Glazunov's glass of vodka

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2008, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Just I've played the Violin concerto with Benedetti on Spotify as Kyjo suggested me. This listen improved hugely my concept of this concerto, I hadn't appreciated its true depth and beauty. In the last part I could perceive the violin doing a sound like a balalaika, at least it was the impression I had. Thanks again Kyjo!

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 30, 2017, 04:26:27 PM
Just I've played the Violin concerto with Benedetti on Spotify as Kyjo suggested me. This listen improved hugely my concept of this concerto, I hadn't appreciated its true depth and beauty. In the last part I could perceive the violin doing a sound like a balalaika, at least it was the impression I had. Thanks again Kyjo!

Great to hear! I love the contrast between the soulful, melancholy first two sections and the brilliant, high spirited final one. I do recall the balalaika imitation in the final section, which is a great moment indeed.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

I had not noticed the incredible charm of the Symphony No. 2 so far, a posthumous dedication to Franz Liszt. I'm perplexed. That 1st movement is imposing and with epic touches, with a brilliant orchestral use. It's apparently influenced by Tchaikovsky and Borodin, the latter very especially in the 2nd movement with its reminiscences of In the Steppes of Central Asia, a thoroughly eloquent movement. I really love what I'm listening to! The Scherzo is definitely Tchaikovskian, some wind passages remind me of the Manfred Symphony (2nd movement), casually in B minor too. The 4th movement is less derivative, though. I feel it more Glazunovian, sparkling, effervescent.

All in all, this has been a quite revelatory rediscovery, and even more so keeping in mind that this symphony is an early work, composed at his twenties. I'm amazed by the huge talent of this precocious composer.

Personally, I consider that the Serebrier set is just well proportioned and greatly conducted, with an unsurpassed sound engineering.

kyjo

I've yet to listen to his 2nd Symphony (your description certainly sounds enticing, Cesar!), but I recently discovered his wonderfully energetic, tuneful, and life-affirming 1st Symphony, which is a splendidly accomplished work for a 16-year-old! It would certainly make a nice substitute for, say, one of the Tchaikovsky symphonies on a concert program if given the chance.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on October 09, 2018, 04:12:50 PM
I've yet to listen to his 2nd Symphony (your description certainly sounds enticing, Cesar!), but I recently discovered his wonderfully energetic, tuneful, and life-affirming 1st Symphony, which is a splendidly accomplished work for a 16-year-old! It would certainly make a nice substitute for, say, one of the Tchaikovsky symphonies on a concert program if given the chance.

Indeed, I wholeheartedly agree! The 1st is a LOVELY and delightful piece, incredibly mature for a teenager. What recording did you listen to?

vandermolen

1/2/7/8 are my favourites and 'The Seasons' and 'The Kremlin'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

As far as I am concerned, I can't give an assessment about my favorites yet. I am familiarizing myself with these works since I didn't hear them for years. Today I'm listening to the No. 3 and it's another strong work, featuring a heartfelt slow movement.

Irons

The "Pastoral" 7th Symphony I like a lot. It must be said the Melodiya recording I have with Fedoseyev and the Moscow Radio Orchestra is not first class, despite that, it is the Glazounov recording I play most.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

kyjo

My university orchestra is currently playing Glazunov's Valse de Concert no. 2 in a program along with Shostakovich's mighty 10th Symphony. It's an absolutely delightful work which I honestly prefer to any of Tchaikovsky's ballet waltzes!

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 11, 2018, 04:52:12 PM
My university orchestra is currently playing Glazunov's Valse de Concert no. 2 in a program along with Shostakovich's mighty 10th Symphony. It's an absolutely delightful work which I honestly prefer to any of Tchaikovsky's ballet waltzes!

Hope your concert goes will Kyle. I'm also an admirer of the Finnish Fantasy and 'The King of the Jews' by Glazunov as well as his piano concertos.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I remember my grandparents (my mother's parents) had old MK Lp's of some Russian music,including recordings of Glazunov symphonies. The sound quality was a bit on the thin side and the Lp's,themselves,were like dinner plates (not nice and bendy!). I just looked the up,now. They were conducted by Khaikin;and he appears to have been conducting the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra. If you can get past the sound quality,would these recordings have been any good? MK seemed to have been quite widely available at one time. They had allot of Russian repertoire on them,including Kabalevsky's Fourth Symphony,conducted by the composer;but also some German composers. I think my father,who is still alive,has them in a case upstairs,somewhere?!

Oh,here we are! Yes,like dinner plates! Very hard and,definitely,not bendy! The surfaces were a bit like the LP felt!! ??? ;D Quite nice bird photos. Or,at least,not bad,for this label!! I seemed to associate Glazunov with birds of that kind,for a while!! Khaikin isn't a conductor I'm familiar with. Not up there with the greats,I presume? The sound quality didn't help! But I used to play them a bit!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 12, 2018, 01:20:51 AM
I remember my grandparents (my mother's parents) had old MK Lp's of some Russian music,including recordings of Glazunov symphonies. The sound quality was a bit on the thin side and the Lp's,themselves,were like dinner plates (not nice and bendy!). I just looked the up,now. They were conducted by Khaikin;and he appears to have been conducting the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra. If you can get past the sound quality,would these recordings have been any good? MK seemed to have been quite widely available at one time. They had allot of Russian repertoire on them,including Kabalevsky's Fourth Symphony,conducted by the composer;but also some German composers. I think my father,who is still alive,has them in a case upstairs,somewhere?!

Oh,here we are! Yes,like dinner plates! Very hard and,definitely,not bendy! The surfaces were a bit like the LP felt!! ??? ;D Quite nice bird photos. Or,at least,not bad,for this label!! I seemed to associate Glazunov with birds of that kind,for a while!! Khaikin isn't a conductor I'm familiar with. Not up there with the greats,I presume? The sound quality didn't help! But I used to play them a bit!

Such a nostalgia trip seeing that. I borrowed a lot of those non-bendy LPs from the High Street Kensington Record Library - an Aladdin's cave of discovery for me. These included the underrated 4th Symphony of Kabalevsky conducted by the composer, Miaskovsky's 6th Symphony in a boxed set. That Khaikin performance of Glazunov's 8th Symphony, on an EMI/Melodiya LP I think, was my introduction to the composer and remains my favourite work by him, especially in that performance (has it ever been on CD?)

cilgwyn

In a review of some recordings of Glazunov symphonies,Rob Barnett describes some of those old Soviet recordings,by conductors like (and including) Khaikin,as "virile"! Well,they definitely have "something"! And that rasping soviet brass,of course. Unfortunately,Khaikin's recordings of Glazunov symphonies have never been released on cd. I did have a look! His recordings of Symphonies 2 & 8,can be found,if you put them into the browser. No 2,is on Youtube.
My grandparents had this one,as well! (And again,my father probably still has it in,in one of those,record cases,upstairs?!!) This one with a different orchestra. I wonder if they have any at the Art Music Forum?!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 12, 2018, 08:30:06 AM
In a review of some recordings of Glazunov symphonies,Rob Barnett describes some of those old Soviet recordings,by conductors like (and including) Khaikin,as "virile"! Well,they definitely have "something"! And that rasping soviet brass,of course. Unfortunately,Khaikin's recordings of Glazunov symphonies have never been released on cd. I did have a look! His recordings of Symphonies 2 & 8,can be found,if you put them into the browser. No 2,is on Youtube.
My grandparents had this one,as well! (And again,my father probably still has it in,in one of those,record cases,upstairs?!!) This one with a different orchestra. I wonder if they have any at the Art Music Forum?!

Never seen that one before. What a wonderful cover image!

cilgwyn

More Khaikin. Delightful artwork. I wish I'd had this Melodiya Lp!

Irons

I found the Oriental Rhapsody impressive. Am I imagining it but the opening horn call reminded me of a much more famous (later) work.

https://youtu.be/cLxkUfS0g3g

https://youtu.be/mkLyK-oSQ7A

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 14, 2018, 02:20:50 AM
More Khaikin. Delightful artwork. I wish I'd had this Melodiya Lp!

I do have that LP - my introduction to The Seasons.

SymphonicAddict

I don't belong to the LP generation, but I do know that The Seasons is a thoroughly magical ballet and there are good recordings of it on CD. I have one performed by Ashkenazy and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. This work is simply sheer bliss!!

Having listened to the 8 symphonies plus the fragment of the 9th, I have to say that Glazunov didn't write any dull one, on the contrary, satisfying works that were maturing over the years. I like them all with no exception. However, my absolute favorites are curiously the even-numbered (2, 4, 6 and 8 ). The No. 4 is one of his noblest works ever, charged with a touching longing that I found utterly gorgeous from its very beginning. The 6th is highly spirited in the 1st and 4th movements, with two more pastoral ones in between. And the No. 8 is deservedly a masterwork. One can perceive a clear evolution in his writing in here, it's more dense, more personal and I'm not sure but I think I perceived some Strauss touches in the 3rd movement. It's really a work that leaves a strong impression.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 16, 2018, 06:46:00 PM
I don't belong to the LP generation, but I do know that The Seasons is a thoroughly magical ballet and there are good recordings of it on CD. I have one performed by Ashkenazy and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. This work is simply sheer bliss!!

Having listened to the 8 symphonies plus the fragment of the 9th, I have to say that Glazunov didn't write any dull one, on the contrary, satisfying works that were maturing over the years. I like them all with no exception. However, my absolute favorites are curiously the even-numbered (2, 4, 6 and 8 ). The No. 4 is one of his noblest works ever, charged with a touching longing that I found utterly gorgeous from its very beginning. The 6th is highly spirited in the 1st and 4th movements, with two more pastoral ones in between. And the No. 8 is deservedly a masterwork. One can perceive a clear evolution in his writing in here, it's more dense, more personal and I'm not sure but I think I perceived some Strauss touches in the 3rd movement. It's really a work that leaves a strong impression.

Interesting Cesar - I must give No.4 another listen to. I'm sorry that he never completed No.9. The fragment which exists is rather touching and moving.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2018, 11:27:12 PM
Interesting Cesar - I must give No.4 another listen to. I'm sorry that he never completed No.9. The fragment which exists is rather touching and moving.

It's true, the 9th sounds like a promising work. Glazunov was seeking his most personal facet with his last symphonies.