Glazunov's glass of vodka

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2008, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Taneyev on January 12, 2011, 07:01:27 AM
I've the 7 quartets plus quintet plus suite plus elegy for SQ. All on Olympia by the Shostakovich SQ. But probably OOP. (recordings are from the 70s)
There are three volumes on MDG. No idea if they are any good and not familar with the group - Utrecht String Quartet. They are on MDG though, and they are usually pretty good with chamber.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ukrneal on January 12, 2011, 12:38:48 PM
There are three volumes on MDG. No idea if they are any good and not familar with the group - Utrecht String Quartet. They are on MDG though, and they are usually pretty good with chamber.

They ARE good. I have the entire, and am pleased with it. The works themselves may lack the intensity of Bartok or Shostakovitch for example, but they are well composed and on this set well played with good sound. I don't hesitate to recommend them to anyone interested in these works. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Taneyev

OK, but if you happen to find the Olympias, take them. The versions are really excellent.

Bulldog

bhodges

I'm reading all this with interest, since I enjoy Glazunov but haven't heard all that much of his output.  In February, however, I'll be hearing Branford Marsalis do the Saxophone Concerto, with Andrey Boreyko and the New York Philharmonic.  (Marsalis is also playing Schulhoff's Hot-Sonate).

--Bruce

Brian

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 12, 2011, 06:41:31 AM
OK - Is there a reason why Glazunov's string quartets aren't recorded, or rarely?  I heard snippets of the #4, Op.64 quartet (Utrecht String Quartet) and thought it was very nice!

If the quartets are as good as the quintet (two cellos), I'd be interested. The quintet is a lavishly upholstered, wonderfully romantic work where every instrument gets to sing its heart out. There's a great, great tune in the first movement especially. Thanks for pointing the quartets out to me! If the quintet (and novelettes) are any indication, the chamber medium really played to Glazunov's strengths.

Bruce - it's unseemly for this particular thread, but I'm excited on your behalf for the Schulhoff!

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on January 12, 2011, 02:25:31 PM
Bruce - it's unseemly for this particular thread, but I'm excited on your behalf for the Schulhoff!

Yes, don't want to derail the Glazunov talk, but that's going to be very exciting, too!

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: bhodges on January 12, 2011, 02:06:44 PM
with Andrey Boreyko and the New York Philharmonic.  (Marsalis is also playing Schulhoff's Hot-Sonate).

--Bruce

Great guy, and great conductor Bruce!  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on January 12, 2011, 02:25:31 PM
If the quartets are as good as the quintet (two cellos), I'd be interested.

Yes, I love the quintet and novelettes also Brian.  The little bits I did hear of the quartet# 4 sounded very Russian.  In other words, my cup of tea indeed.  I'll try and seek out either the Utrecht or Olympia set.

Taneyev

And BTW, don't forget his sax quartet.

Mirror Image

All of sudden there's a flood of interest in Glazunov?  ???  This thread hardly received any posts since June and now it's January. I guess people have finally woken up and recognized his talent for what it was and not for what it should've or could've been.

What I enjoy about Glazunov is he stuck to his own vision and didn't give a damn about what other people thought. Some call him a reactionary, some call him a loathsome, worthless composer, but I say he had more guts than anybody. Not everything he composed was great, but there are many gems in his output to be discovered.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2011, 03:26:50 PM
All of sudden there's a flood of interest in Glazunov?  ???  This thread hardly received any posts since June and now it's January. I guess people have finally woken up and recognized his talent for what it was and not for what it should've or could've been.

What I enjoy about Glazunov is he stuck to his own vision and didn't give a damn about what other people thought. Some call him a reactionary, some call him a loathsome, worthless composer, but I say he had more guts than anybody. Not everything he composed was great, but there are many gems in his output to be discovered.

We do this sort of thing on purpose just to keep you off stride... :D  I've always like the violin concerto, I've had one version or another for years. The string quartets were a target of opportunity, glad I got them despite that I wasn't looking for them. Serendipity is an odd thing, yes?   :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 12, 2011, 04:11:43 PM
We do this sort of thing on purpose just to keep you off stride... :D  I've always like the violin concerto, I've had one version or another for years. The string quartets were a target of opportunity, glad I got them despite that I wasn't looking for them. Serendipity is an odd thing, yes?   :)

8)

Yes, the Violin Concerto is a gorgeous work. For me, I think Glazunov was at his best when he's in a Rimsky-Korsakov like mode. Where he's spouting Russian and Oriental themes from left to right. Like Rimsky, Glazunov was an amazing orchestrator.

SonicMan46

MI - just wanted to join this thread at the moment - but you may want to change your title relative to the birth date, i.e. 1865! Dave  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan on January 12, 2011, 04:39:30 PM
MI - just wanted to join this thread at the moment - but you may want to change your title relative to the birth date, i.e. 1865! Dave  :D

Whoops...thanks for the correction.  :-[

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2011, 04:37:04 PM

Yes, the Violin Concerto is a gorgeous work. For me, I think Glazunov was at his best when he's in a Rimsky-Korsakov like mode. Where he's spouting Russian and Oriental themes from left to right. Like Rimsky, Glazunov was an amazing orchestrator.

Yes, agree with that. I prefer that mode with most Russians, if the truth be told. A contemporary in there is Mikhail Ippolitov-Ivanov, who was a master of that oriental/Caucasus theme composing. It holds a far greater attraction for me than any other 'Russian' style. :)

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 12, 2011, 04:51:37 PM
Yes, agree with that. I prefer that mode with most Russians, if the truth be told. A contemporary in there is Mikhail Ippolitov-Ivanov, who was a master of that oriental/Caucasus theme composing. It holds a far greater attraction for me than any other 'Russian' style. :)

8)

And let us not forget Lyadov who really worked well in that style.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2011, 05:11:05 PM
And let us not forget Lyadov who really worked well in that style.

Well, you will have to remember him without me, since he is new to me. However, he won't be for long. :) I won't derail the thread by asking for recs, but if you find a suitable place elsewhere, I'm interested. :)

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 12, 2011, 05:20:34 PM
Well, you will have to remember him without me, since he is new to me. However, he won't be for long. :) I won't derail the thread by asking for recs, but if you find a suitable place elsewhere, I'm interested. :)

8)

Gurn, try this Chandos disc out. You might want to try the audio samples first or go to Naxos Music Library to sample it. I think it's the best recording of Lyadov's various orchestral works (please stay away from the dreadful Naxos recording ---- mediocre performances all around):

[asin]B00005J71I[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2011, 05:35:37 PM

Gurn, try this Chandos disc out. You might want to try the audio samples first or go to Naxos Music Library to sample it. I think it's the best recording of Lyadov's various orchestral works (please stay away from the dreadful Naxos recording ---- mediocre performances all around):

Thanks, I will. Looks interesting. I may also get that one I was asking about in the 'Considering' thread. Between them they will also give me an intro to Tcherepnin too. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Talich Quartet \ Karel Rehak (Viola) - K 515 Quintet in C for Strings 1st mvmt - Allegro