Glazunov's glass of vodka

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2008, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 17, 2018, 05:58:12 PM
It's true, the 9th sounds like a promising work. Glazunov was seeking his most personal facet with his last symphonies.
Yes, I agree with that as well. No. 8 has a sense of tragedy about which is unlike any of the earlier symphonies, enjoyable as they are. The only movement of No.9 conveys great sadness I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Here is a fabulous newly released CD of Glazunov's music, beautifully remastered. The performance of the VC (Milstein/Steinberg, 1957) is the best I have heard. Symphony 2 is one of the best I think and the 1966 recordings of symphonies and 2 and 3 (USSR Ministry of Culture SO) under Rozhdestvensky are both terrific. Ansermet's 'Stenka Razin' from 1954 is beautifully atmospheric and, at times,  poetic - again my favourite version. Urania don't provide notes ('too expensive' they tell me) but there is an interesting photo included of Glazunov and Balakirev, the latter has (as far as I can tell) a demonic-looking cat sitting on his lap:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on March 17, 2019, 12:50:20 AM
Here is a fabulous newly released CD of Glazunov's music, beautifully remastered. The performance of the VC (Milstein/Steinberg, 1957) is the best I have heard. Symphony 2 is one of the best I think and the 1966 recordings of symphonies and 2 and 3 (USSR Ministry of Culture SO) under Rozhdestvensky are both terrific. Ansermet's 'Stenka Razin' from 1954 is beautifully atmospheric and, at times,  poetic - again my favourite version. Urania don't provide notes ('too expensive' they tell me) but there is an interesting photo included of Glazunov and Balakirev, the latter has (as far as I can tell) a demonic-looking cat sitting on his lap:

Classic Record Collector did a survey of Ansermet recordings, French was the largest group with 14 composers recorded. Surprisingly, the second largest group consists of Russian composers. Which is a long winded way of me agreeing that Ansermet is an excellent Glazunov conductor. His Decca LP of "The Seasons" and Concert Waltzes is top drawer.

I like the EMI/Melodiya recordings that came out in the 1970's. Particular favourites are 7th Symphony and Oriental Rhapsody with Fedoseyev/Dudarova and 4th Symphony and Poeme Lyrique/Cortége Solennel with Rachlin/Rozhdestvensky.

I have various recordings of VC but not Milstein. It does not surprise me though as being the best version.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 17, 2019, 12:50:20 AM
Symphony 2 is one of the best I think and the 1966 recordings of symphonies and 2 and 3 (USSR Ministry of Culture SO) under Rozhdestvensky are both terrific.

Not doubting the quality of these performances.... but did the Ministry of Culture SO exist in 1966?  I thought it was an ensemble formed post the collapse of the Soviet Union. 1961-74 "his" orchestra between 61-74 was the Moscow RSO

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 17, 2019, 05:54:12 AM
Not doubting the quality of these performances.... but did the Ministry of Culture SO exist in 1966?  I thought it was an ensemble formed post the collapse of the Soviet Union. 1961-74 "his" orchestra between 61-74 was the Moscow RSO

Not sure but that does ring true to me.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 17, 2019, 02:11:30 AM
Classic Record Collector did a survey of Ansermet recordings, French was the largest group with 14 composers recorded. Surprisingly, the second largest group consists of Russian composers. Which is a long winded way of me agreeing that Ansermet is an excellent Glazunov conductor. His Decca LP of "The Seasons" and Concert Waltzes is top drawer.

I like the EMI/Melodiya recordings that came out in the 1970's. Particular favourites are 7th Symphony and Oriental Rhapsody with Fedoseyev/Dudarova and 4th Symphony and Poeme Lyrique/Cortége Solennel with Rachlin/Rozhdestvensky.

I have various recordings of VC but not Milstein. It does not surprise me though as being the best version.
That recording of the 7th Symphony on EMI/Melodiya was a wonderful performance.

Maestro267

I happened upon a Complete Symphonies box in a charity shop the other day. Absolute bargain, and I finally have these symphonies in my collection. This music is right up my street, probably the closest thing I've heard to Tchaikovsky, my desert island composer. I'm coming to the end of Symphony No. 2 right now, and what a magnificent piece this is! The slow movement especially.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 16, 2019, 02:52:07 AM
I happened upon a Complete Symphonies box in a charity shop the other day. Absolute bargain, and I finally have these symphonies in my collection. This music is right up my street, probably the closest thing I've heard to Tchaikovsky, my desert island composer. I'm coming to the end of Symphony No. 2 right now, and what a magnificent piece this is! The slow movement especially.
How great. Which recordings?

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 16, 2019, 09:54:21 AM
How great. Which recordings?

I think this was cross-posted from the What are you listening to thread - it was the Brilliant Classics mainly Polyansky cycle......

Maestro267

Yes. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

I'm terrible at words, but I have to say this has real serious potential to become one of my absolute favourite symphony cycles. Currently listening to No. 8.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 16, 2019, 12:26:07 PM
I think this was cross-posted from the What are you listening to thread - it was the Brilliant Classics mainly Polyansky cycle......

Yes, I did spot that thank you RS.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 16, 2019, 11:11:53 PM
Yes. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

I'm terrible at words, but I have to say this has real serious potential to become one of my absolute favourite symphony cycles. Currently listening to No. 8.

No problem and I also have that Brilliant set as well as ones by Svetlanov and Fedoseyev ( ::)). I think that Glazunov is a bit underrated as a composer and enjoy all of his symphonies. No.1 with 'The Kremlin' ( a fine work) is a disc I like very much nos 2 and 7 were always favourites and I've recently come to appreciate how good No.3 is especially after buying the Urania set (above). No.8 is the deepest of the lot and has an air of tragedy about it. I am very sorry that Glazunov never completed No.9 as the opening movement (completed by his student) is very touching and poignant. The coupling of Symphony No.3 with the fragment of Symphony No.9 on Naxos is a very nice combination. The Finnish Fantasy is another favourite (which I first came across as background music for a TV drama if Anna Karenina many decades ago). Also you might really like the Naxos CD featuring 'The Kremlin' which is my favourite of the Naxos releases featuring shorter works:

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 17, 2019, 02:11:30 AM

Somehow I missed this post Lol. Ansermet is one of my favourite conductors (Honegger Symphony 4 for example) and his LP below was my introduction to Glazunov. Oddly the performances features a small cut which I only realised when I heard a different recording years later:

Maestro267

Quote from: vandermolen on November 16, 2019, 11:32:11 PM
Also you might really like the Naxos CD featuring 'The Kremlin' which is my favourite of the Naxos releases featuring shorter works:

Yes, that "Kremlin" disc is absolutely on my radar, as is the one with Stenka Razin, and the complete recording of Raymonda.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 17, 2019, 04:06:40 AM
Yes, that "Kremlin" disc is absolutely on my radar, as is the one with Stenka Razin, and the complete recording of Raymonda.
Am sure you'll enjoy it and Stenka Razin is great fun (IMO). It features on the Urania disc I posted above.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 16, 2019, 11:40:59 PM
Somehow I missed this post Lol. Ansermet is one of my favourite conductors (Honegger Symphony 4 for example) and his LP below was my introduction to Glazunov. Oddly the performances features a small cut which I only realised when I heard a different recording years later:

In that issue Wolff is conducting "The Seasons" Jeffrey but Ansermet did indeed record the work for Decca (in stereo). I also have the Wolff (mono) recording on a LXT pressing.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 17, 2019, 05:18:53 AM
In that issue Wolff is conducting "The Seasons" Jeffrey but Ansermet did indeed record the work for Decca (in stereo). I also have the Wolff (mono) recording on a LXT pressing.

Yes, I realised that for decades I had imagined that Ansermet was the conductor! Especially as I have a Decca CD of Ansermet (definitely!) conducting the Seasons. I owe a debt of gratitude to Wolff clearly. I have never been averse to the occasional (hopefully) loud-mouthed display of ignorance on the GMG Forum! Thanks for the clarification my friend.

mjmosca

Another excellent performance of "The Seasons" is the one lead by Robert Irving, a master of conducting ballet, and very knowledgeable about Glazunov. I think it is on EMI. There are a number of performances that are "necessary" - Svetlanov, de Waart, Wolff, Ansermet and more!

I have purchased some of the symphony set by Jose Serebrier- I found the 5th to be a major disappointment, but, the 7th is the finest performance available, in my opinion. Serebrier has a great sympathy for Glazunov. We are so fortunate- I remember the "bad old days" when it was nearly impossible to find the Glazunov symphonies in the US. Mention must be made of The American Glazunov Society, lead by the indefatigable Donald Venturini of California [who died many years ago]. Donald would be ecstatic over the many recordings now available. thank you.

Daverz

Quote from: mjmosca on November 20, 2019, 04:07:39 AM
Another excellent performance of "The Seasons" is the one lead by Robert Irving, a master of conducting ballet, and very knowledgeable about Glazunov. I think it is on EMI. There are a number of performances that are "necessary" - Svetlanov, de Waart, Wolff, Ansermet and more!

I have purchased some of the symphony set by Jose Serebrier- I found the 5th to be a major disappointment, but, the 7th is the finest performance available, in my opinion. Serebrier has a great sympathy for Glazunov. We are so fortunate- I remember the "bad old days" when it was nearly impossible to find the Glazunov symphonies in the US. Mention must be made of The American Glazunov Society, lead by the indefatigable Donald Venturini of California [who died many years ago]. Donald would be ecstatic over the many recordings now available. thank you.

Agree about the Irving recording.  I have it on this great CD

And the Serebrier cycle is very fine and an incredible bargain. 

[asin] B07D58Y2VL[/asin]

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Daverz on November 21, 2019, 02:37:59 PM
Agree about the Irving recording.  I have it on this great CD

And the Serebrier cycle is very fine and an incredible bargain. 

[asin] B07D58Y2VL[/asin]

+1 for all Daverz says - my only additional comment is on the Irving disc is my favourite version of Walton's arrangement of Bach as a ballet - "The Wise Virgins" and a sparkling version of Tommasini's arrangement of Scarlati keyboard sonatas "The Good Humoured Ladies" - which is quite brilliantly payed by the Concert Arts orchestra