Glazunov's glass of vodka

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2008, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 12, 2011, 05:52:03 PM
Thanks, I will. Looks interesting. I may also get that one I was asking about in the 'Considering' thread. Between them they will also give me an intro to Tcherepnin too. :)

8)

Since you enjoy Oriental and Russian folk melodies of Rimsky-Korsakov, Lyadov will be right up your alley. Hope you enjoy that recording.

madaboutmahler

Really (re)entering a Glazunov phase now! :) I love his music so very much, so adorable, beautifully crafted and enjoyable!
Always loved these works in particular:
Symphony no.4
The Seasons
Concert Waltzes
Violin Concerto
Stenka Razin

Soon shall be exploring his ballet Raymonda :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

vandermolen

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 18, 2011, 10:55:10 AM
Really (re)entering a Glazunov phase now! :) I love his music so very much, so adorable, beautifully crafted and enjoyable!
Always loved these works in particular:
Symphony no.4
The Seasons
Concert Waltzes
Violin Concerto
Stenka Razin

Soon shall be exploring his ballet Raymonda :)

I have just discovered 'From the Middle Ages' - a very nice piece and really like 'The Kremlin' - a characteristically soulful work (you can find them on the same Naxos CD below - which is my favourite in the series). Currently my favourite symphonies are 1,2,7 and 8 + the fragment of No 9 and have just purchased 'The King of the Jews' - which is a very melodic and memorable scores. The Seasons is a wonderfully inspiriting score.
[asin]B00000149S[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: vandermolen on October 19, 2011, 12:43:36 AM
I have just discovered 'From the Middle Ages' - a very nice piece and really like 'The Kremlin' - a characteristically soulful work (you can find them on the same Naxos CD below - which is my favourite in the series). Currently my favourite symphonies are 1,2,7 and 8 + the fragment of No 9 and have just purchased 'The King of the Jews' - which is a very melodic and memorable scores. The Seasons is a wonderfully inspiriting score.
[asin]B00000149S[/asin]

I was really looking forward to the Glazunov series by Naxos, but I thought most of the performances uninspiring, lackluster, and not at all well rehearsed, many sloppy orchestral passages, ignoring score marks, deliberate tempi, wrong headed sostenuto's, extreme and out of proportion crescendi, matter of fact recordings. So in the end I gave up. what I have are the Symphonies performed by Neeme Jarvi on Orfeo, most excellent performances, and some Chandos recordings. Glazunov badly played, give you the false idea, that his music is boring, which it is not. Unfortunately for me, the Naxos recordings are really bad!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 19, 2011, 12:43:36 AM
[asin]B00000149S[/asin]

Like Harry, I wasn't impressed with the Glazunov Naxos series either, my Dad owns them all. Once you hear From the Middle Ages conducted by Jarvi and performed by the Scottish National Orchestra, you will have a completely new appreciation for the work. Here's a recording I highly recommend:

[asin]B000000AJZ[/asin]

Superhorn

I  enjoy his music ,too.  Not only that, some people have even said I look like him , even if I'm not nearly as portly. 

Lisztianwagner

Maybe his compositions don't touch my heart as the Tchaikovsky, the Rachmaninov, the Shostakovich or even the Bortkiewicz do, but I really like Glazunov's music anyway, many of his works are very beautiful and enjoyable!
I especially adore symphonies No.4, No.5 & No.6, the Violin Concerto and The Seasons  :)

I don't know if what Shostakovich said was really true, but it would have been very funny to see Glazunov bending down to drink secretly during the lessons ....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Just thought I would come here and express my love for Glazunov's music again, listening to 'The Seasons' again for the first time in a few months. God, I love this piece so so so so so so much!  :-*

It is always the Ansermet recording I listen to. Probably because it's the only recording I own, ;) . Thinking of buying the Jarvi recording yet. Good choice? :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Dundonnell

Although, generally speaking, I can take Glazunov or leave him,  the opening of 'Autumn' from "The Seasons" always makes me smile and bathe in a nostalgic glow ;D
Way back...way, way back, when I was a lad-we are talking early 1960s here-we had no TV in my house so I spent my time listening to the radio. The BBC used the opening of 'Autumn' as the signature music for some drama series or other and I thrilled then at how both exciting and uplifting is that whole opening section.

In exactly the same way I can never hear the terrifying opening pages of Stravinsky's Symphony in Three Movements without remembering its use for another drama series on BBC Radio :)

TheGSMoeller

The title of this thread is very misleading...I'm outta here.

Karl Henning

I'd rather have enough of dis hooch in a glass, than a disc of Glazenough.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

What do you have against Glazunov?! What's not to like? Such lyricism, beauty, excitement and enjoyment in his music!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Oh, just not my thing, Daniel. Put down that hammer
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on March 30, 2012, 01:03:42 PM
Oh, just not my thing, Daniel. Put down that hammer

Ok, I understand, Karl. Hammer is down. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Philoctetes

My favorite piece of classical music was written by this man:

http://www.youtube.com/v/MeSvmhWVwxg

vandermolen

Quote from: Philoctetes on April 26, 2012, 05:00:26 PM
My favorite piece of classical music was written by this man:

http://www.youtube.com/v/MeSvmhWVwxg

What a lovely, introspective piece - never heard it before.  Many thanks for posting it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Philoctetes

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2012, 03:57:10 PM
What a lovely, introspective piece - never heard it before.  Many thanks for posting it.

You're very welcome. There's a video game, with original chamber compositions, called Arcanum which sounds quite similar.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Harry on October 19, 2011, 02:00:44 AM
I was really looking forward to the Glazunov series by Naxos, but I thought most of the performances uninspiring, lackluster, and not at all well rehearsed, many sloppy orchestral passages, ignoring score marks, deliberate tempi, wrong headed sostenuto's, extreme and out of proportion crescendi, matter of fact recordings. So in the end I gave up. what I have are the Symphonies performed by Neeme Jarvi on Orfeo, most excellent performances, and some Chandos recordings. Glazunov badly played, give you the false idea, that his music is boring, which it is not. Unfortunately for me, the Naxos recordings are really bad!
I have to say,I totally agree. Absolutely awful. The two,I own,are heading off to the charity shop! I remember the first time I heard any Glazunov symphonies were on old MK Lp's. My grandmothers record collection. I don't know who the performers were,but they were of soviet origin,the sound was nothing to write home about & the records were thick old vinyl,probably 60's,or even late 50's (anyone know?). Maybe not the greatest recordings,but they knocked spots of the Naxos efforts!

mszczuj

Do you have any information about recorded versions of the 1st symphony?

I have got only Svetlanov on Melodiya and there is nothing about it in the booklet.

The symphony was written in 1881-1882, the first revision was made in 1885, the second in 1929.

vandermolen

Quote from: mszczuj on July 22, 2012, 01:00:14 AM
Do you have any information about recorded versions of the 1st symphony?

I have got only Svetlanov on Melodiya and there is nothing about it in the booklet.

The symphony was written in 1881-1882, the first revision was made in 1885, the second in 1929.

I have several versions of it and think that Svetlanov's is the best, coupled with 'The Kremlin' a work I especially like too.