Glazunov's glass of vodka

Started by vandermolen, June 01, 2008, 02:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 23, 2013, 02:15:54 PM
Perhaps his greatest symphony and very poignant. The fragment of Symphony 9 is also a favourite of mine.

Agreed! If I'm not mistaken, the fragment of Symphony no. 9 was only recorded by Naxos. I recall enjoying it, but the performances in the Naxos series aren't always up to par.

Parsifal

Quote from: vandermolen on September 23, 2013, 02:15:54 PM
Perhaps his greatest symphony and very poignant. The fragment of Symphony 9 is also a favourite of mine.

Yes, the Seberier recording of this piece is very impressive.  It is unfortunate that Glazunov didn't finish the work.  I have the impression his work might have risen to a new level.

Lisztianwagner

Just came after listening to Glazunov's piano concerti; I liked both of them very very much, but I was particularly impressed by the 2nd Piano Concerto, I played it twice in a row. ;D What an incredibly gorgeous composition, gently melodious and beautifully elegant, but also very passionate, thrilling and powerful; the instruments depict a really inspiring atmosphere, at times pervaded by a light poetical touch of melancholy, especially in the first movement. The piano part often sounds almost lisztian to me, althought not with such a brilliant virtuosity.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

mszczuj

I must say that for me Glazunoiv have been always absolutely the first rate composer to the point that I can't stop neglecting he is neglected. So I can't understand all this surprised voices about particular works. Excellent? But of course, this is Glazunov.

vandermolen

Quote from: mszczuj on September 23, 2013, 09:11:26 PM
I must say that for me Glazunoiv have been always absolutely the first rate composer to the point that I can't stop neglecting he is neglected. So I can't understand all this surprised voices about particular works. Excellent? But of course, this is Glazunov.

I agree. Nice 900th post!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Current DBM listen - two performances of this beauty!  :) I know Daniel will pound his table!  :D

Glazunov

The Seasons, Op. 67

Serebrier
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Warner Classics

[asin]B006W7SV5Q[/asin]

Ashkenazy
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Decca

[asin]B002HI6XUO[/asin]

madaboutmahler

The table has been pounded! :D

Brilliant piece - Ansermet is my favourite recording. Jarvi also very good! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

dhibbard

I like the Svetlanov cycle of his works... Jarvi recorded his symphonies and others.. but didn't have that punch (missing the brass or is muted) like the USSR SO did.

Ken B

Splendid composer. The Brilliant box is outstanding and cheap. His piano music is slight but always pleasant, like Grieg.

vandermolen

One of my favourite Glazunov CDs, especially for The Kremlin and the Middle Ages Suite.
[asin]B00000149S[/asin]
Also look out for his 'King of the Jews' a little known, moving score:
[asin]B00000149Z[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Quote from: mszczuj on September 23, 2013, 09:11:26 PM

ok, if there's one Composer who I've dismissed out-of-hand, it's Glazunov. I sampled the Violin Concerto last night, and wondered if I'd been... uh... mm... wrong... all these years. Mmm.

So, be gentle with me, but, give it to me in 3 Easy Steps. What's the Best All-Time Glazunov?,.. and mind you, I NEED Minor Keys or I probably won't be persuaded,... but, I'm willing to be open minded and gullible and naive...

I've heard that Symphony No.5 is, what?, the 'Slavic', but I'm not trying to put ideas up. String Quartets? I really don't know what he's good for, and do I really want to listen to 'The Seasons'? :-X

Anyhow, I'm here to turn myself in.

Brahmsian

Quote from: snyprrr on June 18, 2014, 06:31:55 AM
ok, if there's one Composer who I've dismissed out-of-hand, it's Glazunov. I sampled the Violin Concerto last night, and wondered if I'd been... uh... mm... wrong... all these years. Mmm.

So, be gentle with me, but, give it to me in 3 Easy Steps. What's the Best All-Time Glazunov?,.. and mind you, I NEED Minor Keys or I probably won't be persuaded,... but, I'm willing to be open minded and gullible and naive...

I've heard that Symphony No.5 is, what?, the 'Slavic', but I'm not trying to put ideas up. String Quartets? I really don't know what he's good for, and do I really want to listen to 'The Seasons'? :-X

I am not a fan of the saxophone.  However, you must try Glazunov's Alto Saxophone Concerto.  Even I love it!  :D

The Seasons is a fantastic piece.

String Quintet and Five Novelettes are wonderful chamber works, and the two very different Piano Concertos.  The Violin Concerto is a masterpiece!

La Mer is another great piece (yes, Glazunov's, not Debussy's)  :D

snyprrr

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 18, 2014, 06:54:36 AM
Even I love it!  :D

fantastic piece.

wonderful  different  masterpiece!

another great piece

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

uncle uncle

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on June 18, 2014, 06:31:55 AM

Symphonies 2, 7 and 8 are my favourites and the early No. 1 is very engaging. The Seasons of course, The Kremlin and Stenka Razin are enjoyable.

Brahmsian

For Snypps, this is a great set, recommended to me that I enjoy.  It includes the complete symphonies, complete concertos and some other orchestral works (Raymunda Ballet Suite, The Seasons, La Mer, etc.):

[asin]B006W7SV5Q[/asin]

I also recommend this recording, which includes the Five Novelettes and String Quintet, performed by the Fine Arts Quartet:

[asin]B000MRP1WS[/asin]

snyprrr

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 20, 2014, 08:46:45 AM
For Snypps, this is a great set, recommended to me that I enjoy.  It includes the complete symphonies, complete concertos and some other orchestral works (Raymunda Ballet Suite, The Seasons, La Mer, etc.):

[asin]B006W7SV5Q[/asin]

I also recommend this recording, which includes the Five Novelettes and String Quintet, performed by the Fine Arts Quartet:

[asin]B000MRP1WS[/asin]

I was going to start with the Violin concerto, since that's what brought me here. Vengerov or Shaham?

SonicMan46

Well, this thread has been dormant for a year - but I just received a JPC order (12 discs) from 'across the pond' - mainly picking sales items from MDG, CPO, and a few other labels - included 3 CDs of Glazunov's String Works show below w/ the Utrecht String Quartet - these have been discussed briefly in the thread and several other volumes are available - so far enjoying the music and these performances; plus, as usual I cannot fault the MDG sound.

But these are the first chamber works that I've owned of this composer (have much of his orchestral output), so just curious how these may rank w/ other performers - any comparative thoughts?  Thanks - Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on June 20, 2014, 09:15:55 AM
I was going to start with the Violin concerto, since that's what brought me here. Vengerov or Shaham?

I've only heard Heifetz, and I rather like it:

[asin]B0006PV5U8[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

I think that Symphony No.2 is the best of the eight completed symphonies and Stenka Razin is a hoot - so it is a very enjoyable CD and a good introduction to Glazunov who I think is underrated as a composer. CD cover (Melodiya) won't appear on screen but never mind. The old Olympia CD of the same recording is available on Amazon UK at under £2.00 (Rozhdestvensky, USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra).
Here is a link anyway:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glazunov-Symphony-Romantic-Intermezzo-Symphonic/dp/B0028IFQA6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443342507&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Glazunoc+olympia

vandermolen

Having been listening to the endearing, reflective and moving 'King of the Jews' in a version with more emphasis on the choral sections. It is one of my favourite works by Glazunov. I like the story that he protected his Jewish students when the office of the repressive Prime Minister Stolypin phoned to ask how many Jewish students there were at the St Petersburg Conservatory (where Glazunov was Director) by replying 'I don't know - we don't count them':
[asin]B00004TD55[/asin]