2017, 03:14:53 PM
I have From Middle Ages in a different disc, along with The Sea, Spring and Stenka Razin, also with Järvi and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra (I think it's out of print). It has to be one of the best Cd's of Glazunov's music. Vibrant performances!

You must hear Järvi in From the Middles Ages, SA. I'm sure the recording can be bought cheaply in the used market.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 30, 2017, 03:35:26 PM
You must hear Järvi in From the Middles Ages, SA. I'm sure the recording can be bought cheaply in the used market.

Yes. I meant I do have From the Middles Ages with Járvi, but in a different disc to yours. A nicely colourful work indeed.