Glazunov's glass of vodka

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2008, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I have to say I'm rather impressed with the Violin Concerto after I listened to it more attentively the other day and this is a great performance:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Qhc2nCoCcPM

Mirror Image

I think one of the important points in understanding Glazunov's music is first to follow the melodic line of each of his works. Once you follow this line or 'narrative', you will see how each symphony, concerto, ballet, etc. is formed and you'll know where the arch of the work is at. With some composers, you don't have to do this of course, because every measure is an adventure within itself. With Glazunov, I feel that his music doesn't give up many secrets until you figure out what each work's architecture is and once you do, then these little pieces of the puzzle start appearing and you can start piecing them together. This has helped me tremendously and a lot of the feeling in his music isn't always visible, but I do believe his music rewards the listener who is willing to make an effort. Some listeners will argue that if the music is good then there doesn't need to be any effort on the listener's part. This is completely untrue and you can't apply that kind of ideology to every composer you encounter, because, if you did, then there would only be a small handful of composers that you like while the rest of them are 'unlistenable'.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2020, 06:48:09 AM
Some listeners will argue that if the music is good then there doesn't need to be any effort on the listener's part.

None other than your man Debussy argued that:

Beauty must appeal to the senses, must provide us with immediate enjoyment, must impress us or insinuate itself into us without any effort on our part.

:D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on May 25, 2020, 07:58:51 AM
None other than your man Debussy argued that:

Beauty must appeal to the senses, must provide us with immediate enjoyment, must impress us or insinuate itself into us without any effort on our part.

:D

Well, he was wrong. :) Some composers do take the effort to love. Not everything falls into one's musical lap on first-hearing.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2020, 09:03:44 AM
Not everything falls into one's musical lap on first-hearing.

True.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Maestro267

Listening to Symphony No. 5. I'd forgotten how utterly gorgeous the opening of the slow movement is.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 25, 2020, 10:06:36 AM
Listening to Symphony No. 5. I'd forgotten how utterly gorgeous the opening of the slow movement is.

Very nice. I'll have to get around to the 5th one day. :D I'm stuck on the 3rd and 7th at the moment. The 7th's slow movement is incredibly beautiful.

J

How would anyone compare the Rozshdestvensky & Svetlanov Symphony cycles?  Are there notable differences in the playing and interpretations (or sonics) that immediately become apparent?

Mirror Image

Quote from: J on May 25, 2020, 12:30:56 PMHow would anyone compare the Rozshdestvensky & Svetlanov Symphony cycles?  Are there notable differences in the playing and interpretations (or sonics) that immediately become apparent?

I haven't heard the Rozhdestvensky recordings, but I imagine there's not a huge difference between them in terms of audio quality --- Rozhdestvensky was recorded in the late 80s and Svetlanov's was in the early 90, so they were quite close in proximity in terms years they were recorded. As for the interpretations, I couldn't tell you, but Rozhdestvensky is an outstanding conductor and I imagine his Glazunov is first-rate. Svetlanov, of course, is splendid and fiery, but also lyrical and passionate. In all honesty, I would go with whatever set is the cheapest. It's a win/win scenario all the way.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2020, 01:11:06 PM
I haven't heard the Rozhdestvensky recordings, but I imagine there's not a huge difference between them in terms of audio quality --- Rozhdestvensky was recorded in the late 80s and Svetlanov's was in the early 90, so they were quite close in proximity in terms years they were recorded. As for the interpretations, I couldn't tell you, but Rozhdestvensky is an outstanding conductor and I imagine his Glazunov is first-rate. Svetlanov, of course, is splendid and fiery, but also lyrical and passionate. In all honesty, I would go with whatever set is the cheapest. It's a win/win scenario all the way.

I do know both cycles.  In the UK the Rozhdestvensky cycle first appeared on the short-lived Olympia label (as did his DSCH cycle too).  Both this cycle and Svetlanov feature what might be called "old-School" Russian/Soviet orchestral playing which I happen to love.  At a push I'd go for Svetlanov for extra brilliance and virile bravura.  Rozhdestvensky goes for a slightly grander approach.  Both are MUCH to be preferred over the lack-lustre Polyansky who fails to "light my fire" in just about any repertoire his dead hand touches.  Fedoseyev's old Moscow RSO is available as a super cheap download but the recording quality is variable but these were my introduction to these works back in the day of EMI/Melodiya LP's so I'm rather fond of them.  I assume the set on Brilliant is a later re-record and if so I have not heard them.....

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 26, 2020, 08:14:59 AM
I do know both cycles.  In the UK the Rozhdestvensky cycle first appeared on the short-lived Olympia label (as did his DSCH cycle too).  Both this cycle and Svetlanov feature what might be called "old-School" Russian/Soviet orchestral playing which I happen to love.  At a push I'd go for Svetlanov for extra brilliance and virile bravura.  Rozhdestvensky goes for a slightly grander approach.  Both are MUCH to be preferred over the lack-lustre Polyansky who fails to "light my fire" in just about any repertoire his dead hand touches.  Fedoseyev's old Moscow RSO is available as a super cheap download but the recording quality is variable but these were my introduction to these works back in the day of EMI/Melodiya LP's so I'm rather fond of them.  I assume the set on Brilliant is a later re-record and if so I have not heard them.....

I quite agree with you in regards to Svetlanov. What do you think of Serebrier's performances?

kyjo

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 25, 2020, 10:06:36 AM

The 5th Symphony is wonderful indeed. That thrilling finale never fails to get my pulse racing! My current favorite Glazunov symphonies are 1, 2, 5, and 6. Oddly enough, I listened to the highly regarded 8th recently and it left me rather unmoved. That said, it may be the type of work which requires several listens to give up its rewards. Or maybe I just wasn't in the mood that day!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 26, 2020, 10:12:20 AM
The 5th Symphony is wonderful indeed. That thrilling finale never fails to get my pulse racing! My current favorite Glazunov symphonies are 1, 2, 5, and 6. Oddly enough, I listened to the highly regarded 8th recently and it left me rather unmoved. That said, it may be the type of work which requires several listens to give up its rewards. Or maybe I just wasn't in the mood that day!

What performance of the 8th did you listen to, Kyle?

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2020, 10:19:32 AM
What performance of the 8th did you listen to, Kyle?

Serebrier/RSNO on Warner. These are the only recordings of the Glazunov symphonies I've listened to, tbh, and I generally enjoy them very much. But perhaps there are better alternatives for some of the symphonies...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 26, 2020, 10:24:48 AM
Serebrier/RSNO on Warner. These are the only recordings of the Glazunov symphonies I've listened to, tbh, and I generally enjoy them very much. But perhaps there are better alternatives for some of the symphonies...

Try Svetlanov. You'll thank me later. ;) :D

https://www.youtube.com/v/MsJKFirXMCI

kyjo

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 26, 2020, 10:49:13 AM
Will do, John. 8)

Definitely let me know what you think about it, Kyle. I personally haven't heard the 8th yet as I'm still relatively new to Glazunov's symphonies. I've only heard the 3rd and 7th so far and found them immensely enjoyable.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2020, 10:07:38 AM
I quite agree with you in regards to Svetlanov. What do you think of Serebrier's performances?

I enjoyed the Serebrier most of the "Western" cycles I know.  Otaka on BIS is good too with typically fine engineering but I like the swagger and pomp of Serebrier - fine 'ripe' engineering.  Generous and valuable couplings as well.  The RSNO play very well - as they did for Jarvi when he did his Chandos/Glazunov discs - their Seasons coupled with the Violin Concerto played by the very great Oscar Shumsky is a particular favourite.  But for "one cycle to rule them all" it would be Svetlanov!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 26, 2020, 11:01:52 AM
I enjoyed the Serebrier most of the "Western" cycles I know.  Otaka on BIS is good too with typically fine engineering but I like the swagger and pomp of Serebrier - fine 'ripe' engineering.  Generous and valuable couplings as well.  The RSNO play very well - as they did for Jarvi when he did his Chandos/Glazunov discs - their Seasons coupled with the Violin Concerto played by the very great Oscar Shumsky is a particular favourite.  But for "one cycle to rule them all" it would be Svetlanov!

Yeah, I've kind of cooled on Serebrier. Well-played but doesn't exactly light my heart of fire like Svetlanov. I've got that Jarvi recording you mentioned. I might have to revisit it.

Roasted Swan

Having said I enjoyed Serebrier I thought I ought to listen to a disc to make sure I wasn't talking any more nonsense than usual!  Just listened through to this one form the set;

a generous coupling of 2 of my enduringly favourite Glazunov works.  Pleased to say I did enjoy this recording a lot.  For sure the extra Soviet/Svetlanovian bite is missing but it is very good.  Lovely recording and the RSNO brass in fine form.  Also the wind solos in The Seasons beautifully taken.

A tangential question - I wonder why the Svetlanov/Philharmonia The Seasons remains a relative disappointment?  Somehow that day in the studio the magic just wasn't happening.......