Glazunov's glass of vodka

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2008, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mszczuj

Yes, but I tried to ask about versions of scores used in particular recordings. I have found somewhere in Internet information that Fedoseyev used the 1929 revision, and that Serebier used one of the revised versions, but I don't know whichg one.

Or may be someone knows anything about differences between original and revisions?

vandermolen

Quote from: mszczuj on July 22, 2012, 05:00:34 AM
Yes, but I tried to ask about versions of scores used in particular recordings. I have found somewhere in Internet information that Fedoseyev used the 1929 revision, and that Serebier used one of the revised versions, but I don't know whichg one.

Or may be someone knows anything about differences between original and revisions?

Oh sorry - I misunderstood. Not too sure about different editions. I do know that Miaskovsky quotes from it in his 17th Symphony!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

carlos

And what about his chamber? 7 string quartets, a string quintet, the saxos quartet, several short movements for the Belaieff's gifts collective works, the suite for string quartet... :)
Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

pencils

Prodding this thread, because I have just pulled out my 17 Naxos discs this morning. Like some of the previous posters in this (now rather quiet) thread, I have a real love for Glazunov. I appreciate that for many, he falls short of Tchaikovsky and others of his ilk, but I enjoy his simple, Romantic, lyrical beauty. All his works are melodic, engaging and draw me into his sound world very quickly.

Naxos recordings? I can live with them, because they were my first introduction to this wonderful composer. I have some of the Chandos set, but probably because the Naxos were my introduction to Glazunov, I am happy to return  to their easy familiarity. I may need to poke some new recordings, also.

Favourite works, from memory? Symphonies 2, 3, 4, 8 along with Raymonda and The Seasons. Oh, and of course the VC and the String Quintet. And Stenka Razin. And From The Middle Ages.

And the other stuff too  :D

I look forward to reqacquainting myself with his output, after a good four years without him.

vandermolen

I recently listened to the Third Symphony on an ASV recording which I liked very much.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pencils

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2013, 02:08:33 AM
I recently listened to the Third Symphony on an ASV recording which I liked very much.

I was listening to the Naxos 3 while driving to work this morning. At least 50 minutes of the journey was bearable as a result.

vandermolen

Quote from: pencils on August 20, 2013, 05:39:36 AM
I was listening to the Naxos 3 while driving to work this morning. At least 50 minutes of the journey was bearable as a result.

The opening movement is especially strong. The coupling is Stenka Razin - so it makes about an hour of my drive to work bearable!

madaboutmahler

Does everyone here know the 2nd piano concerto? I have been listening to it so much recently, and absolutely adore it, I really do. Such a gorgeous, lyrical, charming piece. Really connect to it! :)

Going to make a real effort to hear the rest of the symphonies, as I only know 4 and 5. (Love both very much!)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 22, 2013, 01:33:37 PM
Does everyone here know the 2nd piano concerto? I have been listening to it so much recently, and absolutely adore it, I really do. Such a gorgeous, lyrical, charming piece. Really connect to it! :)

Going to make a real effort to hear the rest of the symphonies, as I only know 4 and 5. (Love both very much!)

I will listen to it again, Daniel.  I've only had 'first listens' to all the symphonies and concertos.  I remember enjoying pretty much everything, on first listen.

I listened to the Serebrier/RSNO/RNO set of symphonies and concertos.

kyjo

Hey, what do y'all think of Glazunov's Symphony no. 8? :D I think it is a unique work in Glazunov's output. It is his most troubled and introverted work, for sure. For some reason, many passages in this work remind me of Elgar 2 in their nobility and inner turmoil and sadness. The slow movement, appropriately marked Mesto, is an especially poignant utterance which makes it into my top 10 slow movements. In many ways, this work points the way forward to Miaskovsky's later symphonies.

Lisztianwagner

I should definitely try to listen to both the 1st and the 2nd Piano Concerto, so far I've only known Glazunov's orchestral compositions (apart from the Violin Concerto), plus the ballet The Seasons. Today I heard the fantasy The Sea for the first time and I absolutely loved it; such a powerful, beautifully atmospheric work, with a very colourful, evocative orchestration.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

lescamil

I know both of the piano concertos. Ok, they're not the greatest that late romanticism has to offer in that genre, but they are really charming pieces that have some great moments. I'm partial to the first piano concerto myself. That dotted rhythm motive in the first movement is quite infectious.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

vandermolen

These were fine performances and now very cheap:
[asin]B00DUPU6PG[/asin]

Parsifal

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 22, 2013, 03:21:24 PM
I should definitely try to listen to both the 1st and the 2nd Piano Concerto, so far I've only known Glazunov's orchestral compositions (apart from the Violin Concerto), plus the ballet The Seasons. Today I heard the fantasy The Sea for the first time and I absolutely loved it; such a powerful, beautifully atmospheric work, with a very colourful, evocative orchestration.

I recently listened to The Sea, first by Seberier, then by Jarvi (Chandos recording).  It was amazing how different the mood is.  Jarvi's recording struck me as much more "Wagnerian."

Quote from: lescamil on September 22, 2013, 10:37:17 PM
I know both of the piano concertos. Ok, they're not the greatest that late romanticism has to offer in that genre, but they are really charming pieces that have some great moments. I'm partial to the first piano concerto myself. That dotted rhythm motive in the first movement is quite infectious.

The First concerto struck me as utterly brilliant.  The second, not as much, admittedly after limited exposure.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: kyjo on September 22, 2013, 03:21:05 PM
Hey, what do y'all think of Glazunov's Symphony no. 8? :D I think it is a unique work in Glazunov's output. It is his most troubled and introverted work, for sure. For some reason, many passages in this work remind me of Elgar 2 in their nobility and inner turmoil and sadness. The slow movement, appropriately marked Mesto, is an especially poignant utterance which makes it into my top 10 slow movements. In many ways, this work points the way forward to Miaskovsky's later symphonies.

I shall definitely be listening to this then.... Thanks for mentioning it. :)

Good to read so much feedback on the Glazunov piano concerti. I did start listening to the 1st concerto, but kept on getting the urge to listen to the 2nd again! I just love it so much..... :) One of those pieces I'd happily just listen to over and over again.
— Ludwig van Beethoven

kyjo

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 23, 2013, 10:38:31 AM
I shall definitely be listening to this then.... Thanks for mentioning it. :)

Good to read so much feedback on the Glazunov piano concerti. I did start listening to the 1st concerto, but kept on getting the urge to listen to the 2nd again! I just love it so much..... :) One of those pieces I'd happily just listen to over and over again.

Yes, Symphony no. 8 is among Glazunov's best works. Have you heard it previously, Daniel? I'll have to revisit the PCs due to your enthusiasm for them. I remember enjoying them quite a bit! :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: kyjo on September 23, 2013, 11:43:18 AM
Yes, Symphony no. 8 is among Glazunov's best works. Have you heard it previously, Daniel? I'll have to revisit the PCs due to your enthusiasm for them. I remember enjoying them quite a bit! :)

I hadn't actually heard it previously, Kyle! I'm coming close to the end of my first listen now, and have absolutely loved the piece! The first two movements are so moving and beautiful in particular! I agree with you on the poignancy of the slow movement! Perhaps doesn't quite overtake 4 as my favourite Glazunov symphony, but I enjoyed it very very much! :)

And I'm glad my enthusiasm for the PCs are prompting quite a few people to listen to them! The 2nd is  0:) 0:)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Parsifal

Quote from: vandermolen on September 23, 2013, 03:50:59 AM
These were fine performances and now very cheap:
[asin]B00DUPU6PG[/asin]

How is the sound in this set of recordings?

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 22, 2013, 03:21:05 PM

Perhaps his greatest symphony and very poignant. The fragment of Symphony 9 is also a favourite of mine.

kyjo

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 23, 2013, 01:37:21 PM
I hadn't actually heard it previously, Kyle! I'm coming close to the end of my first listen now, and have absolutely loved the piece! The first two movements are so moving and beautiful in particular! I agree with you on the poignancy of the slow movement! Perhaps doesn't quite overtake 4 as my favourite Glazunov symphony, but I enjoyed it very very much! :)

And I'm glad my enthusiasm for the PCs are prompting quite a few people to listen to them! The 2nd is  0:) 0:)

Excellent, Daniel! Glad you enjoyed it. 8)